Single Malt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 03:27 PM
RE: Are you interested in spirits?
(24-08-2016 11:16 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Tartarus Sauce is gearing up for a scotch and whiskey taste-a-thon. He's not normally a scotch drinker, so I felt it was my responsibility to at least expose him to the elixir of the Gods... if for no other purpose than to be able to participate in threads like these. Smile

He will begin collecting miniature bottles of scotch and whiskey (as directed by me) that are available in various stores in his area.

Mind helping me come up with a decent list? Remember I want good and bad ones on there.

Good:
Glenlivit 18 is a must have

Moderate:
Crown Royal

Bad:
Johnny Walker Red
Jim Beam (Does JB Belong down here?)

Hmmm... I've tried The Glenlivet 12 and liked it. I've been reluctant to cough up the extra cash for the older stuff.

As for Crown Royal -- I have a tendency to look down my nose at blended whiskey in general, but I have been sampling a bottle of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye lately, and that is some tasty stuff. It's about as good as the bourbons on my shelf (Russell's Reserve 10-year-old (by the makers of Wild Turkey), Maker's 46, and Knob Creek). I have not tried Jim Beam.

I think Johnnie Walker Red is OK for a blend. Black is supposed to be better, but I have a hard time telling them apart. Neither blows me away, but they're OK. I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that mixed drinks are not for me, so from now on, I will only buy whiskies that are good enough to drink neat. Probably neither of the Johnnie Walkers will make the cut.

I am not fond of any other hard liquor. My drinking is limited to beer and whisk(e)y, and the occasional glass of wine.

Of the dozen or so bottles I have open at present, my clear favorite is Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I fell in love with that as soon as I opened the bottle and smelled it. Peaty Scotch is a polarizing thing -- you either love it or hate it, I guess. I love it. Can't get enough. I'm anxious to try other brands, but I have promised myself to finish the bottles I already have open before I open any more.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
02-03-2017, 03:31 PM
(23-08-2016 09:12 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  The Glenlivet came with some ‘whisky stones’ which are actual stones that you freeze and put in the whisky like ice cubes. That way it avoids diluting the dram.

I don't know about whisky stones, but I have been lusting after some Death Star ice molds lately.

[Image: f0b6_death_star_ice_tray.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
02-03-2017, 03:36 PM
(26-08-2016 01:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  How much do you really know about spirits? Take a quiz.

http://offbeat.topix.com/quiz/16332?tr=m...8,v5vdh5a5

I sucked, got the first five then missed the next six and quit. Sadcryface2

OK, that was a pretty silly quiz. More than half the questions are about mixed drinks, which interest me not at all. And if someone was advising women to wash their hair in some kind of booze, that seems more like a bit of health and beauty trivia, than anything to do with a serious interest in spirits.

Two of the answers given are incorrect: Winston Churchill did not invent the Manhattan; Lain Marshall did (but I knew they wanted "Churchill), and the strongest ethyl alcohol available for sale is, in fact, 200 proof anhydrous ethanol -- but you'd have to buy it from a chemical supply house; in a liquor store the best you can do is 190 proof.

And why would anyone other than a vintner need to know the precise pressure in a Champagne bottle?

Still got 95%. Who knew that people washed their hair with rum?
Not with my rum, you don't! Angry

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
02-03-2017, 03:44 PM
(02-03-2017 03:27 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Of the dozen or so bottles I have open at present, my clear favorite is Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

Oh yes, very nice stuff. I'm not sure I share the current fascination for bottling whisky at, or close to cask strength, though. 80-90 proof is ideal; too much alcohol can get in the way of the flavor.

The Quarter Cask is right on the edge, at 96 proof. I normally don't like to add water to Scotch, but a few drops in this one really works.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
02-03-2017, 03:45 PM
(02-03-2017 03:07 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Complete malthead here. I've got a collection of about 75 single malts; some of Scotland's finest.
I lean heavily towards the peaty Islay malts, but I do try to give everything a fair shake.

