Single Malt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2017, 06:50 PM
RE: Single Malt
(06-05-2017 03:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 04:38 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Seen any Caol Ila 18, lately?

No, but I haven't had a chance to look for it, either. The "grocery store" liquor store that I get to regularly definitely doesn't have it (they carry only the 12YO and a 15YO cask strength unpeated), but I will check Steve's Liquor (a better store with a wider selection) next time I get there.

ETA: I just checked the "wine-searcher" website, and according to them, the closest place to Wisconsin that has Caol Ila 18YO is in Washington, D.C., and they want $300 for one bottle. Nope. Not that interested. I will still check Steve's next time I'm there, but I don't expect to see any of that.
You can't find it in Chicago?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2017, 03:54 PM
(08-05-2017 06:20 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  Yup, I'm a sucker for sweet, most of the whiskies I love are on the sweeter side, Angels Envy is aged in port wine barrels so it's fairly sweet, and aged&spiced rum is kind of like sweet-as-hell whiskey (at least the ones I like, aged in whiskey barrels). Gin isn't really sweet at all though, but I still love it. Mmmmm bitter (I also love IPAs).Drooling
Don't know where you're at, but Oregon is the place for you. Over the last few years it seems like nearly all of our available craft beers -- and there are a lot of them -- have been given over to either IPAs, or pale ales hopped up to the level of what used to be considered an IPA just a few short years ago.
Local brewers seem to have forgotten about malty brews (bocks, scotch ales, etc.) and thrown the concept of "balance" out with the spent grain.

The hop fanaticism in the PNW has reached a level where it reminds me of the drunken fraternity contests of bygone days, where guys would see who could eat the most and the hottest hot peppers, and not retch. Except now instead of eating peppers, it's drinking hops.

Don't get me wrong: I like hops. But I also like my beer to taste like beer, and not pure hop tea.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
09-05-2017, 04:58 PM
(08-05-2017 06:50 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(06-05-2017 03:45 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  No, but I haven't had a chance to look for it, either. The "grocery store" liquor store that I get to regularly definitely doesn't have it (they carry only the 12YO and a 15YO cask strength unpeated), but I will check Steve's Liquor (a better store with a wider selection) next time I get there.

ETA: I just checked the "wine-searcher" website, and according to them, the closest place to Wisconsin that has Caol Ila 18YO is in Washington, D.C., and they want $300 for one bottle. Nope. Not that interested. I will still check Steve's next time I'm there, but I don't expect to see any of that.
You can't find it in Chicago?

I have no easy way to get to Chicago, so I can't say. I was just going by what "wine-searcher" says. I don't know how comprehensive they are.
09-05-2017, 06:43 PM
(09-05-2017 03:54 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 06:20 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  Yup, I'm a sucker for sweet, most of the whiskies I love are on the sweeter side, Angels Envy is aged in port wine barrels so it's fairly sweet, and aged&spiced rum is kind of like sweet-as-hell whiskey (at least the ones I like, aged in whiskey barrels). Gin isn't really sweet at all though, but I still love it. Mmmmm bitter (I also love IPAs).Drooling
Don't know where you're at, but Oregon is the place for you. Over the last few years it seems like nearly all of our available craft beers -- and there are a lot of them -- have been given over to either IPAs, or pale ales hopped up to the level of what used to be considered an IPA just a few short years ago.
Local brewers seem to have forgotten about malty brews (bocks, scotch ales, etc.) and thrown the concept of "balance" out with the spent grain.

The hop fanaticism in the PNW has reached a level where it reminds me of the drunken fraternity contests of bygone days, where guys would see who could eat the most and the hottest hot peppers, and not retch. Except now instead of eating peppers, it's drinking hops.

Don't get me wrong: I like hops. But I also like my beer to taste like beer, and not pure hop tea.

Yeah, I'm getting a lot tired of brewers hopping onto the hops wagon. Agreed, I like hops as well, but it's getting like pepper in a salad. Stop grinding that shit in already!
10-05-2017, 04:33 PM
(09-05-2017 03:54 PM)Dr H Wrote:  

I too am tired of the hop onslaught, more hops isn't always better. Hops have their place, and don't need to be prevalent in every beer. I appreciate a tastefully hopped IPA, and my favorite trend lately has been fresh-hops, but it's certainly not the only kind of beer I drink.
I'm in CA, and make regular trips to WA, so I get plenty of hops. I am also extremely picky about what KIND of hops (e.g. Citra is my favorite, can't stand Amarillo, Cascade hops are hit and miss for me).

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
10-05-2017, 05:28 PM
(10-05-2017 04:33 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  I too am tired of the hop onslaught, more hops isn't always better. Hops have their place, and don't need to be prevalent in every beer. I appreciate a tastefully hopped IPA, and my favorite trend lately has been fresh-hops, but it's certainly not the only kind of beer I drink.
I'm in CA, and make regular trips to WA, so I get plenty of hops. I am also extremely picky about what KIND of hops (e.g. Citra is my favorite, can't stand Amarillo, Cascade hops are hit and miss for me).

Cascade seems to be the Swiss army knife of hops: kind of useful for a lot of different applications, but not all that distinctive in any particular one of them.

I really like Saaz, and brew with them a lot, but they're easily overwhelmed by other flavors, and work best in the lighter brews.
Like summer brews. Like ... hmm... maybe it's time for me to put up a batch of summer lager. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
10-05-2017, 05:53 PM
*hiccup*

Blush
04-08-2017, 07:48 AM
I'm about to finish my last bottle of blended Scotch (Johnnie Walker Green Label, which is pretty tasty). All I will have left after that is single malt Scotch (a number of different ones) and various Irish whiskeys.

Laphroaig has just announced/released this year's Cairdeas edition, which is basically a cask strength version of their Quarter Cask whisky. Now, Laphroaig Quarter Cask is the best whisky I've tasted so far, but I'm not sure what the point of a cask strength version is (the regular Quarter Cask is already 96 proof). It's not really drinkable without adding water, and then you've basically got regular Quarter Cask! Nevertheless, I will probably get a bottle.
04-08-2017, 08:46 AM
(04-08-2017 07:48 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  All I will have left after that is single malt Scotch and.....

Awwwwwwwwww, you poor, poor thing. Censored
Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
04-08-2017, 08:59 AM
After visiting a few distilleries in Kentucky last summer, I have jumped onto the bourbon bandwagon.

A couple of my favorites are: Jefferson's Ocean, Rebel Yell 10, and McKenna 10.

Attached is a photo of the growing collection.

This afternoon, I will pour myself a glass of Blanton's.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user Likes aloneinalabama's post