Single biggest objection.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2014, 01:40 AM
RE: Single biggest objection.
(21-05-2014 01:32 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 12:11 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Not sure WTF is going on there. It's not like we haven't been using memegenerator forever or anything.... Rolleyes

You see, it's generally safe to have fun with a meme now and then. But when you go crazy and have lots of ongoing relationships with multiple... er, POPULAR memes at the same time, you've got a huge risk of catching some sort of bug.

....Can't....stop.....laughing..........Not.....gettin.....air.......

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
21-05-2014, 02:22 AM
(20-05-2014 05:06 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  In this thread I invite anyone who has an objection to the Bible to tell me what their single biggest objection is and if one particular objection is found to be more prevalent than others, I will attempt to address it.
This is the promise.

But this....
(20-05-2014 05:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  From the answers, the most prevalent objection is that the Bible is a work of fiction.

For those that objected on this basis I now ask: what reason(s), and or evidence do you have to support this truth claim?
...is a broken promise.

If you were true to your word, Jeremy, you would be addressing the objection that the bible myth-stories are fiction rather than now demanding the objectioners to prove a negative.

Where in the bible does Jesus go down the track of dishonest discourse? Does he demand people prove negatives or does he ask people to have faith and believe?
Don't you think that if Jesus took your approach then Jesus would not have had a following. He would have instead been a sad and lonely man.

Be Christ-like my friend. Find a way that endears people rather than repulses them.
[+] 8 users Like Stevil's post
21-05-2014, 02:56 AM
(20-05-2014 05:06 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  As some of you may be aware, I am a Christian. I and many other Christians point to the Holy Bible as one of the primary sources of knowledge regarding the God we worship.

I am aware that there may be individuals here who have objections to the contents of the Bible. For instance, some one here may object to the Bible's claim to be the word of God.

Some may object to the Bible's views on homosexuality.

These are just two examples.

In this thread I invite anyone who has an objection to the Bible to tell me what their single biggest objection is and if one particular objection is found to be more prevalent than others, I will attempt to address it.

Please state the objection and why it is your single biggest objection.

It creates people like you. Men who celebrate their own ignorance and call it wisdom. People who revel in their cowardice and call it bravery, who bask unashamedly in their own judgment of others and call it Honour and Justice.

I object to the Bible because it seeks to codify in men the tyrannical ideal that true freedom comes with a chain around your neck. I object to it because it says that it is better for our race to live in ignorant obedience to a tyrant, then to defy that tyrant and come to knowledge our selves and to label those that help us "serpents" and "evil". I object to it because it says that the elements of your birth, of which one has no control at all, defines your worth in this world (penis > vagina) or how much of an "vile abomination" you are (heterosexual > homosexual) far more then content of your character and the nobility of your actions.
I object to it for more reasons then I actually know. Hundreds maybe thousands. Many more I could list here if it served me so.

But more importantly I abhor that book, abhor all works of superstition, because of the billions and billions of lives lost to this sea of raging ignorance and priestly oppression. When I think of all the people in all the centuries who lost their lives, their freedoms, and who lived and died wasting their only opportunity in a world they never got to even see clearly I weep. I weep and I mourn for every priest who could have been a father or a doctor and was not. I weep for every nun who could have been a mother or a scientist and was not. I weep for every Michelangelo, Davinci, Picasso, Marie Curie, Beethoven, Jefferson, Hypatia or Hitchcock we lost to an abbey or a nunnerie.
I mourn for all the lives that could have been that were drown in that sea of ignorance and filth. What a better world we could have today if we had had 2000 years worth of the last 100.

I object to your book not because it is fiction, of which without a doubt much of it is, but because it is harmful fiction. It has produced centuries of men just like you. Better people that could have been: wasted away in their own ignorance.

And I mourn.
[+] 9 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
21-05-2014, 03:21 AM
(21-05-2014 02:56 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  It creates people like you.

[snip]

And I mourn.

Dat was like poet tree <sniff>
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
21-05-2014, 03:35 AM
(21-05-2014 03:21 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 02:56 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  It creates people like you.

[snip]

And I mourn.

Dat was like poet tree <sniff>

[Image: 2012-05-25-PoetTree.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-05-2014, 03:40 AM
(21-05-2014 02:56 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 05:06 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  As some of you may be aware, I am a Christian. I and many other Christians point to the Holy Bible as one of the primary sources of knowledge regarding the God we worship.

I am aware that there may be individuals here who have objections to the contents of the Bible. For instance, some one here may object to the Bible's claim to be the word of God.

