Sinner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2012, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2012 09:37 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Sinner
(29-03-2012 12:53 PM)kineo Wrote:  Augustine

Particularly:

Quote:After his conversion to Christianity and baptism in AD 387, Augustine developed his own approach to philosophy and theology, accommodating a variety of methods and different perspectives.[8] He believed that the grace of Christ was indispensable to human freedom, and he framed the concepts of original sin and just war.

Quote:Influence on Protestant reformers

While in his pre-Pelagian writings Augustine taught that Adam's guilt
as transmitted to his descendants much enfeebles, though does not
destroy, the freedom of their will, Protestant reformers Martin Luther
and John Calvin affirmed that Original Sin completely destroyed liberty (see total depravity).

And more comprehensively...

Maybe. But Paul of Tarsus invented the salvation paradigm, which up to then had been unknown in the early Xtian communities. And the fact that he and James fought like cats and dogs, tells me they thought he was nuts. It should really be called Paulianity.

One of the best introductions to Chritianity, and it's historical development that I've seen lately, is the PBS Frontline special, "From Jesus to Christ"...long but very good.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...ion/watch/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
31-03-2012, 10:08 PM
(31-03-2012 08:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  One of the best introductions to Chritianity, and it's historical development that I've seen lately, is the PBS Frontline special, "From Jesus to Christ"...long but very good.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...ion/watch/
Thanks for the reminder. I meant to watch this when it was mentioned before. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-04-2012, 08:56 AM
(31-03-2012 02:01 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 03:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Just watch out for the vulgar hairless talking monkeys. They're vulgar. And hairless.
Why GirlieMan, I do believe you are trying to scare me?! LOL! Will try to see what I can do.

We don't think they bite. But they have been known to throw feces at those peering at them in the enclosures.

(31-03-2012 02:01 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Do they like bananas too?

The one that we've been able to capture and study is insulin resistant and prediabetic, so bananas spike his sugars too much. We keep him on a low carb diet and metformin.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-04-2012, 01:04 PM
(01-04-2012 08:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-03-2012 02:01 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Why GirlieMan, I do believe you are trying to scare me?! LOL! Will try to see what I can do.

We don't think they bite. But they have been known to throw feces at those peering at them in the enclosures.

(31-03-2012 02:01 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Do they like bananas too?

The one that we've been able to capture and study is insulin resistant and prediabetic, so bananas spike his sugars too much. We keep him on a low carb diet and metformin.
Think we will get along just fine. As I said before, regardless of our differences, you all are interesting individuals. Great now I sound like I am trying to analyze...does this make me a mad scientist? If so...I need some large bifocals and some crazy hair!
01-04-2012, 05:15 PM
(30-03-2012 01:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 01:02 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  So why do humans have to be seperated then?
They don't "have" to be.

God chose us to be.

If God chose dolphins, they would be having this conversation right now.
Who are you to say the dolphins aren't having this conversation?
You ignorant speciesist. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
(30-03-2012 12:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Image doesn't mean "look like". Things that are made in God's image take a likeness of God and His attributes.
So far you have stated something about "souls being eternal" and "knowledge of sin", are there any other attributes included in this image?

I'm not convinced that souls exist let alone being eternal, I'm not convinced that there is such a thing as sin.

Of course none of this is testable or knowable, only believable in some people's minds.

I'm assuming that all the other image attributes are also vague conceptual ideas that are either believed or not, but certainly not testable, but I would be keen to know what KC thinks those other attributes are?
Do these have any bearing on evolution?