Sinner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2012, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 01:18 PM by kingschosen.)
RE: Sinner
lol thanks kineo.

Also, AnotherSinner, if you are planning on sticking around (which I hope), then maybe we can discuss some theology.

I might even talk Lucradis into setting up a theology sub-forum for those that wish to discuss it (we can also hope that our theist community grows a bit).

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2012, 01:32 PM
(29-03-2012 12:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-03-2012 12:32 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Here is where things are going to get interesting. *Covers ears and

closes eyes as prepares for inevitable rain of bullets*
1. I am not too well studied so I am not familiar with Augustine or with

Palagius. Though it is my itent to learn of them.

2. Eschatologically? Well, this is going to sound sad....maybe even pathetic, but that is not a term I am familiar with. Enlighten me?

3. Creation....now that is something I am wanting to well...explore more extensively. I do not believe in Evolution. So I am not an Evolutionary Creationist. Then I am horrible with labels so, guess the best way to answer is

to tell you what I do believe.

I believe God made the earth and in His time. This...from what I have come to understand, though there may be room for error here, that a day to God can be like thousands of years to man. Otherwise, I still have a long way to go.
So yes, you are dealing with a literal Bible Dunce or Baby. Have been taught a number of things, but am truly wanting to find the truth for myself in terms of lots of things that are commonly debated.
Wow....okay....that said....
*Runs for cover*

Aww you're so cute Blush I think I'm in love. Just relax, take a deep breath and SURRENDER YOUR SOUL TO SATAN Evil_monster Noooooooooooooo! Loves us she does Gollum. Wants to save ussss. Mustn't givessss her to the dark Lord.

Sacrifice KC instead. Nassssty theist that he is. Tricked uss he did. Yeeeessss.
Please tell me you are an LOTR fan? If so...can I join the club? Yes
[+] 1 user Likes AnotherSinner's post
29-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I suppose that there are some things which you simply cannot fully know and understand before accepting them.

But, I now believe that religion is not one of those things. It should be something you have full knowledge of before going in. There are a huge number of religions, and many branches of even the smallest of sects. Some things, I suppose, you need to learn and explore once you have your faith. But others require logical and critical thought.

I'm not just talking about doctrine, but I am concerned that the efforts to convert someone do not cover the full expectations that will be placed on the one who is "saved". The appeal to conversion often only includes enough information about the religion to express how dire a position the unconverted is in. It is often directed toward the vulnerable- especially the emotionally vulnerable, but also the physically and mentally vulnerable. People who are not in a state to fully think through what a conversion will mean- but knowing that they need something, some kind of help. And here is a hand offering them some kind of help.

It's not until later that you begin to learn what religion you've converted to- the requirements, the culture, the doctrine, the eschatology, the norms, etc. You don't know at first that you're expected to be modest- or even what their definition of modest is. You don't know what you even believe yet about the holy book to which you've just committed. You're weak in your faith, ready and willing to follow and learn. But if you find that you disagree fundamentally, well you've already committed.

I would highly recommend that before really moving forward in faith and dedicating your life to it- study the history behind it before you study the holy book. Study the origins of the church, the origins of the Bible, the origins of your local church and try to understand their doctrine. Know who you represent and the message they expect you to carry.

This is not unreasonable, and it is most certainly your responsibility as a person of faith. It will take time, but do not be a blind follower.

Moreover, I would highly recommend that you learn about that which you reject (if you have not already) from an objective source- most especially those scientific theories which you reject, like evolution Wink.

The information is at your fingertips! We'd be glad to help fill the gaps for ya. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
29-03-2012, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 01:39 PM by AnotherSinner.)
(29-03-2012 12:44 PM)kineo Wrote:  
Quote:Definition of ESCHATOLOGY
1: a branch of theology concerned with the final events in the history of the world or of humankind

2: a belief concerning death, the end of the world, or the ultimate destiny of humankind; specifically : any of various Christian doctrines concerning the Second Coming, the resurrection of the dead, or the Last Judgment
Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eschatology

Oh boy....okay. *Hides behind a wall and peeks out*
Well...I believe that there will be judgement, of sin...as well as ministry. It will be the heart likely put on trial as well as the spirit. I do believe Jesus will come again. When? I do not know.
How the world will end....and much beyond that, I am still researching. Revelations is hard for me to understand. I also tend to like to read KJV. So....discerning it takes a while sometimes for me.
Thanks for the definition. Thumbsup

(29-03-2012 01:35 PM)kineo Wrote:  I suppose that there are some things which you simply cannot fully know and understand before accepting them.

But, I now believe that religion is not one of those things. It should be something you have full knowledge of before going in. There are a huge number of religions, and many branches of even the smallest of sects. Some things, I suppose, you need to learn and explore once you have your faith. But others require logical and critical thought.