The Balvenie double wood, BTW, while not particularly peaty, is very, very good. My bro' turned me on to a bottle for my birthday a couple of years back, and I've been hooked ever since. Anyone had the 17yo version of this? It's not been available around these parts, but I've been wanting to try it.

That's a lot of Scotch. I like the peaty ones too.

[Image: talisker_singlemalt_50north_zpscoxtw8rc.jpg]

#sigh
02-03-2017, 03:55 PM
(02-03-2017 03:07 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Complete malthead here. I've got a collection of about 75 single malts; some of Scotland's finest.
I lean heavily towards the peaty Islay malts, but I do try to give everything a fair shake.

The Balvenie double wood, BTW, while not particularly peaty, is very, very good. My bro' turned me on to a bottle for my birthday a couple of years back, and I've been hooked ever since. Anyone had the 17yo version of this? It's not been available around these parts, but I've been wanting to try it.

I just started getting interested in whisk(e)y a few months ago, and I'm still in the sampling stage. So far I have tried a variety of bourbons and blended Scotch, and a few single malts (The Glenlivet 12-year-old, Glenfiddich 12-year-old, and Laphroaig Quarter Cask). I haven't found a bad one yet, but my preliminary conclusions are:

1. I really like the taste of bourbon, but all the ones I've tried so far are pretty similar, without the variety and complexity of the single malt Scotches, which I'm finding to be more interesting.

2. As mentioned in my previous post, most of the blended Scotch I've tried is good for mixing, but doesn't blow me away by itself -- and mixed drinks aren't blowing me away either -- so when I finish the blends I currently have, I intend to focus on single malts.

3. Of the 3 single malts I've tried, the Laphroaig is by far my favorite. I have acquired numerous bottles of other Islay whiskies (I have at least one from every distillery on the island), and a few other peaty single malts (Highland Park, Talisker, and the Irish Connemara). I also have a few non-peaty ones (including a bottle of Macallan -- but the 12-year-old, not the insanely expensive 18-year-old), but the peaty style is my favorite.

4. The only Irish whiskey I've tried is Jameson Original. It's a perfectly good whiskey, but not especially exciting. I have built up a small collection of higher-end Irish whiskeys (including Redbreast 12-year-old, Green Spot, and Powers John's Lane 12-year-old), waiting to be sampled.

5. As mentioned in the last post, I have resolved not to open any more bottles until I've finished the ones I already have open. That's about a dozen, in various stages of full/empty, so it will be a few months. But I'm already licking my lips in anticipation!
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
02-03-2017, 03:58 PM
RE: Single Malt
(02-03-2017 03:00 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 02:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Think we got one started already. See if I can dig it up. ... here you go.

Thanks. I did dig around a bit before starting the thread, but I didn't go back too far. Didn't want to be caught "necroposting". Smile

We don't mind necroposting if it's building on a specific topic...the more comprehensive the info in threads, the better. Just my opinion, and google thinks so, too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-03-2017, 04:02 PM
(02-03-2017 03:44 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 03:27 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Of the dozen or so bottles I have open at present, my clear favorite is Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

Oh yes, very nice stuff. I'm not sure I share the current fascination for bottling whisky at, or close to cask strength, though. 80-90 proof is ideal; too much alcohol can get in the way of the flavor.

The Quarter Cask is right on the edge, at 96 proof. I normally don't like to add water to Scotch, but a few drops in this one really works.

It's pretty smooth at 96 proof, though! I have some "weaker" stuff that gives me more of an alcohol burn than the Laphroaig does.
02-03-2017, 04:37 PM
RE: Single Malt
(02-03-2017 02:48 PM)Emma Wrote:  Hmm... I don't have anything real interesting to add. I like Jameson and Tullamore Dew. They are decent and within my price range. Laugh out load

Jameson's is Irish. It's nice but it's not Scotch.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
02-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Diluting the whisky with ice is heresy. Part of what makes each whisky distinctive is the water where it was created. Scottish water tastes lovely. Personally I always have a whisky glass in the freezer, and when I want something I take it out, pour a wee dram and wait a few minutes for the liquid too cool before drinking.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post