Single Malt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2016, 04:38 AM
RE: Are you interested in spirits?
(24-08-2016 12:58 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 09:49 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Most of my tipple is Speyside. I currently have on the shelf:

Speyburn
Aultmore
Lismore
Tomintoul
Glen Moray

Have you tried The Balvenie? Double casked, oak and cherry. Angel

Hi Gawdzilla,

Nice collection. Smile

The Glen Moray is a smooth drop and not too expensive. I have Auchentoshan, Ledaig, Aberlour, Craigellachie, Inchgower, Fettercairn.

A few years back I had some extra cash and bought some bottles from Gordon Macphail, under the heading of 'Conossieur's Choice'. The difference between a £30 bottle of whisky and a £60 bottle was most notable.

I'll try out the Balvenie next. Thumbsup

D.
I've had Aberlour from your list, the others just made mine. Thumbsup

I shoot for the $40-$60 range for the fine. For everyday the Lismore, et al., are perfectly acceptable. We have a huge liquor store near us that advertises they have 700 whiskies. I asked them how many whisky. Only one of them knew what I was talking about. I hope he does the buying.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2016, 05:28 AM
I'm four days sober, but I still have fond memories of Absinthe.

[Image: absinthe-fairy-and-glass.jpg?w=584]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
24-08-2016, 06:42 AM
(24-08-2016 05:28 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I'm four days sober, but I still have fond memories of Absinthe.

I also have fond memories of Absinthe,, although there have been a few nights on the Absinthe that I can't remember at all.Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
24-08-2016, 07:24 AM
I've over-indulged in some familiar spirits, causing me to pray to the porcelin god in tongues, lol. Buick and Ralph were my mantra.
[+] 1 user Likes Captain Congo's post
24-08-2016, 07:27 AM
(24-08-2016 05:28 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I'm four days sober...

Thumbsup

Yes

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-08-2016, 08:09 AM
(24-08-2016 05:28 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I'm four days sober, but I still have fond memories of Absinthe.

A friend brought me a bottle of absinthe she picked up Europe, no label on it. I was impressed that she got through Customs with that but she managed.

Haven't opened it yet, four years along. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2016, 02:10 PM

Aaah, you know what they say: "Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder."

OK, I know it's bad. Unsure

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
24-08-2016, 02:57 PM
I have a bottle of The Glenlivit 18 which I break out nite and again. I've also gotten very into bourbon lately. Woodford I'd my current preference, but I'll happily drink Markets as well. I've found a lot of good bourbons lately.

I always drink them neat or on the rocks. If your spirits need to be cut with something, you're drinking the wrong type.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
24-08-2016, 03:51 PM
(24-08-2016 02:57 PM)BnW Wrote:  I have a bottle of The Glenlivit 18 which I break out nite and again. I've also gotten very into bourbon lately. Woodford I'd my current preference, but I'll happily drink Markets as well. I've found a lot of good bourbons lately.

I always drink them neat or on the rocks. If your spirits need to be cut with something, you're drinking the wrong type.

BnW,

I have a glass of Glenlivet on the go right now. Smile

However, good bourbon can match a good scotch. Over here we have the Woodford, Jack Daniels et al. I like Buffalo Trace, which is mid price but tastes better to me. Also Makers Mark is pretty good.

Bourbon is a sweet drink, a bit like Scottish lowland malt. It doesn't have that salt and peat flavour of the sea and the hills. Maybe the sweetest of bourbons is Four Roses, a rare find here in the UK.

Japanese whiskies are coming over here now, but I haven't tried one yet.

D.
24-08-2016, 05:22 PM
I'll have to look into the Woodford. Sounds like it might be OK. Guess I'll look for one of those little bottles. That may not be the way to go, though. The one time I tried Courvoisier XO in one of those little bottles it was nasty.