I'm not just talking about doctrine, but I am concerned that the efforts to convert someone do not cover the full expectations that will be placed on the one who is "saved". The appeal to conversion often only includes enough information about the religion to express how dire a position the unconverted is in. It is often directed toward the vulnerable- especially the emotionally vulnerable, but also the physically and mentally vulnerable. People who are not in a state to fully think through what a conversion will mean- but knowing that they need something, some kind of help. And here is a hand offering them some kind of help.

It's not until later that you begin to learn what religion you've converted to- the requirements, the culture, the doctrine, the eschatology, the norms, etc. You don't know at first that you're expected to be modest- or even what their definition of modest is. You don't know what you even believe yet about the holy book to which you've just committed. You're weak in your faith, ready and willing to follow and learn. But if you find that you disagree fundamentally, well you've already committed.

I would highly recommend that before really moving forward in faith and dedicating your life to it- study the history behind it before you study the holy book. Study the origins of the church, the origins of the Bible, the origins of your local church and try to understand their doctrine. Know who you represent and the message they expect you to carry.

This is not unreasonable, and it is most certainly your responsibility as a person of faith. It will take time, but do not be a blind follower.

Moreover, I would highly recommend that you learn about that which you reject (if you have not already) from an objective source- most especially those scientific theories which you reject, like evolution Wink.

The information is at your fingertips! We'd be glad to help fill the gaps for ya. Smile

Working on Church History slowly presently. Smile So taking that first step.
29-03-2012, 01:40 PM
(29-03-2012 01:35 PM)kineo Wrote:  I suppose that there are some things which you simply cannot fully know and understand before accepting them.

Moreover, I would highly recommend that you learn about that which you reject (if you have not already) from an objective source- most especially those theories which you reject.
Kineo hit the nail on the head.

I'm going to tread lightly here because I don't want to offended you, AnotherSinner, but I find it pretty sad that the majority of Christians (yourself included) have not taken the time to understand, contemplate, research, and conclude important aspects of Christianity.

Current Christians are "Christian" because... well... just because. It's a result of numerous frivolous reasons, but very few actually take the time to learn about theologies and histories of their belief.

I encourage you to do this. It's an eye-opening experience.

29-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Just as a quick tip, when you quote someone, please type your respond under the box outline of the quote itself. Otherwise your response gets lost in the quoted text. Smile
29-03-2012, 01:45 PM
(29-03-2012 01:37 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  I also tend to like to read KJV. So....discerning it takes a while sometimes for me.
Thanks for the definition. Thumbsup

Try the New American Standard Bible (NASB). It is the most accurate modern translation from the Greek and Hebrew. It is also a lot easier to read.

29-03-2012, 01:47 PM
(29-03-2012 01:40 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Moreover, I would highly recommend that you learn about that which you reject (if you have not already) from an objective source- most especially those theories which you reject.
Kineo hit the nail on the head.

I'm going to tread lightly here because I don't want to offended you, AnotherSinner, but I find it pretty sad that the majority of Christians (yourself included) have not taken the time to understand, contemplate, research, and conclude important aspects of Christianity.

Current Christians are "Christian" because... well... just because. It's a result of numerous frivolous reasons, but very few actually take the time to learn about theologies and histories of their belief.

I encourage you to do this. It's an eye-opening experience.
You are not offending me at all. My belief is not just because. However, it could be better supported. That I do agree with. I have learned a little, a lot of it though...unfortunately is because I did not know how little I knew. You grow up being taught only so much then you realize with a strike of lightening...*BAM* There is a lot more out there.
Have learned a little about traditions...such as the significance of the kiss Judas gave Jesus...or the simple practice of handing another one's shoe in those days. It is astounding! Been trying to learn about who people were...Pharisees, Sadducees...etc.
Got a long way to go, and boy do I know it.
[+] 2 users Like AnotherSinner's post
29-03-2012, 01:52 PM
(29-03-2012 01:47 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  You are not offending me at all. My belief is not just because. However, it could be better supported. That I do agree with. I have learned a little, a lot of it though...unfortunately is because I did not know how little I knew. You grow up being taught only so much then you realize with a strike of lightening...*BAM* There is a lot more out there.
Have learned a little about traditions...such as the significance of the kiss Judas gave Jesus...or the simple practice of handing another one's shoe in those days. It is astounding! Been trying to learn about who people were...Pharisees, Sadducees...etc.
Got a long way to go, and boy do I know it.

See, this is what I can respect.

Bravo to you.

I'm constantly reading and researching... you can never have enough knowledge Smile

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
29-03-2012, 01:53 PM
(29-03-2012 01:32 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Please tell me you are an LOTR fan? If so...can I join the club? Yes
LOTR is like my Bible, only cooler Cool