Single biggest objection.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2014, 05:48 PM
RE: Single biggest objection.
(20-05-2014 05:47 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 05:27 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  So far I have two for fiction, one red herring, and maybe another for its fiction.

I notice a trend.

We reject the bible for the same reason you reject the Koran.Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
20-05-2014, 05:53 PM
(20-05-2014 05:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  From the answers, the most prevalent objection is that the Bible is a work of fiction.

For those that objected on this basis I now ask: what reason(s), and or evidence do you have to support this truth claim?

Another fucking shell game. You're disappointing Jeremy. ... You already know this but for the record. We are not making a truth claim. We refute the truth claim made by the religious that the Bible is the word of God.

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 9 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
20-05-2014, 06:01 PM
The question itself belies a complete and utter ignorance of intelligent thoughtful people, hundreds of years of Biblical scholarship, total ignorance of the literature of the ancient Near East, total ignorance of Comparative Religions, Comparative Mythology, Jewish History, World History, Archaeology, Form Criticism, Literary Criticism, etc etc etc. The question *itself* reflects a completely childish ignorant view of the texts of the Bible. The question is actually devoid of meaning. "Object" to what ? That it's *literally* true ? That question is not even on the table any longer for serious scholars. So define your question in intelligent language for intelligent thoughtful adults, or get the fuck off our lawn with your ignorant infantile nonsense. Drinking Beverage

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 17 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-05-2014, 06:02 PM
As per usual, it's not exactly clear what you mean by your question "what is your biggest objection to the Bible?". Objecting breaks down to two somewhat unrelated concepts:

1) disagreeing with
2) opposing

My 2 biggest reasons for disagreeing with the Bible are its counterfactual claims (which render it fiction) and its immoral teachings (which render it repulsive and reprehensible).

As for opposing, I don't oppose any book per se. What I do oppose, however, is absurd usage of the content, and in the case of the Bible, this happens mainly by accepting the aforementioned counterfactual claims as true, and its immoral (and even moral) teachings as authoritative.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
20-05-2014, 06:09 PM
My single biggest objection is that the god described in the Bible is
"...arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Thanks to Dr. Dawkins for those words. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
20-05-2014, 06:12 PM
(20-05-2014 06:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  My single biggest objection is that the god described in the Bible is
"...arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Thanks to Dr. Dawkins for those words. Smile

You could have just typed "cunt" instead of the definition of it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 4 users Like sporehux's post
20-05-2014, 06:13 PM
(20-05-2014 05:53 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  We are not making a truth claim. We refute the truth claim made by the religious that the Bible is the word of God.

I count five people who claim the Bible is a work of fiction.

This is a truth claim. It is a truth bearing statement and by virtue of this, the statement is either true or false.

The five of you need to put your heads together and come up with some evidence or proof to support this claim.

And bro don't get mad at me because you put your foot in your mouth and said more than what you can back up.

Prove to me that the Bible is fiction i.e. imaginary, made up etc etc.

And do not try to shift the burden to me. That does not count as support or proof for your claim.
20-05-2014, 06:15 PM
(20-05-2014 06:13 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 05:53 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  We are not making a truth claim. We refute the truth claim made by the religious that the Bible is the word of God.

I count five people who claim the Bible is a work of fiction.

This is a truth claim. It is a truth bearing statement and by virtue of this, the statement is either true or false.

The five of you need to put your heads together and come up with some evidence or proof to support this claim.

And bro don't get mad at me because you put your foot in your mouth and said more than what you can back up.

Prove to me that the Bible is fiction i.e. imaginary, made up etc etc.

And do not try to shift the burden to me. That does not count as support or proof for your claim.

[Image: circular_reasoning.png]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 8 users Like sporehux's post
20-05-2014, 06:16 PM
You made slaves out of people, like the africans and europeans you dragged from their homes in order to have slaves and then used the bible as justification.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
20-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Single biggest objection.
(20-05-2014 05:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  From the answers, the most prevalent objection is that the Bible is a work of fiction.

For those that objected on this basis I now ask: what reason(s), and or evidence do you have to support this truth claim?

You were given a concise summary with linked support in the other thread you haven't bothered to even glance through.

You can't be bothered to watch a single video posted in this very thread.

Why would anyone waste time reposting it here for you, when you won't read it anyway?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 5 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post