Sinus hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Sinus hell
Don't know if anyone else here has fucked up sinuses but if you do come join me in my misery. I have a deviated septum from a childhood car accident which broke my nose and curved my septum into a funny S shape. Everytime I get a cold my head stops up and it turns into an infection. I've taken to using saline rinses everyday and of course allergy pills and steroid nasal sprays.... sometimes sudafed, sometimes steam, sometimes even ice on my head.

My next stop is to see an ENT. My primary care doc said I might need an nasal endoscope procedure. Has anyone had this done? If so how did it turn out?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2015, 01:02 AM
RE: Sinus hell
I have chronic sinus inflammation. It's terrible. Without sinus sprays my nose swells shut on an almost daily basis, especially, but not limited to the spring. The unnatural feeling of breathing through my mouth often makes it hard to sleep. I haven't had any surgery, but, I am seriously considering it.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
03-06-2015, 09:25 AM
(03-06-2015 01:02 AM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  I have chronic sinus inflammation. It's terrible. Without sinus sprays my nose swells shut on an almost daily basis, especially, but not limited to the spring. The unnatural feeling of breathing through my mouth often makes it hard to sleep. I haven't had any surgery, but, I am seriously considering it.

I don't have the clogged up lower nasal thing so I can breath ok. It's way up in the sinus cavity and the back of my eyes hurt sometimes, other times my teeth hurt and I've gone to the dentist numerous times thinking something major was wrong with my teeth. My ears get stopped up and these days my equilibrium and balance is off. I can't stand it anymore so I've gotta get the operation to fix it.

Hey, I'll let you know how it turns out.

03-06-2015, 04:31 PM
I have absolutely crap sinuses. Even surgery to fix a years old deviated septum didn't really bring much relief though the surgeon replumbed my sinuses while he was at it.

It's a constant struggle though I am doing a bit better for some reason...the surgery was about 7 years ago...finally I am not getting sinus infections every month. Or maybe I just don't care any more. Dodgy

I finally stopped taking antihistamines/decongestants and use nasal sprays when I need to. OTC and prescription.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
03-06-2015, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 06:19 PM by dancefortwo.)
(03-06-2015 04:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have absolutely crap sinuses. Even surgery to fix a years old deviated septum didn't really bring much relief though the surgeon replumbed my sinuses while he was at it.

It's a constant struggle though I am doing a bit better for some reason...the surgery was about 7 years ago...finally I am not getting sinus infections every month. Or maybe I just don't care any more. Dodgy

I finally stopped taking antihistamines/decongestants and use nasal sprays when I need to. OTC and prescription.

I used to be able to just do steam or a saline rinse but no more. When I use sudafed I end up with a vascular headache that's similar to a migraine, so that's out. I may have a nasal polyp that's keeping my sinus' from draining. I'm trying ice on my head today and it's helping just a bit. Sigh.

03-06-2015, 06:13 PM
(03-06-2015 06:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 04:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have absolutely crap sinuses. Even surgery to fix a years old deviated septum didn't really bring much relief though the surgeon replumbed my sinuses while he was at it.

I used to be able to just do steam or a saline rinse but no more. When I use sudafed I end up with a vascular headache that's similar to a migraine so that's out. I may have a nasal polyp that's keeping my sinus' from draining. I'm trying ice on my head today and it's helping just a bit. Sigh.

I wish I had an answer for you...if I did, I would use it myself.

The side effects of the meds were just too much. The nasal sprays give better results but I have had to go through a series of them to finally get to one that seems to help and I had to have special permission and a sworn statement that I had tried everything else from my doctor for insurance to agree to pay for it.

I finally made the leap from Veramyst to Dymista and that actually gives some relief when combined with mentholated Afrin.

Good luck...and I feel your pain.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
04-06-2015, 04:16 PM
(02-06-2015 10:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My next stop is to see an ENT. My primary care doc said I might need an nasal endoscope procedure. Has anyone had this done? If so how did it turn out?

I've had a couple. I was worried that it would make me gag and throw up all over the doc but they're professionals and it was only slightly uncomfortable instead of painful or gagging. Patanase is pretty damn impressive but requires a script in the US.

#sigh