Skeptic's Annotated Bible Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Skeptic's Annotated Bible Question
I was browsing the Skeptic's Annotated Bible site with the new BibViz Project search features and I came across this:

Click Here

I'm confused. I read the passage, but that question doesn't make sense to me. Eunuchs were usually men who were castrated before puberty. Why is there a question over whether the guy was homosexual? what part of that passage hints to it? I read it, but I don't see it. I know that not all eunuchs were asexual, but I just don't see that in that passage.

Am I just not seeing something here, or am I missing some information about this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2013, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2013 04:19 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
RE: Skeptic's Annotated Bible Question
I don't know either, but it reminds me of some clip I had seen of Pat Robertson who explained that there were homosexuals in the past that were also Christian. But could be good christians because they denied acting on their desires. He said something about an example of eunuchs being gay men who became eunuchs so they could remain good christians...or something like that.

This might be a responce to that, I don't know. And I can't look up the Pat Robertson clip right now to share it. but if you Youtubed it maybe you'd find it.

The SAB may not be saying it is homosexual, but addressing people's claims that "true" Christian homosexuals would become eunuchs rather than sin, suggesting that that would not be a bad idea for gay me to do today.

26-08-2013, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2013 03:46 PM by slydog.)
Thanks. Smile

I did look up something about some eunuchs being gay, but nothing conclusive. I will have to look at that video.

It's quite possible the remark on the SAB is complete satire or sarcasm in response to what Robertson said or other christains if they have said similar things.
27-08-2013, 09:11 PM
I was trying to find the clip with Pat Robertson talking about eunuchs and being gay. This link is the best I've been able to find so far.

I don't know if any of it is accurate at all. The over all page seems to be a response against anti-gay bigotry in churches, but seems to be a religious site itself (I'm not really sure about that). So do not know of any accuracy of any of it and I have not researched any of it. But either way, pro or con, it does present some religious people's ideas of eunuchs as mentioned in the bible and being gay, which is what the question was about regardless.

The following is one small piece cut & pasted:
"NATURAL EUNUCHS WERE THOSE WE REFER TO TODAY AS GAYS
Ancient law differentiated between natural Eunuchs, and mutilated Eunuchs.
Natural Eunuchs were homosexual men of that time, and had all rights and duties of ordinary men."

27-08-2013, 09:31 PM
By the way, I would not quote this site unless you have researched any of the validity of it's claims. I'm not sharing the link because I am standing by it's accuracy, or that it's information that should be re-expressed as knowledge. This is the first I've read of these concepts of eunuchs and and have no idea if any or how much of it's true (except for the obvious part). I share it simply to show how some religious people depict eunuchs and gays as being the something in the bible.

Hope I made that clear. Please do not repeat things in this link unless you know or confirm they are historically accurate and are is not in fact bullshit, which most of what is posted on the internet is.

28-08-2013, 05:42 PM
I was also having an incredibly hard time finding a source that is reliable, and I am using a database where I can search for scholarly articles. Only one article mentioned the eunuch, and he was mentioned as a character with unknown gender/sexuality. Nothing more than that. Dodgy

Thanks for that link. At least I now know why there is a question about the eunuch's sexuality in the SAB. It was incredibly confusing when I first saw it.
28-08-2013, 07:09 PM
(28-08-2013 05:42 PM)slydog Wrote:  .... It was incredibly confusing when I first saw it.

Much like the original?

Drinking Beverage

28-08-2013, 07:47 PM
(28-08-2013 07:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-08-2013 05:42 PM)slydog Wrote:  .... It was incredibly confusing when I first saw it.

Much like the original?

Drinking Beverage

Yep, just as confusing as the original. Laugh out load