Since I am going to the Preist AGAIN.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2012, 09:22 AM
RE: Since I am going to the Preist AGAIN.
I appear to have missed the opportunity to relay any advice prior to your conversation with the priest. I would have advised first watching the intelligence^2 debate on the topic "Is the Catholic Church a force for good in the world"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtuD2CKY-U
Hitchens and Fry smoke the competition.

Otherwise general advice is that nerves being amped-up going in is not only natural but a good thing. It should help keep you on your toes, but also makes it very easy to allow your emotions to intervene when your logic should dominate.

Since it has already occurred, it is no surprise to see how he tried to move the conversation along. He was trying to appeal to emotion, not logic or reason. The moral argument is as tired a debate as exists. You could have trounced that opinion using Rick Santorum as an example alone.

And Egor,
Being an atheist means constantly doubting oneself and one's beliefs. It is not disbelief that generates confidence, it is knowledge.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2012, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2012 11:50 AM by Atothetheist.)
(16-09-2012 08:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There are two things, at least going on here.
1. When A^2's parents adopted him, they had NO clue they were getting a genius level kid they were gonna have to deal with. If he is an only child, they also have very little experience in raising kids. They, in their own way, only want what they think is best for him. They do love him, and A^2 loves them. They ALL need to be careful here not to hurt each other, and cause an irreparable breach, they will all regret the rest of their lives. So family counseling may be a good way to go here.

2. A^2 has indicated he does not want "escalation". The religion thing is almost irrelevant. In a couple years, he will be out, and at school, and free to express his views any way he wants. Meanwhile, he finds community here, and probably with his friends. Maybe "discretion", ("I don't want to discuss this right now") is an option ? The insertion of religion as an absolute element, in his relationship with his patents is not necessary. It can be dialed down, and omitted. They can agree to disagree, eventually, (some day, if they continue their relationships, this will have to happen), and/or, not discuss it now. As A2 gets older, and control is no longer an issue, he can come to see the religion thing, as only a (albeight odd), small (foible), part of the mom he loves.

3. The priest issue can be dealt with, (see the other's suggestions..). At some point, not far off, the priest is not going to keep up 3 hour sessions, if he gets that he's not getting anywhere. No one can FORCE A2 to talk about anything. They can force him to sit there. He does not have to engage in a conversation he does not wish to have. Next time, A2 can just keep saying, "can I go now, ..... can I go now". OR, since the priest is likely at least somewhat familiar with Aquinas, Ambrose, etc.. use the sessions as a positive skill building practice in dealing with those arguments. Recently, (for example), I ran into someone trying to say St. Ambrose's arguments are the same as the Incompleteness Theorem of Godel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%...s_theorems . Prepare for the sessions, and agree at the end of each session what will be the topic of the next. Just make a game of it. Take control, set the agenda for the talks.

(And A2, you are a big kid...if he tries anything, which is VERY unlikely, you know you can just deck him, and lay him out flat,...and if you don't really know/understand that, go take some judo lessons, or take a girl friend, and just take a self-defense class, (it would make your mom think "hmm, he really WAS worried about his safety") and prove it to yourself...martial arts are fun, and a good way to keep fit. My sweet little meek and mild, niece was in your position...a genius, and didn't like conflict...my brother didn't know what to do with her. So he had her take martial arts classes...she had a black belt when she was like 10-12....NO one messes with her now !!! ).

More unsolicited advice. If you want to be a film director, time's a wastin'. Get your ass in gear, and take a class at your community college, and other stuff. By the time you get there, you should have tested out of, or completed 1/2 of college. Are you doing high school in 3 years ?

I may be fifteen but I weigh 112.2 pounds. I am only big in height Tongue

Defense may be good, but remember, I need my parents to accept it, and drive me there, something they probably aren't going to do.

The stupid Sister has made it so Religion has taken up my whole week:

Monday: "Jesus's Message" Class. Tuesday: Bible "History"Wednesday: First world religion class. Thursdays: Only Free day I have. Friday: Bible Orgins.

Saturday:Second Religion class, Preist session, and First Church. Sunday: Second church.

I highly doubt I have time to go with Martial Arts and keep on my busy scheduale with school and being on here.

This community is very important, and I want to be on here as much as possible.

I'll ask, but I doubt I will be able to.

Simply not talking to the preist will just make things worse

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
16-09-2012, 12:55 PM
(16-09-2012 11:40 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  ...and drive me there, something they probably aren't going to do.

Something wrong with your legs, your bike, or the bus?
16-09-2012, 12:57 PM
(16-09-2012 12:55 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 11:40 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  ...and drive me there, something they probably aren't going to do.

Something wrong with your legs, your bike, or the bus?

Mhm, cuz I can totally walk, ride a bike, or on a bus to a place which I don't have time for. Not only that but someone has to pay for Martial Arts classes, which is something I can't do simply because my job, which is Babysitting, isn't going to be able to pay for the fees and shit.

16-09-2012, 01:09 PM
(16-09-2012 11:40 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I may be fifteen but I weigh 112.2 pounds. I am only big in height Tongue

Goddam, ain't weighed that since I was 8. That's like one of my legs. Lift big rocks off the ground and start eating more protein, like a shitload more, fat and carbs too. Your parents feeding you? They ain't vegans are they?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
16-09-2012, 01:11 PM
(16-09-2012 01:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 11:40 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I may be fifteen but I weigh 112.2 pounds. I am only big in height Tongue

Goddam, ain't weighed that since I was 8. That's like one of my legs. Lift big rocks off the ground and start eating more protein, like a shitload more, fat and carbs too. Your parents feeding you? They ain't vegans are they?

My brother is a fat ass, and he takes almost all my food away from me, seeing as my parents just drop it off and leave it on the desk in my room.

16-09-2012, 01:16 PM
(16-09-2012 01:11 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 01:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Goddam, ain't weighed that since I was 8. That's like one of my legs. Lift big rocks off the ground and start eating more protein, like a shitload more, fat and carbs too. Your parents feeding you? They ain't vegans are they?

My brother is a fat ass, and he takes almost all my food away from me, seeing as my parents just drop it off and leave it on the desk in my room.

Shit, then you don't even need to invest in dumbbells or barbells to get big. Just start wrestling your fatass brother. But wait until after he's eaten your food 'cause then he'll be slow and nearly dormant, like after a snake eats.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-09-2012, 01:17 PM
(16-09-2012 01:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 01:11 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  My brother is a fat ass, and he takes almost all my food away from me, seeing as my parents just drop it off and leave it on the desk in my room.

Shit, then you don't even need to invest in dumbbells or barbells to get big. Just start wrestling your fatass brother. But wait until after he's eaten your food 'cause then he'll be slow and nearly dormant, like after a snake eats.
I could do that... But then he would break my back by just sitting on it. He ways nearly three hundred pounds.. And he is quite the cheater.

9/10 he is going to go for my balls.

16-09-2012, 01:35 PM
(16-09-2012 01:17 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 01:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Shit, then you don't even need to invest in dumbbells or barbells to get big. Just start wrestling your fatass brother. But wait until after he's eaten your food 'cause then he'll be slow and nearly dormant, like after a snake eats.
I could do that... But then he would break my back by just sitting on it. He ways nearly three hundred pounds.. And he is quite the cheater.

9/10 he is going to go for my balls.

Bollinger Necktie. Can't reach your nads.

16-09-2012, 01:36 PM
(16-09-2012 01:17 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  9/10 he is going to go for my balls.

So that would be excellent preparation for undesirable encounters with priests...