Single biggest objection.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2014, 08:48 AM
RE: Single biggest objection.
My single biggest objection to the bible is the sort of people that come with it.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
21-05-2014, 08:52 AM
(21-05-2014 07:05 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 06:53 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Have you researched your own unbelief in the countless thousands of other gods that have existed in human culture throughout history?

Yes.

Did you provide proof they didn't exist?
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
21-05-2014, 09:08 AM
(21-05-2014 03:46 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 02:22 AM)Stevil Wrote:  This is the promise.

But this....
...is a broken promise.

If you were true to your word, Jeremy, you would be addressing the objection that the bible myth-stories are fiction rather than now demanding the objectioners to prove a negative.

Where in the bible does Jesus go down the track of dishonest discourse? Does he demand people prove negatives or does he ask people to have faith and believe?
Don't you think that if Jesus took your approach then Jesus would not have had a following. He would have instead been a sad and lonely man.

Be Christ-like my friend. Find a way that endears people rather than repulses them.

I am true to my word and addressed the claims by asking for evidence for their claim.

I do not make it a habit of devoting my time to addressing unfounded quips and opinions or youtube videos that would necessitate me watching hours of something that could easily be summarized by the person who posted them.

I do have a life outside of this forum as hopefully you do as well.

You didn't examine a single piece of the evidence you asked for.

And we know you have a life outside the forum, it's posing for photos like this one.

[Image: unu9u4a4.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
21-05-2014, 09:08 AM
(20-05-2014 05:06 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  As some of you may be aware, I am a Christian. I and many other Christians point to the Holy Bible as one of the primary sources of knowledge regarding the God we worship.

I am aware that there may be individuals here who have objections to the contents of the Bible. For instance, some one here may object to the Bible's claim to be the word of God.

Some may object to the Bible's views on homosexuality.

These are just two examples.

In this thread I invite anyone who has an objection to the Bible to tell me what their single biggest objection is and if one particular objection is found to be more prevalent than others, I will attempt to address it.

Please state the objection and why it is your single biggest objection.
My first reaction upon reading the OP was why are we being limited to just one objection? There are many - it's fiction, it's all about a horrible being who is supposed to be "god", people base real-life actions and decisions on this nonsense, etc. Then I thought, well ok, maybe limiting to one at a time makes it easier to discuss. So I read 16 pages of this thread to see what had already been covered and found that Jeremy hasn't addressed anything.

My next thought: "Why am I not surprised..." Rolleyes

(21-05-2014 03:46 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I am true to my word and addressed the claims by asking for evidence for their claim.
No Jeremy, you haven't. The most common objection is "it's fiction". For you to address it means you would argue your position that it isn't fiction and provide convincing reasons or evidence to show why it isn't fiction. YOU asking US for evidence is a DETOUR; nothing more. A cowardly side-stepping of your self-stated purpose for this thread.

And it's because you have nothing. Just admit it; or prove me wrong and ADDRESS that point for real. Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
21-05-2014, 09:18 AM
(20-05-2014 05:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  From the answers, the most prevalent objection is that the Bible is a work of fiction.

For those that objected on this basis I now ask: what reason(s), and or evidence do you have to support this truth claim?

My complaint wouldn't so much be that it's fiction, but more so that it really looks like fiction, and there isn't a compelling reason to assume otherwise.

When you read the Bible, it comes off as a book written by a bunch of different people who tried to tie their works into the narrative. It comes off as written by people who lived in their time. Now, that much is obviously true. The thing is: God revealed himself repeatedly to various prophets to give decrees or revelations, and all that stuff wreaks of mythology and the currently existing culture.

God never shows up and teaches people how to harness electricity thousands of years before other cultures figure it out for themselves. He never tells them about the germ theory of disease. It's all geocentrism and rabbits that chew their cud. He never predicted anything in any way that would be useful or that would make another culture look and say "Wow! That god is the really real deal. I should get on board with that!"

There is no compelling reason to consider the Bible to not be a book of Hebrew mythology, and no reason to take it any more seriously than any of the other mythology we've been exposed to.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
21-05-2014, 09:20 AM
(21-05-2014 08:35 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 08:02 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  1. You don't care? You still haven't answered the challenge. Prove it (nice christian attitude by the way).
2. You are not here to convince me of anything? Then why are you here at all? go away

I stated why I was here. I am doing research.

Research? Really? To do honest research you have to take off your rose colored glasses and put them aside. Those glasses, the ones that make god fuzzy and warm and sacrificial and significant, also make reality very cloudy and out of focus. From my experience religious people don't want to take them off and are totally convinced that they see perfectly fine with them but have no idea how incredibly out of focus and fuzzy thing really are.

If you don't want to spend one hour of your life watching a video that might crack your glasses then the fault is not with us but with you.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-05-2014, 09:22 AM
(21-05-2014 07:23 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 07:10 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  I still don't believe you.
Show me, ON POINT, belief over truth.

I don't care if you believe me honestly. I am not here to convince you of anything.
And you're obviously not here to learn or you would watch the videos and read the linked web pages.

Why are you here again? Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
21-05-2014, 09:22 AM
(21-05-2014 08:46 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 08:35 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I stated why I was here. I am doing research.

Research? For what EXACTLY?
I mean EXACTLY!
Do not steer away, EXACTLY what you mean.

Ah, the "research" troll.

[Image: 7upu8eda.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
21-05-2014, 09:26 AM
(21-05-2014 09:22 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 08:46 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  Research? For what EXACTLY?
I mean EXACTLY!
Do not steer away, EXACTLY what you mean.

Ah, the "research" troll.

[Image: 7upu8eda.jpg]
Don't ever use box and whisker plots, kids.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
21-05-2014, 09:29 AM
I'd be pretty cool if I stopped having erotic dreams about my sister. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user