Single Malt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2017, 04:25 PM
RE: Single Malt
Picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Original. Very nice.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
06-05-2017, 06:29 PM
(06-05-2017 04:25 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Original. Very nice.

I have a bottle of that, but haven't opened it yet. I promised myself not to open any new bottles until I finish the ones I already have open (now down to 6). I'm currently working on a bottle of The Glenlivet 12YO, which is also very nice. It's funny how a whole bunch of Scotch whiskies are named "Glen-something".
Find all posts by this user
06-05-2017, 09:25 PM
(06-05-2017 06:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  It's funny how a whole bunch of Scotch whiskies are named "Glen-something".

Whenever I hear of a whisky with "Glen" in its name, odds are good that it's one I can drink. I have a definite preference for Highland over Islay Scotch, mostly because of a low tolerance for smoky flavours.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2017, 09:34 PM
(06-05-2017 09:25 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 06:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  It's funny how a whole bunch of Scotch whiskies are named "Glen-something".

Whenever I hear of a whisky with "Glen" in its name, odds are good that it's one I can drink. I have a definite preference for Highland over Islay Scotch, mostly because of a low tolerance for smoky flavours.

I have the good fortune to like both kinds (as well as Bourbon and Rye and "single pot still" Irish), but the smoky Islay whiskies are my favorites.

Still, I'm not complaining about my Glenlivet (just finished a wee dram a little while ago). That is some mighty tasty whisky.
07-05-2017, 03:15 AM
Had an after work dinner at my new job last week. Before and after we went to the pub next door, the Black cat, Edinburgh. It's on Trip advisor.They had a hundreds of different whiskies to try and a menu as a thick book. I tried a Kilchoman which is a new Islay that I hadn't heard of before. Apparently the first new Islay distillery since 1881.

Will be taking holidays in the highlands this summer, concentrating on the islands this time. I've been meaning to go to Islay for a while now. A few distillery trips are required I think.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
08-05-2017, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2017 05:25 PM by MustangManda.)
I must confess I can't stand peet so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

A while back I had the good fortune to try some Glenlivet Nadurra (aged 16 years) that a friend had brought to share, it was wonderful. I went out and bought a bottle for myself immediately. If you can find it, it's worth it (was ~$70 I think). Before Nadurra, my favorite scotch was Macallan 21... which unfortunately costs far too much $$$$$ for my blood. :-( I like Nadurra about as much, for a much more reasonable price.

Generally, to avoid peet, I'll stick with Bourbons, Irish whiskey, or the occasional Canadian whisky. Favorites are Angels Envy, Maker's 46, Tullamore Dew, and Knappogue Castle (Irish single malt).

Since the original thread was about "spirits", I'll also say I'm a HUGE fan of gin or a good spiced rum (for straight sipping). Vodka not so much, too plain on its own.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
08-05-2017, 05:54 PM
(06-05-2017 03:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  ETA: I just checked the "wine-searcher" website, and according to them, the closest place to Wisconsin that has Caol Ila 18YO is in Washington, D.C., and they want $300 for one bottle.

Shocking Sound's like that's another one that's been discontinued, and they're selling off old stock at a premium.
The last bottle of it I got around here was purchased for $89.

<sigh>

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
08-05-2017, 05:59 PM
(06-05-2017 06:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have a bottle of that, but haven't opened it yet. I promised myself not to open any new bottles until I finish the ones I already have open (now down to 6). I'm currently working on a bottle of The Glenlivet 12YO, which is also very nice. It's funny how a whole bunch of Scotch whiskies are named "Glen-something".

Heh. Not to mention a whole bunch named "Glenlivet". The distillery used to sell (or perhaps lease is a better word) rights to their name to other nearby distilleries. Hence "The Glenlivet" for the original. Don't know if they still do that, though.

--
Dr H

08-05-2017, 06:07 PM
(08-05-2017 05:13 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  I must confess I can't stand peet so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

A while back I had the good fortune to try some Glenlivet Nadurra (aged 16 years) that a friend had brought to share, it was wonderful. I went out and bought a bottle for myself immediately. If you can find it, it's worth it (was ~$70 I think). Before Nadurra, my favorite scotch was Macallan 21... which unfortunately costs far too much $$$$$ for my blood. :-( I like Nadurra about as much, for a much more reasonable price.

Generally, to avoid peet, I'll stick with Bourbons, Irish whiskey, or the occasional Canadian whisky. Favorites are Angels Envy, Maker's 46, Tullamore Dew, and Knappogue Castle (Irish single malt).

Since the original thread was about "spirits", I'll also say I'm a HUGE fan of gin or a good spiced rum (for straight sipping). Vodka not so much, too plain on its own.

I've never turned away a free drink, so I've pretty much run through them all, including even <shudder> tequila. But if I'm paying for it, I'm going for Scotch 99% of the time. Bourbon can offer a similar array of different expressions, but there always seems to be an underlying sweetness that I really don't care for. Some good Irish whiskies for sure, and a few interesting, well-aged ryes are starting to show up around here recently.

Vodka? Might as well buy straight ethanol and dilute with water to your desired strength.
Gin, only if there's nothing else, and I'm pretending be British and need to take my quinine. Wink

--
Dr H

08-05-2017, 06:20 PM
(08-05-2017 06:07 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 05:13 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  I must confess I can't stand peet so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I've never turned away a free drink, so I've pretty much run through them all, including even <shudder> tequila. But if I'm paying for it, I'm going for Scotch 99% of the time. Bourbon can offer a similar array of different expressions, but there always seems to be an underlying sweetness that I really don't care for. Some good Irish whiskies for sure, and a few interesting, well-aged ryes are starting to show up around here recently.

Vodka? Might as well buy straight ethanol and dilute with water to your desired strength.
Gin, only if there's nothing else, and I'm pretending be British and need to take my quinine. Wink

Yup, I'm a sucker for sweet, most of the whiskies I love are on the sweeter side, Angels Envy is aged in port wine barrels so it's fairly sweet, and aged&spiced rum is kind of like sweet-as-hell whiskey (at least the ones I like, aged in whiskey barrels). Gin isn't really sweet at all though, but I still love it. Mmmmm bitter (I also love IPAs).Drooling

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein