Skeptical theism is dumb

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 01:53 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 01:56 AM by donotwant.)
Skeptical theism is dumb
Quote from wikipedia
Quote:Skeptical theists argue that due to humanity's limited knowledge, we cannot expect to understand God or his ultimate plan. When a parent takes an infant to the doctor for a regular vaccination to prevent childhood disease, it's because the parent cares for and loves that child. The infant however will be unable to appreciate this. It is argued that just as an infant cannot possibly understand the motives of its parent due to its cognitive limitations, so too are humans unable to comprehend God's will in their current physical and earthly state.

So the vaccination analogy is basically saying that small amount of pain is done to the child now to avoid problems in the future. However. If you could choose between painful vaccination and painless vaccination wouldn't it be more moral to choose painless vaccination? Why would you want to choose painful one you like to torture children?

And besides if nobody can comprehend gods reasons for doing things how can they say god is good then?
And besides if we don't know why serial killers do what they do does it mean that we can't say that what they did is bad? Now THAT's dumb.
Excellent selfpwnage by skeptical theism.

Here is link to the whole thing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_...cal_theism
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 02:43 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 02:48 AM by sporehux.)
RE: Skeptical theism is dumb
I don't see the two terms coexisting, the instant you are skeptical about gods plans, you have apostatized and are agnostic or a very bad wayward christian at best.
What they (so called skeptical theists) are saying is meant to be projected at others to rationalize their own faith.
They themselves are zero % skeptical.

So I agree, its stupid allright.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
26-02-2014, 02:50 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 02:56 AM by donotwant.)
I don't care much about the name I addressed the point of the argument.
Not knowing the intentions doesn't make actions not evil.
And it is extremely unlikely that an omnipotent being couldn't come up with a way to protect sentient beings from evil without doing evil.
Another point is that with their reasoning they can't label god as good either.
26-02-2014, 02:56 AM
Sorry I mostly read and reply at stoplights and traffic stops, I miss the context of post allot.
My replies can seem odd Wink

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
26-02-2014, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2014 09:41 AM by CleverUsername.)
- Yes, a pinprick is totally the same as dying in agony, losing a limb, being tortured, and all the other horrible things that happen on this planet. Completely.

- Again, death. Nothing after it on this planet. What better thing is going to come around for these people?

- Parents can't really explain what's happening to their children. God can. I'm sure a "Hey, sorry about that car crash, but you'll write a book about it and become a famous author" or whatever he'd need to say would be very comforting.

- God is omnipotent. He doesn't need to do painful stuff to make good stuff happen, he can just make it happen. Human parents sometimes do, because they aren't omnipotent.

Psst. Theists. Being unable to come up with a good analogy is usually a good indicator your argument sucks.
26-02-2014, 09:24 AM
I used to believe this sort of thing when I was in college. The analogy I came up with was a parent telling the kid to eat broccoli instead of candy because of nutrition (something the child wouldn't understand).

Of course, now I realize that was a bad analogy. A better analogy would be the parent telling the kid to eat broccoli instead of candy, even though the parent has the ability to make broccoli taste like candy or to make candy as nutritious as broccoli, yet chooses not to. This is the problem with any analogy a person uses that compares God to a person. People have limitations that God supposedly does not. So, either their god is great and the analogy fails on first principles, or the analogy is not great, and their god is no more impressive than any random person. There's no magical third option once they go down this road.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
26-02-2014, 10:23 AM
I guess this means god is all about the ends justifying the means. Oh yeah, definitely how I want to live my life. :eyeroll:

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
26-02-2014, 10:28 AM
(26-02-2014 09:24 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I used to believe this sort of thing when I was in college. The analogy I came up with was a parent telling the kid to eat broccoli instead of candy because of nutrition (something the child wouldn't understand).

Of course, now I realize that was a bad analogy. A better analogy would be the parent telling the kid to eat broccoli instead of candy, even though the parent has the ability to make broccoli taste like candy or to make candy as nutritious as broccoli, yet chooses not to. This is the problem with any analogy a person uses that compares God to a person. People have limitations that God supposedly does not. So, either their god is great and the analogy fails on first principles, or the analogy is not great, and their god is no more impressive than any random person. There's no magical third option once they go down this road.

Hahahaha can't agree more Big Grin
26-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Its just a long winded version of "God works in mysterious ways..."

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user