Since I am going to the Preist AGAIN.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2012, 02:24 AM
RE: Since I am going to the Preist AGAIN.
(16-09-2012 01:49 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 01:23 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Yeah, maybe. I'll seriously check for that shit, thanks.

I can just see you in jail or in the psych section of the ER: "eeeees a molestor, a molestor I tell you. I heard someone say he might be--that means he is. You can tell by the white collar eees wearing--that's why I pepper-sprayed him! It wasn't because he laughed at the dress I was wearing--it's because he's a molessssssssster! Why don't you listen to me!

Quote:Again, I am not thinking he did it, but I am not going to just think it is perfectly safe. If he did do it, I will begin to HATE him.

Known pedophilic preists have been relocated and still in the preistly positions, so it is not uncommon for them NOT to quit being a child counciler. The Catholic church has a lot of sway in believers.

You do realize it's usually a willing situation, right? It's not legal. It's not moral. But it's not usually a forceful rape situation. If you don't want to be molested, I think at your age you could just say, "No." Actually, he probably would test you first to see if you were even willing. May I suggest not swimming in the rectory pool with him alone while wearing a tight pair of speedos. Just a suggestion.

I really do not think he is personally thinking the priest is an evil molester. Rather he's just uncomfortable being in a one on one session with him.

It's important to try and stay away from a burn the witch(or priest) mentality.

Now the thing that is apparent is that his parents desire to reprogram him. Rather than accepting his beliefs they favor forced re-education.

Its not exactly something a loving parent would do.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
16-09-2012, 02:35 AM
(16-09-2012 02:23 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  How old are you? If you don't mind my asking.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
16-09-2012, 03:24 AM
A2, you have my sympathies. Growing up in a Catholic school, I've had my fair share of attempted reprogrammings. I can understand it from their point of view. If they really believe they are saving your soul, then they really are doing what they believe is best for you.

But the mental image of you or anyone being forced to sit there for 3 hours with someone who makes you uncomfortable, that just really pisses me off. Children should have rights too. If you were an adult, this would be illegal.

The best thing about being (legally) a child though is that at some point, it ends.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
16-09-2012, 03:47 AM

Children should have rights, too? So, if a nine-year-old wants to work as a stripper, that would be okay?

What rights exactly do you think children should have?
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2012, 03:55 AM
(16-09-2012 03:47 AM)Egor Wrote:  Children should have rights, too? So, if a nine-year-old wants to work as a stripper, that would be okay?

No, you're right. I don't mean it like that at all. There are some decisions children aren't old enough to make.
However, I don't think they should be forced into something against their will. I mean, beyond the minimum stuff which is illegal, like school. But forcing children to go to church, take up a sport they don't want to take up, spend time with people who make them uncomfortable.
I'm pretty sure A2 isn't being dragged kicking and screaming, so it's not as bad as I'm imagining it to be. I just think we should give kids a certain amount of freedom to make their own choices. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to sign my kid over to a summer camp unless my kid co-signs. Something like that.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
16-09-2012, 04:09 AM
(16-09-2012 03:55 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 03:47 AM)Egor Wrote:  Children should have rights, too? So, if a nine-year-old wants to work as a stripper, that would be okay?

No, you're right. I don't mean it like that at all. There are some decisions children aren't old enough to make.
However, I don't think they should be forced into something against their will. I mean, beyond the minimum stuff which is illegal, like school. But forcing children to go to church, take up a sport they don't want to take up, spend time with people who make them uncomfortable.
I'm pretty sure A2 isn't being dragged kicking and screaming, so it's not as bad as I'm imagining it to be. I just think we should give kids a certain amount of freedom to make their own choices. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to sign my kid over to a summer camp unless my kid co-signs. Something like that.
I do anything to make it less trouble. I don't like to escalate things.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
16-09-2012, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2012 04:46 AM by Janus.)
(16-09-2012 03:24 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Growing up in a Catholic school, I've had my fair share of attempted reprogrammings. I can understand it from their point of view. If they really believe they are saving your soul, then they really are doing what they believe is best for you.

In my case it was an orthodox reformed boys' boarding school, run by ministers and theological graduates, so I can comiserate.

