Poll: Do you think they should change the types?
No, it's perfect.
Yes, they should change it.
They shouldn't even be placing types on us!
[Show Results]

Six types of atheism too restrictive

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2013, 03:22 PM
RE: Six types of atheism too restrictive
(30-07-2013 12:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 07:07 AM)knowlegelover Wrote:  @ Bucky Ball I am protesting this BECAUSE the researchers have the "simplistic preconceptions" you are speaking of. I don't have a "neat little predefined box", what im trying to say is atheism can't be defined this simply. The research does no justice to the flexibility and wide scope that atheism encompasses. And im not against them conducting studies on it, its just that i question the effectiveness of trying to fit atheists into such rigorously defined categories. And, they have too small a sample. Only 59 people participated in this study.

Your OP's intro implied that not only were there not 6 categories, there was only ONE category, in which everyone fit.
Statistically, the sample could be valid, depending on what their intent and results were.
The authors have further clarified (elsewhere) what a Pandora's box, ("sleeping giant") they opened.
They already have admitted they were shocked by the response to their categories, and that they need to expand them.

We really misunderstood each other. Perhaps i should reword my post.

For anone who wants to understand my stand, I REPEAT: i am not against these sort of studies, in fact, i find them interesting. Nor do i think categorizing atheists is wrong. All i wanted to say is i question its effectiveness, and wanted to point out its flaws. If they will improve it, that's great! I will probably be the first person you will see on that website because i'm a sucker for groupings/categories.

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

"I love science, logic, and reason. And thus an atheist was born."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2013, 03:55 PM
& bucky ball- that "one category" im trying to imply is, actually, atheism in general. Atheism is simply defined as lack of belief in gods. With such a simple defining characteristic, there are so much more ways to unbelieve than to believe, which is why not many people can fit into one category, or maybe even fit in any at all! I myself is an intellectal agnostic ritual atheist. The categories are so muddled you might have a hard time fitting into one.

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

"I love science, logic, and reason. And thus an atheist was born."
31-07-2013, 09:58 AM
One of the many reasons why I am an atheist now is to get away from a label/class. I don't feel or see the need to classify us at all.
31-07-2013, 01:54 PM
(31-07-2013 09:58 AM)T3hhippie Wrote:  One of the many reasons why I am an atheist now is to get away from a label/class. I don't feel or see the need to classify us at all.

Ah, so you're an aclassificationist ? Tongue
31-07-2013, 06:27 PM
(31-07-2013 01:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-07-2013 09:58 AM)T3hhippie Wrote:  One of the many reasons why I am an atheist now is to get away from a label/class. I don't feel or see the need to classify us at all.

Ah, so you're an aclassificationist ? Tongue

Grrrrrrrr...Dang it! I hope that is actually not a "thing".
[+] 1 user Likes T3hhippie's post
20-08-2013, 08:01 PM
(30-07-2013 06:58 AM)donna Wrote:  there are types? well who came up with these ditties?

I'm not sure, I was shocked to see there was an better version of atheism dubbed atheism+. Now when reading Orwell they always put the plus in front of things. Like Double Plus Good.
20-08-2013, 08:25 PM
If Christians feel the need to divide themselves among about a zillion different offshoots of Christianity, I suppose we aren't doing to bad if we can hold the division down to 6.

It's all about the need to label.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy