Single Malt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2016, 01:15 PM
RE: Are you interested in spirits?
This is what I would have posted even if it was a religious question. Tongue

Currently there is a bottle of Macallan's 12 YO Scotch here at the house. I like that and Glenfiddich, but the Glenfiddich sometimes tastes a little too peaty. I bought a bottle of Bowmore, once. Never again, way too peaty. Islays just don't please my mouth. I've had Pinch, Famous Grouse, Chivas Regal (in several different guises) and Jameson's , but Macallan's hits me best. Scotch stays with me. If I have too much, I'll be feeling it when I wake up in the morning.

Back when CostCo was selling Courvoisier XO for $80 a bottle, I'd pick one up once in awhile. It's $140+ at BevMo. Should've stocked up, but one of my sons can empty one in 3 days. Now that he's on the wagon, maybe I'll drop some money a bottle again. That stuff is great. No long lasting effect, like Scotch. Go figure. I also like Hennesy's VS and Courvoisier VSOP.

Bourbon, I like Wild Turkey 101 Proof and Jim Beam Devil's Cut. I've had Maker's Mark and the other grades of Jim Beam, but don't care for them as much.

Rum, not so much a fan, and I have yet to find a flavor of Tequila that doesn't gag me. Malibu Rum (yeah, I know) I love. I love anything with coconut. Maybe I'll buy a jug of it next Friday when I'm at Costco.

Vodka to me is just alcohol you pound to get drunk. I like flavors, so don't much drink vodka.

Gin? Blech. You can have it all.

Any spirits I consume are taken neat.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
23-08-2016, 01:37 PM
My favourite Scotch is Balvenie Doublewood. I can't drink the peatier Scotches, as I have a low tolerance for smoky things.

I also like brandy and rum. I haven't had vodka in a drink for decades, although I've used it for homemade vanilla (cut up vanilla beans, drop into a small bottle of vodka, wait a few weeks). Haven't had gin in so long I barely remember what it tastes like.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
23-08-2016, 04:34 PM
The Irish gaelic for whiskey is uisce beatha, and it translates as " water of life". My favourite whiskey is Redbreast..

[Image: yWf1WAO.jpg]

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
23-08-2016, 04:57 PM
I don't partake often anymore at all. But my poison is good Cognac. I particularly like Courvoisier XO. That is the one I buy for myself, maybe one bottle a year. I have had better but refuse to pay for it, lol. Just don't take me out to dinner at a nice place and let me pick an after-dinner Cognac. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Strangely, Laphroaig doesn't appeal to me at all. Anybody want most of a bottle?
23-08-2016, 05:30 PM
(23-08-2016 05:07 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Strangely, Laphroaig doesn't appeal to me at all. Anybody want most of a bottle?

Is that the one that tastes like iodine?
23-08-2016, 05:46 PM
I've never tasted iodine.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
23-08-2016, 06:52 PM
(23-08-2016 05:46 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I've never tasted iodine.

Laugh out load If you've ever smelled it, you know what it tastes like, believe me. Hobo

I used to make explosives using iodine in my teens. Good times!
24-08-2016, 12:58 AM
(23-08-2016 09:49 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 09:12 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

Anyone here interested in spirits? I’m currently involved with Glenivet (a sweet Speyside single malt) and Talisker (a salty single malt from the Western islands). Others are waiting quietly in the cellar.

The Glenlivet came with some ‘whisky stones’ which are actual stones that you freeze and put in the whisky like ice cubes. That way it avoids diluting the dram.

What’s your poison?

D.
Most of my tipple is Speyside. I currently have on the shelf:

Speyburn
Aultmore
Lismore
Tomintoul
Glen Moray

Have you tried The Balvenie? Double casked, oak and cherry. Angel

Hi Gawdzilla,

Nice collection. Smile

The Glen Moray is a smooth drop and not too expensive. I have Auchentoshan, Ledaig, Aberlour, Craigellachie, Inchgower, Fettercairn.

A few years back I had some extra cash and bought some bottles from Gordon Macphail, under the heading of 'Conossieur's Choice'. The difference between a £30 bottle of whisky and a £60 bottle was most notable.

I'll try out the Balvenie next. Thumbsup

D.
24-08-2016, 01:02 AM
(23-08-2016 01:15 PM)Fireball Wrote:  This is what I would have posted even if it was a religious question. Tongue

Fireball,

You got the joke. Smile

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post