The way I dealt with it was that I incessantly debated my teachers (graduated ministers) on the basis of logic (born out of necessity: I didn't know enough yet to quote bible passages verbatim)! Since it is easy to checkmate any believer with logic (and you get better at it all the time; fast!), I generally won those debates (a 14/15 year old punk vs. 15 to 30 years older theological graduates). Which gave me a good feeling. And made it possible for me to 'endure' the situation. While my classmates were grateful to me for distracting their teacher's attention in class. Big Grin
Those debates also gave notice to my religious teachers not to attempt to 'convert' me to 'the good side' by e.g. 'sitting down' and having 'heart-to-heart one-on-ones'. So they never even tried! I like to think because they were loathe to be trashed again by that obnoxious kid. But whatever it did, it worked!

Quote:The best thing about being (legally) a child though is that at some point, it ends.

That "best thing" is debatable, imo. Because that "some point" when it ends is the day your carefree childhood ends and the day you will be singularly responsible, and held accountable, for your own actions. It will also be the day you will have to start paying for everything yourself. Everything! For the rest of your life.

Oh, and the best thing for me?
My revenge was sweet: I got to third base with my main religious teacher's daughter... Big Grin
(She was nice though! And didn't mind one bit!)
16-09-2012, 06:48 AM
(16-09-2012 01:50 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Hey Egor, do you really think I'm the king of the cows? LOL Tongue

Wait. You mean you're NOT ? Blink

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-09-2012, 06:55 AM
In Germany, we have a law that prevents parents from forcing their children to go to church once they reach the age of 14. Yes

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
16-09-2012, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2012 11:18 AM by Bucky Ball.)
There are two things, at least going on here.
1. When A^2's parents adopted him, they had NO clue they were getting a genius level kid they were gonna have to deal with. If he is an only child, they also have very little experience in raising kids. They, in their own way, only want what they think is best for him. They do love him, and A^2 loves them. They ALL need to be careful here not to hurt each other, and cause an irreparable breach, they will all regret the rest of their lives. So family counseling may be a good way to go here.

2. A^2 has indicated he does not want "escalation". The religion thing is almost irrelevant. In a couple years, he will be out, and at school, and free to express his views any way he wants. Meanwhile, he finds community here, and probably with his friends. Maybe "discretion", ("I don't want to discuss this right now") is an option ? The insertion of religion as an absolute element, in his relationship with his patents is not necessary. It can be dialed down, and omitted. They can agree to disagree, eventually, (some day, if they continue their relationships, this will have to happen), and/or, not discuss it now. As A2 gets older, and control is no longer an issue, he can come to see the religion thing, as only a (albeight odd), small (foible), part of the mom he loves.

3. The priest issue can be dealt with, (see the other's suggestions..). At some point, not far off, the priest is not going to keep up 3 hour sessions, if he gets that he's not getting anywhere. No one can FORCE A2 to talk about anything. They can force him to sit there. He does not have to engage in a conversation he does not wish to have. Next time, A2 can just keep saying, "can I go now, ..... can I go now". OR, since the priest is likely at least somewhat familiar with Aquinas, Ambrose, etc.. use the sessions as a positive skill building practice in dealing with those arguments. Recently, (for example), I ran into someone trying to say St. Ambrose's arguments are the same as the Incompleteness Theorem of Godel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%...s_theorems . Prepare for the sessions, and agree at the end of each session what will be the topic of the next. Just make a game of it. Take control, set the agenda for the talks.

(And A2, you are a big kid...if he tries anything, which is VERY unlikely, you know you can just deck him, and lay him out flat,...and if you don't really know/understand that, go take some judo lessons, or take a girl friend, and just take a self-defense class, (it would make your mom think "hmm, he really WAS worried about his safety") and prove it to yourself...martial arts are fun, and a good way to keep fit. My sweet little meek and mild, niece was in your position...a genius, and didn't like conflict...my brother didn't know what to do with her. So he had her take martial arts classes...she had a black belt when she was like 10-12....NO one messes with her now !!! ).

More unsolicited advice. If you want to be a film director, time's a wastin'. Get your ass in gear, and take a class at your community college, and other stuff. By the time you get there, you should have tested out of, or completed 1/2 of college. Are you doing high school in 3 years ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post