Sitting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2013, 10:07 AM
RE: Sitting
Very easy answer.
Time and space were created in the big bang.

Why does there need to be some supernatural force behind it?

If a supernatural force initiated the BB, then how did that force come into existence? Queue circular argument.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2013, 10:07 AM
(26-11-2013 10:04 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 09:53 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Unsupported assumption that the universe requires a creator. You have no evidence one way or the other. There is, however, evidence of the expansion and operation of the universe that does not require any creator or maintenance by a creator.

Well... could I have that evidence? (That was kind of the point) Tongue

Post BB evidence or Pre BB evidence ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
26-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Well, since no one else did it (man, you guys are slow this morning) Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-11-2013, 10:27 AM
(26-11-2013 10:06 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 10:04 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Well... could I have that evidence? (That was kind of the point) Tongue

Well, it's kinda complicated and involved, and you don't seem very sciency to me, which is why you got the naïve philosophy shorthand. Big Grin

Aha! No evidence, eh? I guess atheism is disproved (wootwoot). Jk, I liked the video and it answered my question, though it's long and I'm still watching it. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes The_Thinking_Theist's post
26-11-2013, 10:28 AM
(26-11-2013 10:07 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 10:04 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Well... could I have that evidence? (That was kind of the point) Tongue

Post BB evidence or Pre BB evidence ?

We'll know once BB posts his evidence... Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-11-2013, 10:33 AM
(26-11-2013 09:27 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Well, I was sitting and this thought/question occurred to me:

"If God is not real, then how was the universe created?"

Now as I sit alone, (not by myself), I want the atheistic view of the origin of the Universe: ignorance to the creation, knowing the creation, or are views varied?

SO I decided to come to this forum and post.

If the universe was not created by an invisible hyper-intelligent being who unaccountably sends his brainwaves to talk to one when one sits very still and meditates then ...

it must have been created by a complex process which might take a bit of time to even get a vague idea about, possibly a lifetime.

So

it's much simpler to posit a hyper-intelligent super-being Rolleyes

What's so bloody hard about reading wikipedia article on big bang ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
26-11-2013, 10:36 AM
(26-11-2013 10:16 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, since no one else did it (man, you guys are slow this morning) Big Grin

This morning? OK, I'll take that as a compliment.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
26-11-2013, 10:43 AM
(26-11-2013 09:27 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Well, I was sitting and this thought/question occurred to me:

"If God is not real, then how was the universe created?"

Now as I sit alone, (not by myself), I want the atheistic view of the origin of the Universe: ignorance to the creation, knowing the creation, or are views varied?

SO I decided to come to this forum and post.

Tho many scientists are working on just this question; they have not come up with a definitive answer. There are however, quite a few hypothesis out there; were I more intelligent, I could probably understand some of them.
Suffice it to say that, in science, atheists are as excited by the response of "I don't know" as they are by the response "I know".
As Carl Sagan put it, "I don't know. It's ok to not know until all the evidence is in."
What you've asked is the "god of the gaps" argument; one that has been refuted soundly by atheist thinkers (Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, Shermer, Hitchens among others) since it was first posed. Simply stated, if there is no know cause or reason, a theist will push god into the "gap" left by the response, "I don't know".
Hardly a conclusive, verifiable answer.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
26-11-2013, 10:45 AM
(26-11-2013 10:27 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 10:06 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, it's kinda complicated and involved, and you don't seem very sciency to me, which is why you got the naïve philosophy shorthand. Big Grin

Aha! No evidence, eh? I guess atheism is disproved (wootwoot). Jk, I liked the video and it answered my question, though it's long and I'm still watching it. Big Grin

It is a good and accessible presentation. Really expected this crowd to pop that video in with alacrity, but they're slacking today. Big Grin

26-11-2013, 10:48 AM
(26-11-2013 10:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  What's so bloody hard about reading wikipedia article on big bang ?

Because reading is boring, and we're people, and it's so much more fun to show off our big brains and throw insults around. Why are you so hostile this morning?