Single Malt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 04:48 PM
RE: Single Malt
(02-03-2017 04:37 PM)Silly Deity Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 02:48 PM)Emma Wrote:  Hmm... I don't have anything real interesting to add. I like Jameson and Tullamore Dew. They are decent and within my price range. Laugh out load

Jameson's is Irish. It's nice but it's not Scotch.

Tullamore D.E.W. does make a 10-year-old single malt, though. It's not Scotch, but it is single malt.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2017, 04:51 PM
(02-03-2017 03:00 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  The great thing about moving back to Scotland is that you can find some good deals in the major supermarkets for decent single malts.

Unfortunately for some reason I am more prone to getting headaches from drinking Islay whisky now. I don't know why. Laphraoig was my favourite as well.

Its the phenols. The island malts from Islay and Skye (and from Campbeltown) get that seaweedy flavour and are rich in those headache inducing phenols.

Try some lighter varieties from Speyside or if you want to try an island malt that's not so heavy or seaweedy try Highland Park from Orkney .

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
02-03-2017, 04:55 PM
RE: Are you interested in spirits?
(02-03-2017 04:41 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Diluting the whisky with ice is heresy. Part of what makes each whisky distinctive is the water where it was created. Scottish water tastes lovely. Personally I always have a whisky glass in the freezer, and when I want something I take it out, pour a wee dram and wait a few minutes for the liquid too cool before drinking.

I remember someone (can't remember who, though) reviewing a good Scotch and concluding with "Don't pour it over ice if there's a Scot nearby."

Laugh out load

Personally, I only use ice in mixed drinks, and I'm weaning myself from mixed drinks. When I drink neat whisky, ice is verboten. I may add a splash of water if it's exceptionally strong (I have a few "cask strength" bottles that are well over 100 proof -- that's going to need some water), or just to bring out flavors that are otherwise hidden. But ice? Never.
02-03-2017, 04:56 PM
I'm partial to Glenfiddich and Macallan's. I prefer the single malts to the blends. I can't handle the taste of an Islay scotch. I've tried Laphraoig and Bowmore. Not for me!
02-03-2017, 05:00 PM
I merged the Whiskey threads. Carry on. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
02-03-2017, 05:03 PM
(02-03-2017 05:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  I merged the Whiskey threads. Carry on. Smile

Yuch! Blended threads!
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
02-03-2017, 05:19 PM
(02-03-2017 05:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  

Yuch! Blended threads!

I've always wanted to mix rum, vodka, and whiskey, together to see if what comes out the shaker tastes okay. Tongue Never have, though. That I can remember Confused

02-03-2017, 05:40 PM
<whew!> That's a relief. I thought I accidentally posted in the wrong thread. No

I was kind of going for a single malt thread, and not a general "spirits" thread...

...but I'm new here; so I'll go with the flow.

Or follow the bartender, as the case may be. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
02-03-2017, 05:45 PM
(02-03-2017 03:27 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have a tendency to look down my nose at blended whiskey in general

I drank blends for years before discovering single malts. For a long time the only single malt available here was Linkwood, but tasting that kind of spoiled me.

Ironically, now I can get at least 50 different single malts in pretty much any liquor store -- except for Linkwood, which disappeared from the shelves years ago, and hasn't been seen in these parts since.

--
Dr H

02-03-2017, 05:54 PM
(02-03-2017 03:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's a lot of Scotch.

Yeah, I went a little nuts for a while there.
Good thing I don't drink it at the rate I used to in college, or there's no way I could afford to keep a collection that large.

Talsiker is another one that disappeared around here for a couple of years, but now it seems to be back.

The problem is that in this state all the liquor stores are essentially state-owned franchises, so the state determines most of what does and doesn't get purchased and distributed. When I lived in NYS every liquor store was privately owned, and aside from core stock, everyone had some different stuff. Here they all have the same stock, just more or less of it, depending on location.

--
Dr H