Some may object to the Bible's views on homosexuality.

These are just two examples.

In this thread I invite anyone who has an objection to the Bible to tell me what their single biggest objection is and if one particular objection is found to be more prevalent than others, I will attempt to address it.

Please state the objection and why it is your single biggest objection.

It creates people like you. Men who celebrate their own ignorance and call it wisdom. People who revel in their cowardice and call it bravery, who bask unashamedly in their own judgment of others and call it Honour and Justice.

I object to the Bible because it seeks to codify in men the tyrannical ideal that true freedom comes with a chain around your neck. I object to it because it says that it is better for our race to live in ignorant obedience to a tyrant, then to defy that tyrant and come to knowledge our selves and to label those that help us "serpents" and "evil". I object to it because it says that the elements of your birth, of which one has no control at all, defines your worth in this world (penis > vagina) or how much of an "vile abomination" you are (heterosexual > homosexual) far more then content of your character and the nobility of your actions.
I object to it for more reasons then I actually know. Hundreds maybe thousands. Many more I could list here if it served me so.

But more importantly I abhor that book, abhor all works of superstition, because of the billions and billions of lives lost to this sea of raging ignorance and priestly oppression. When I think of all the people in all the centuries who lost their lives, their freedoms, and who lived and died wasting their only opportunity in a world they never got to even see clearly I weep. I weep and I mourn for every priest who could have been a father or a doctor and was not. I weep for every nun who could have been a mother or a scientist and was not. I weep for every Michelangelo, Davinci, Picasso, Marie Curie, Beethoven, Jefferson, Hypatia or Hitchcock we lost to an abbey or a nunnerie.
I mourn for all the lives that could have been that were drown in that sea of ignorance and filth. What a better world we could have today if we had had 2000 years worth of the last 100.

I object to your book not because it is fiction, of which without a doubt much of it is, but because it is harmful fiction. It has produced centuries of men just like you. Better people that could have been: wasted away in their own ignorance.

And I mourn.

This is something I might want to discuss in the boxing ring one day.

I can't do it here of course but your response was thoughtful and I thank you for it.
21-05-2014, 03:46 AM
(21-05-2014 02:22 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 05:06 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  In this thread I invite anyone who has an objection to the Bible to tell me what their single biggest objection is and if one particular objection is found to be more prevalent than others, I will attempt to address it.
This is the promise.

But this....
(20-05-2014 05:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  From the answers, the most prevalent objection is that the Bible is a work of fiction.

For those that objected on this basis I now ask: what reason(s), and or evidence do you have to support this truth claim?
...is a broken promise.

If you were true to your word, Jeremy, you would be addressing the objection that the bible myth-stories are fiction rather than now demanding the objectioners to prove a negative.

Where in the bible does Jesus go down the track of dishonest discourse? Does he demand people prove negatives or does he ask people to have faith and believe?
Don't you think that if Jesus took your approach then Jesus would not have had a following. He would have instead been a sad and lonely man.

Be Christ-like my friend. Find a way that endears people rather than repulses them.

I am true to my word and addressed the claims by asking for evidence for their claim.

I do not make it a habit of devoting my time to addressing unfounded quips and opinions or youtube videos that would necessitate me watching hours of something that could easily be summarized by the person who posted them.

I do have a life outside of this forum as hopefully you do as well.
21-05-2014, 04:21 AM
(20-05-2014 06:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 06:41 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  Oh, I see. So you asked for evidence, then when the evidence is provided, you say you don't feel like examining it.

Ok George: How would you respond to the videos with videos if you refuse to watch the videos?

How would you know what to respond to?

lol im not watching four hours of youtube videos. the fact that no one can summarize what they contain makes me believe none of you guys have even watched em! rofl

You're a lazy little weazel, which is one reason you're so ignorant.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Mark Fulton's post
21-05-2014, 04:55 AM
(21-05-2014 04:21 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 06:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  lol im not watching four hours of youtube videos. the fact that no one can summarize what they contain makes me believe none of you guys have even watched em! rofl

You're a lazy little weazel, which is one reason you're so ignorant.

I'm no more lazy for not watching four hours of supposed bible debunking than you would be for not watching four hours of bible defending.

Nice try though. Too bad it is another ad hominem.
21-05-2014, 05:05 AM
(21-05-2014 04:55 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 04:21 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You're a lazy little weazel, which is one reason you're so ignorant.

I'm no more lazy for not watching four hours of supposed bible debunking than you would be for not watching four hours of bible defending.

Nice try though. Too bad it is another ad hominem.

Single biggest objection: Proof
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post