Single Malt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2016, 09:10 AM
RE: Are you interested in spirits?
(26-08-2016 01:43 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 11:16 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Tartarus Sauce is gearing up for a scotch and whiskey taste-a-thon. He's not normally a scotch drinker, so I felt it was my responsibility to at least expose him to the elixir of the Gods... if for no other purpose than to be able to participate in threads like these. Smile

He will begin collecting miniature bottles of scotch and whiskey (as directed by me) that are available in various stores in his area.

Mind helping me come up with a decent list? Remember I want good and bad ones on there.

Good:
Glenlivit 18 is a must have

Moderate:
Crown Royal

Bad:
Johnny Walker Red
Jim Beam (Does JB Belong down here?)

Aliza,

Agreed on the Johnny Walker and Jim Beam. My nadir was a Canadian spirit called 'Old Redwood'. It had been in the shop so long the bottle was stuck to the shelf. I kept it around for a while as medicinal, but in the end it had to go away. Sad.

D.

PS - I don't want to knock the makers too much, maybe it was just my taste buds?

When I was stationed in Sicily with the USN my roomie used to buy an Italian "scotch" called "Crazy Horse". I used to take the bottle and cross out the word "scotch" on it when he brought some home. Cool
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2016, 01:22 PM
How much do you really know about spirits? Take a quiz.

http://offbeat.topix.com/quiz/16332?tr=m...8,v5vdh5a5

I sucked, got the first five then missed the next six and quit. Sadcryface2

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-08-2016, 02:26 PM
(26-08-2016 01:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  How much do you really know about spirits? Take a quiz.

http://offbeat.topix.com/quiz/16332?tr=m...8,v5vdh5a5

I sucked, got the first five then missed the next six and quit. Sadcryface2

Full Circle,

Me too with the first five and then it got tough. End score was 44%.

D.
26-08-2016, 03:02 PM
I got 90%. The ones I missed were stupid.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-08-2016, 04:53 PM
In early June my parents went to Russia and did a river cruise on the Volga from Moscow to St. Petersburg. They brought me back some great Russian vodka. Vodka is my go-to hot weather spirit. I came home from work a little early and have been working through the bottle.

I (will soon) become comfortably numb.

I'm going to switch to beer soon though. Two glasses of anything in an evening (other than great scotch) is my self-imposed limit.

Girly once tried to convince me all vodka is the same. Girly is fucking wrong. It's like saying all beer is the same and we should all just drink Budweiser.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
26-08-2016, 06:30 PM
I was at CostCo today doing the grocery shopping and spotted a 1.75L bottle of Hennessy VS Cognac for $62. A bit big, but that just means it'll take me longer to drink it all. Damned near didn't buy it because of the size, but what the hell.
26-08-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm a big fan of Hennessey. Yuge.

26-08-2016, 08:54 PM
I personally like the Hennessy VS better than Courvoisier VSOP. But that is just personal taste. Again, the Courvoisier XO kicks that ass. I saw a 750 ml bottle of Remy Martin XO next to this Hennessy, for $144. I was tempted, but I don't recall tasting it before, and I can't justify dropping that kind of bubble gum money on it without knowing if I like it for sure. Maybe I'll find a wee dram somewhere and find out.

As much as I don't like tequila, I tried a little nip of the Milagro I bought for my wife for her birthday a couple of years ago, and it really wasn't all that bad. Nothing to write home about, but it is a tequila that didn't make me shudder.
27-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Many people are saying that Hennessy is better than Courvoisier. Many people. It's yuge how many people are saying it.

27-08-2016, 12:01 PM
When, I first saw this thread, I thought it was about ghosts or whatever. Laugh out load Then, I remembered the alcoholic drinks.

☆☆☆