Single Malt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2017, 08:43 AM
RE: Single Malt
I current have three Balvenie in battery: Caribbean Cask, Double Wood, and Single Wood. Happy little kaiju.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
10-11-2017, 08:51 AM
I was recently given a bottle of J. Walker Platinum (yes, a blend). Personally, I cannot see paying that price for any of their upscale blends but it was a very nice gesture.

What do you all think. Once I get past the JW black label I cannot taste much difference.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
10-11-2017, 11:00 AM
(10-11-2017 08:51 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I was recently given a bottle of J. Walker Platinum (yes, a blend). Personally, I cannot see paying that price for any of their upscale blends but it was a very nice gesture.

What do you all think. Once I get past the JW black label I cannot taste much difference.

I've never tried any of the expensive blends, but I doubt that I could tell the difference in a blind taste test. Of the JWs, I've tried Red, Black, Double Black, and Green, and liked them all. Green was the best (and most expensive), but not by that much, and I wouldn't turn my nose up at any of them. Whatever is better about the blue, platinum, etc. can't be worth paying 4 or 5 times as much for them. That's just crazy.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
10-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Chivas Regal Extra is a very nice blend for a rather modest price. (About 160% of the price of the regular Chivas in this area.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2017, 06:33 PM
For the past few months, my policy has been to finish each bottle of whisk(e)y before opening another one. Last night, I said "to hell with that policy" -- I'm going to do my tour of Islay in a slightly different fashion. In particular, I'm doing the whole Kildalton coast together. So after sampling Ardbeg 10 Thursday night, I tried Lagavulin 16 last night, and Laphroaig 10 tonight. Tomorrow I plan to do a side-by-side comparison of the three, but I have already compared a few things.

The Ardbeg is a distinctly lighter color than the other two, which makes me think it's probably the only one of the three without any added color. Give it a point for that, I guess, but I'm not that much of a purist, and I don't think the added color affects the taste, so it's not a big deal for me.

All three are peaty (no surprise there), but not identically so. The peat aromas and flavors are slightly different from one to another, and though all three also have some sweetness in the taste, there is more going on in the Lagavulin than the other two -- it seems the most complex. That may reflect its greater maturity (strangely, there is no Lagavulin 10 -- the 16 YO is their flagship).

I will be alternating between these three for the next few months, so I expect to get to know them better. I already like all three -- peated Scotch FTW!
13-11-2017, 03:37 PM
(11-11-2017 06:33 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  For the past few months, my policy has been to finish each bottle of whisk(e)y before opening another one.
Ouch. If I had a policy like that I'd die before I reached the end of the collection. Yes

Quote:The Ardbeg is a distinctly lighter color than the other two, which makes me think it's probably the only one of the three without any added color.
Correct. Here are some I know for sure don't add color:

Ardbeg
Arran
Balblair
Benriach
Benromach
Bladnoch
Bruichladdich
Bunnahabhain
Deanston
Edradour
Glendronach
Glenfarclas
Glengoyne
Glenglassaugh
Glenrothes
Hazelburn
Highland Park
Kilchoman
Kilkerran
Port Charlotte
Macallan
Octomore
Tullibardine

There may be others. Ardbeg, also, is not chill-filtered.

Quote:All three are peaty (no surprise there), but not identically so. The peat aromas and flavors are slightly different from one to another, and though all three also have some sweetness in the taste, there is more going on in the Lagavulin than the other two -- it seems the most complex. That may reflect its greater maturity (strangely, there is no Lagavulin 10 -- the 16 YO is their flagship).
For whatever reason the Lagavulin 16yo is sometimes hard to find in these parts; I get it when I can. But I prefer the Laphroaig by a narrow margin. Actually, I prefer the Laphroaig 10yo to the Laphroaig 15yo and 18yo versions. Plenty of complexity for me, and just a little more "bite" that I appreciate with all of the peat.

For my annual Halloween whisky-tasting (adult trick-or-treaters get a shot of single malt), a friend brought of some Glenmorangie Lasanta, 12yo, sherry cask finished. He was ecstatic that he found a malt that I actually hadn't tried. And I was pleasantly surprised:

This is an incredibly smooth malt, that went done more like a shot of French brandy than a Scottish whisky, no sensation of alcohol, though it has plenty of that. A touch of sweetness; nutty -- I get hazelnut and walnut; -- a bit of orange, raison, and a hint of spice (allspice?). Long finish with some subtle spice, orange, and finally butterscotch.

Very nice non-peaty dram, and quite reasonably priced, as well.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
13-11-2017, 04:02 PM
(13-11-2017 03:37 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(11-11-2017 06:33 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  For the past few months, my policy has been to finish each bottle of whisk(e)y before opening another one.
Ouch. If I had a policy like that I'd die before I reached the end of the collection. Yes

Here's my problem, though. I've been told that whisk(e)y has a shelf life of about 2 years once it's open. I don't know if I believe that, but if it's true, I don't want to have too many bottles open at once, or some of them will "expire" before I can finish them. My collection is approximately 50 bottles at the moment (about 3/4 of those are single malt Scotch, and the rest are Irish), so I might die before I finish them all, no matter how I do it. Also, having only one bottle open means I can drink that one every night for a few weeks and really get familiar with it.

Quote:Ardbeg, also, is not chill-filtered.

That may have something to do with the alcohol content. Ardbeg 10 is 46%, the other two are 43%. I've been told that whatever benefit chill-filtering has is lost at 46% or above. I don't believe the Laphroaig Quarter Cask (48%) is chill-filtered, either.

Quote:
Quote:All three are peaty (no surprise there), but not identically so. The peat aromas and flavors are slightly different from one to another, and though all three also have some sweetness in the taste, there is more going on in the Lagavulin than the other two -- it seems the most complex. That may reflect its greater maturity (strangely, there is no Lagavulin 10 -- the 16 YO is their flagship).
For whatever reason the Lagavulin 16yo is sometimes hard to find in these parts; I get it when I can. But I prefer the Laphroaig by a narrow margin. Actually, I prefer the Laphroaig 10yo to the Laphroaig 15yo and 18yo versions. Plenty of complexity for me, and just a little more "bite" that I appreciate with all of the peat.

After my three-way taste test yesterday, I also concluded that I liked the Laphroaig a bit better than the other two, although I have no complaints about any of them. I am looking forward to having the variety available for the next month or two (one of the benefits of having more than one bottle open). Then it's on to Bowmore, Bruichladdich, etc.