Situational Depression

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2013, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 01:16 PM by GirlyMan.)
Situational Depression
So this is new and different. I'm used to dealing with manic depression and the associated existential angst and whatnot, but this is something different. Gastritis and herpes in the eye keep flaring up spontaneously and shit and my Doc thinks it's from the stress of situational depression or adjustment disorder. I says "What? I got no stress." Doc says, "Your 47 yo brother dropped dead from sudden cardiac arrest a few months ago, followed by your uncle shortly after. Your wife and youngest son were in 2 serious car accidents in the space of a couple weeks. Your wife's been in constant pain since. You had to cover the mortgage on 2 houses until GirlyBoy got his first paycheck while you were furloughed making 20% less pay. You got stressors."

I just feel like sleeping, like all the time. Got a half million in the bank to take care of my kin, another million in life insurance. This degree of dontgiveashititis is new and different. Doc says it's temporary, that's why they call it "situational depression". "Everything's temporary, Doc."

Well, that felt good to get off my chest. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 02:44 PM
RE: Situational Depression
[Image: 20130208-030_4727024a.jpg]
Powerful you are. Past this, you shall get.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 6 users Like ELK12695's post
09-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Girly you gigantic MOFO! Any one or two of those things would qualify for major stress, that is so much to cope with. I know you'll get through this with your usally Girly aplomb Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
09-09-2013, 03:01 PM
You have been dealing with a lot Girly...I am not all that surprised that all you want to do is sleep, that is sometimes the best way to escape.

Hugs, lots and lots of hugs.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-09-2013, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 03:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-09-2013 02:44 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Powerful you are. Past this, you shall get.

Thanks Elk. Ain't my first rodeo, this bronc just bucks a bit different is all. I got this.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
09-09-2013, 03:21 PM
(09-09-2013 03:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 02:44 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Powerful you are. Past this, you shall get.

Thanks Elk. Ain't my first rodeo, this bronc just bucks a bit different is all. I got this.

... "Sunday is always in Philadelphia!"

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
09-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Take a fiber supplement for the gastritis. Find a new hobby. Spoil yourself with whatever turns you on. You've been through the wringer and you internalized it.

You can also watch a movie that will make you cry and ball your eyes out. Or go to a shrink and do the same.

Says she who does the same thing when the shit hits the fan. I bet you are stoic like me.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
09-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Girly's got a flexible backbone.

Here's a hug. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
09-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Sounds like it's time for some good ol' self care, Girly! You've been here before, just for different reasons- that's all. Round up your positive coping skills, take a breath, take it a moment at a time and push on through. Your Doc said it's situational and temporary- he meant in a good way. It won't last and one day (hopefully soon) you'll wake up from the fog of shitty hands being dealt by life. It's the ebb and flow. I've been there, too. Lots of hugs!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
09-09-2013, 05:25 PM
All types of depression can be really bad.
Worst of all when you feel totally flat and zombified.
I always used the acronym DIAPT, depression is a passing thing.
No good while its there, though.
May be an a/d for a short while?Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post