Poll: Do you think they should change the types?
No, it's perfect.
Yes, they should change it.
They shouldn't even be placing types on us!
[Show Results]

Six types of atheism too restrictive

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2013, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 04:40 AM by knowlegelover.)
Six types of atheism too restrictive
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/15...-atheists/

The "types" of atheists study disturbs me. The researchers who have tried to put labels, or categories, on atheists seem to be ignorant of the simple definition of atheism.

Atheism (n.)
The lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

What do those researchers not understand about about this? To be an atheist, all you need to do is have a lack of belief. Seriously, that's it. No other requirements are neccesary. To put categories on atheism is to imply that there is more to being an atheist. It's like categorizing intelligence, there are no clear boundaries and atheists differ in nonbelief than believers could ever be. Even if there wer 6 or 32 types, they'll never be close to getting all, or even the major, "types".

And the categories that they have chosen have problems with a few of their definitions. Let's look at them shall we:

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic:
Implies that one must be an active debater on internet sites, when the majority of so called intellectual atheists are content to just curl up with a good book. This needs rewording.

2) Activist
Is it me or did the definitions of antitheist, activist and intellectual get muddled together?

3)Seeker-agnostic:
Since it is impossible to prove nonexistence of a deity, most atheists are agnostic. To be a gnostic atheist, one must have 100% certainty of a supernatural entity and this is not possible. Many claim to be agnostic atheists. Its almost impossible NOT to be one. Category is made useless.

4)Antitheist
This isn't even a category! Atheism is unrelated to antitheism, people can be both but it does not mean the same/ it is a part of it!

5)Nontheist
We already have a name for this and it's called apatheism. It's connected to atheism but is a loose definition.

6)Ritual
Okay now this is just ridiculous. Maybe some atheists attend but so what? This is not worthy of a category because it is so vague. Church attendance/non attendance is not an aspect of atheism. Whether an atheist attends religious services or not is out of the question.

If they insist on lumping atheists into categories, i demand that they widen their scope and fix their current types first, because to me, any normal atheist won't be able to fit into just one type.[/i]

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

"I love science, logic, and reason. And thus an atheist was born."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like knowlegelover's post
30-07-2013, 04:38 AM
RE: Six types of atheism too restrictive
Next they'll be listing the types of Jews you might have to watch out for.

Banker Jews
New World Order Jews
Baby-eating Jews
Bacon-cheeseburger-God-is-dead Jews
Media Jews
etc., etc.

Dividing up a hated group into subgroups allows for the growth and flowering of new, specific varieties of hatred. Like hybridizing orchids... foul, ugly, virulent orchids.

(p.s. In case anyone gets uncomfortable, no I don't have anything against Jews. Judaism generates some of the best atheists.)

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 4 users Like I Am's post
30-07-2013, 04:40 AM
When it comes to things like this, if you define yourself, you restrict yourself. People like nice, neat categories to judge people with. I try to ignore them.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
30-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Divide et impera - by breaking atheist/nonbelievers down in smaller chunks the growing number of atheists appear less threatening. The seeker agnostic and ritual atheist categories appear as those who are open to evangelizing attempts, while other categories are not.

The sample of 59 interviews isn't that big and who did this study anyway.
30-07-2013, 06:35 AM
(30-07-2013 03:33 AM)knowlegelover Wrote:  To be a gnostic atheist, one must have 100% certainty of a supernatural entity and this is not possible.

Hobo

You don't know WTF yer talking about... so stop talking. Big Grin

Yeah, the categories are stupid, the article's stupid, and the whole thing comes across as derogatory.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2013, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 06:53 AM by knowlegelover.)
HoboHobo:sleepy:Well im sorry for offending you. I'm not trying to say that there is no evidence that God doesn't exist, in fact there are a LOT of evidence, that's why I'm an atheist and not a true agnostic.

What i'm trying to say is that you can't fully prove nonexistence- kind of like saying prove there isn't an invisible pink unicorn that can't be detected with human senses orbiting the Earth right now. But the burden of proof lies on believers.

We're just expressing opinions here okay? So chill.

Edit: oops, supposed to read 100% certainty of THE NONEXISTENCE of a supernatural deity. My bad

Stupid stupid hurrrr durrrrr HoboLaughat

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

"I love science, logic, and reason. And thus an atheist was born."
30-07-2013, 06:48 AM
(30-07-2013 06:43 AM)knowlegelover Wrote:  Well im sorry for offending you. I'm not trying to say that there is no evidence that God doesn't exist, in fact there are a LOT of evidence, that's why I'm an atheist.

What i'm trying to say is that you can't fully disprove nonexistence- kind of like saying prove there isn't an invisible pink unicorn that can't be detected with human senses orbiting the Earth right now.

We're just expressing opinions here okay? So chill.

I WILL NOT CHILL AND YOU CANNOT MAKE ME!!!!!!1111!!!!

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-07-2013, 06:57 AM
there are types?????
30-07-2013, 06:58 AM
there are types? well who came up with these ditties?
30-07-2013, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 07:11 AM by Bucky Ball.)
"They should change it".
So a research group does a study, and the result doesn't reflect your simplistic preconception, so "they" should *change* it because they find everyone doesn't fit in your neat little predefined box ? Seriously ? Are you like 12 years old ? Who died and made you the label pope-nazi ?

BTW, I'm an apatheist-igtheist, and I'll define myself however I damn well please, your holiness. And if someone asks, I will answer honestly, and I expect their study to honestly reflect the research results, not be changed to reflect someone's preconception. That's not how research works.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche