Single Malt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2016, 02:44 PM
RE: Are you interested in spirits?
Yes..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2016, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2016 10:26 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
I don't drink much at all these days, don't let the name fool you, but when I do it's almost always Scotch. And given that it's my distant relations that make it, I drink Dalmore. The KAIII is fantastic, I have a bottle of the 25year at home waiting for some monumental occasion, but I drink the Cigar Malt Reserve and the 18 year the most.

That said I've had a chance to try out the Suntory Hakushu 25 Year Old Japanese and it was fuckin' amazing. The quality of the Japanese whiskeys has skyrocketed since I was there in 2004, highly recommend it to anyone who considers themselves a Whisky fan.

As for the rest, Taquilla makes me a slut, Rum gives me migraines almost instantly, Vodka makes me wanna fight everyone that ever existed, and if you try to give me Bushmills I will literately cut your damn throat in an attempt to get your Heresy to fall out.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
29-08-2016, 06:25 AM
(26-08-2016 01:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  How much do you really know about spirits? Take a quiz.

http://offbeat.topix.com/quiz/16332?tr=m...8,v5vdh5a5

I sucked, got the first five then missed the next six and quit. Sadcryface2

I got 76% - but I've been away from it for nearly 25 years. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2016, 01:53 PM
(23-08-2016 09:49 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Have you tried The Balvenie? Double casked, oak and cherry. Angel

Hi,

Following Gawdzilla's advice I have a bottle of Balvenie 'double wood' which is unopened as yet.

A good review of the dram is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7sUSOEG3XY

D.
02-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Thumbs Up Single Malt
I know there are at least two maltheads here, besides me, so I thought I'd experiment with a thread about single malts, and related topics.

Was introduced to Scotch back in my formative years, and when I later became a beer enthusiast and homebrewer, the progression to single malts came naturally. Already a fan of big malty brews like doppelbocks and Scotch ales, single malt whisky just gave me one more thing to admire about the Scotts.

My personal tastes run to the really funky, peat-smoky Islay malts (Laphroaig is at the top of my short list), but I'm always willing to branch out, and have acquired a pretty fair malt cabinet over the past decade (about 75 varieties, at last count).

Anybody interested in sharing malt stories? Interesting tastings; unique acquisitions; distillery tours? Favorites; not so favorites; windfalls; peeves; etc.?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
02-03-2017, 02:47 PM
RE: Single Malt
(02-03-2017 02:46 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I know there are at least two maltheads here, besides me, so I thought I'd experiment with a thread about single malts, and related topics.

Was introduced to Scotch back in my formative years, and when I later became a beer enthusiast and homebrewer, the progression to single malts came naturally. Already a fan of big malty brews like doppelbocks and Scotch ales, single malt whisky just gave me one more thing to admire about the Scotts.

My personal tastes run to the really funky, peat-smoky Islay malts (Laphroaig is at the top of my short list), but I'm always willing to branch out, and have acquired a pretty fair malt cabinet over the past decade (about 75 varieties, at last count).

Anybody interested in sharing malt stories? Interesting tastings; unique acquisitions; distillery tours? Favorites; not so favorites; windfalls; peeves; etc.?

Think we got one started already. See if I can dig it up. ... here you go.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Hmm... I don't have anything real interesting to add. I like Jameson and Tullamore Dew. They are decent and within my price range. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
02-03-2017, 03:00 PM
(02-03-2017 02:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Think we got one started already. See if I can dig it up. ... here you go.

Thanks. I did dig around a bit before starting the thread, but I didn't go back too far. Didn't want to be caught "necroposting". Smile

--
Dr H

02-03-2017, 03:00 PM
The great thing about moving back to Scotland is that you can find some good deals in the major supermarkets for decent single malts.

Unfortunately for some reason I am more prone to getting headaches from drinking Islay whisky now. I don't know why. Laphraoig was my favourite as well.

I had to reacquire the taste for whisky. When I was a young student someone gave me an entire bottle of Glenfiddich because some cig ash got dropped in it. I filled up four glasses of it and each one went down in a single gulp. After that my body just saw it as poison. Half a decade later when I moved up to Scotland and had fallen in love with Scottish beer I slowly started to develop a taste for whisky.

I gave up whisky when I moved to Germany because it was too expensive to buy there. But I've started drinking it again since coming back.
02-03-2017, 03:07 PM
Complete malthead here. I've got a collection of about 75 single malts; some of Scotland's finest.
I lean heavily towards the peaty Islay malts, but I do try to give everything a fair shake.

The Balvenie double wood, BTW, while not particularly peaty, is very, very good. My bro' turned me on to a bottle for my birthday a couple of years back, and I've been hooked ever since. Anyone had the 17yo version of this? It's not been available around these parts, but I've been wanting to try it.

--
Dr H