Since when has "Alt-Right" been synonymous with white nationalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2016, 08:02 PM
RE: Since when has "Alt-Right" been synonymous with white nationalism?
(24-11-2016 07:36 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 06:32 PM)epronovost Wrote:  The KKK also has a black supporters. There are homosexual who are rabbidly anti gay rights and think they are sick. There is also a significant number of women who happen to be incredibly mysognistic. Having a (insert minority group here) friend or supporter doesn't make you not racist.

Fucking love this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2016, 08:20 PM
(23-11-2016 04:29 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 04:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I don't really know much about the "Alt-Right", but the general approach to any political division these days seems to be: why actually discuss issues when you can just slap a label on your opponent(s) and demonize him/them?

Richard Spencer, the man who coined the term, is a self proclaimed white supremacist.

That probably would be a good reason to think Alt-Right is synonymous with white supremacy. May not necessarily be true that everyone in the Alt-Right is racist, but you couldn't blame someone for coming to that conclusion based on that fact alone.
24-11-2016, 11:09 PM
(24-11-2016 08:20 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 04:29 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Richard Spencer, the man who coined the term, is a self proclaimed white supremacist.

That probably would be a good reason to think Alt-Right is synonymous with white supremacy. May not necessarily be true that everyone in the Alt-Right is racist, but you couldn't blame someone for coming to that conclusion based on that fact alone.

Except that it isn't true. Richard Spencer stole the term that was being kicked around by guys like Paul Gottfried and Patrick Ford. I've read how they used the term and it had nothing to do with racism. These guys were using the term "alternate right" to describe right wingers that didn't fit the mold of a regular neoconservative. Richard Spencer is a clown.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
24-11-2016, 11:16 PM
(24-11-2016 11:09 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(24-11-2016 08:20 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  That probably would be a good reason to think Alt-Right is synonymous with white supremacy. May not necessarily be true that everyone in the Alt-Right is racist, but you couldn't blame someone for coming to that conclusion based on that fact alone.

Except that it isn't true. Richard Spencer stole the term that was being kicked around by guys like Paul Gottfried and Patrick Ford. I've read how they used the term and it had nothing to do with racism. These guys were using the term "alternate right" to describe right wingers that didn't fit the mold of a regular neoconservative. Richard Spencer is a clown.

In a country where 'feminist' is a dirty word, I'll not have any love lost for some right wingers having their preferred label high-jacked and smeared. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
24-11-2016, 11:23 PM
(24-11-2016 08:20 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  That probably would be a good reason to think Alt-Right is synonymous with white supremacy. May not necessarily be true that everyone in the Alt-Right is racist, but you couldn't blame someone for coming to that conclusion based on that fact alone.

Yes and no, It's true that Gottfried used it first to describe conservative groups and ideologue that were not represented by mainstream conservative. This Alternative Right was composed, amongst other things, by openly racist groups which were rejected by mainstream conservatives. Gottfried was using the term Alt-Right to describe H.L Mencken who was a racist, antisemitic, aristocratic. He was also a social darwinist. These people were rejected by modern conservative hence the term Alt-Right.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
25-11-2016, 02:10 AM

Then why won't trump denounce him? Did you see the hail trump video? Trump throws a Twitter fit over SNL, Hamleton, New York Times, to name a few, over any perceived slight, but remains somewhat silent on this...his team released blurb about racism that was really vague, especially when you consider how direct he can be, demanding apologies and shit.

Why isn't he calling out this "clown" out and telling him to shut the fuck up?

Dodgy

I don't think he wants to. That means to me, either he's a coward and afraid piss off what seems to be a portion of his base or...

He actually agrees and is pleased by all this.

Time will tell I suppose.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-11-2016, 04:46 AM
It isn't.

The left just says it is.
25-11-2016, 05:48 AM
(25-11-2016 04:46 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  It isn't.

Since when has feminism, liberalism, or social justice been synonymous with the regressive left?

It isn't.

The right just says it is.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
25-11-2016, 07:22 AM
Beginning to sound like another one of those terms that means whatever the user wants within a limited range of definitions.

Wiki has:
Quote:The alt-right (short for "alternative right") is a loose group of people with far right ideologies who reject mainstream conservatism in the United States.[1][2] The alt-right has no formal ideology, although various sources have stated that white nationalism is fundamental.[1][2][3] It has also been associated with white supremacism,[4][5][6] Islamophobia,[7][8][9][10] antifeminism,[1][11] homophobia,[12][13][14] antisemitis ethno-nationalism,[16] right-wing populism,[3] nativism,[17] traditionalism, and the neoreactionary movement.[4][18] The movement lacks a consensus ideology, and has further been associated with multiple groups from American nationalists, neo-monarchists, far-right leaning men's
rights advocates, and people who oppose mainstream conservatism.[19][20]

The use of words and phrases even changes the "official" definition over time and can actually almost reverse the meaning, as in "sophisticated".

Even the best of commentators too often words or phrases wrongly, stretching their definition or context to the point of misunderstanding in the audience. Or they can, of course, do so deliberately. . . Rhetoric, especially political rhetoric, which few really understand, is often full of such stretches in meaning.

Which is why I never believe what any politician says, only what they actually do or that which can be corroborated via an independent source.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
25-11-2016, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2016 08:14 AM by Metazoa Zeke.)
(25-11-2016 05:48 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-11-2016 04:46 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  It isn't.

Since when has feminism, liberalism, or social justice been synonymous with the regressive left?

It isn't.

The right just says it is.

Well seeing as each have done things (well maybe not liberalism) have done some really stupid shit like this http://heatst.com/world/feminist-snow-pl...tandstill/

and spread lies like these http://time.com/3222543/wage-pay-gap-myth-feminism/

what do you expect? For it to cause progress?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube