Skepticism is a Problem for the Pragmatist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2017, 08:20 AM
RE: Skepticism is a Problem for the Pragmatist
(09-02-2017 07:21 AM)Naielis Wrote:  And science doesn't operate on self-correction for new data.

Facepalm

[Image: Stephen-Hawking-Do-You-Even-Science.jpg]

Quote:All beliefs need grounding.

What part of "my beliefs are demonstrable and testable and have repeatedly provided reliable results and I'm still willing to change them if new evidence is found" do you think doesn't provide a basis for holding them?

Philosophy is like any other hobby... it can be interesting and enjoyable but the end result doesn't get you anywhere and it shouldn't get in the way of practical necessity.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
09-02-2017, 08:52 AM
2+2=16.

Oh hang on wait, I can't correct this mistake. I'd be wishy washy.

Seriously mate. Give it a rest.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
09-02-2017, 09:43 AM
(09-02-2017 07:21 AM)Naielis Wrote:  Again, you cannot use skepticism. It isn't a tool to be used. It's not synonymous with doubt or suspicion. It's a complete system.

Speak for yourself. There are different levels of skepticism. It can be a complete system (and there are different levels of that as well), but it is also possible to be skeptical about a particular claim without subscribing to skepticism as an overall philosophy. I am skeptical about many of the claims you have been making.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
09-02-2017, 09:45 AM
(09-02-2017 07:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-02-2017 07:21 AM)Naielis Wrote:  And science doesn't operate on self-correction for new data.

You have no clue how science works. It changes on new data all the time, you ignoramus.
http://exploredia.com/top-10-scientific-...t-century/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of...iscoveries
You really are just a poe/troll, aren't you ?

Quote:Again, you cannot use skepticism. It isn't a tool to be used. It's not synonymous with doubt or suspicion. It's a complete system.

She can use anything she wants, Your Holiness.

Quote:All beliefs need grounding. That is what philosophy does.

Philosophy is insufficient without evidence. Your premises could be wrong, (as they were in your stupid cosmological argument).

I understand science very well. Read Thomas Kuhn please. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/thomas-kuhn/#2
And no you can't use skepticism unless you are a skeptic.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
09-02-2017, 09:46 AM
(09-02-2017 09:43 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(09-02-2017 07:21 AM)Naielis Wrote:  Again, you cannot use skepticism. It isn't a tool to be used. It's not synonymous with doubt or suspicion. It's a complete system.

Speak for yourself. There are different levels of skepticism. It can be a complete system (and there are different levels of that as well), but it is also possible to be skeptical about a particular claim without subscribing to skepticism as an overall philosophy. I am skeptical about many of the claims you have been making.

Right I agree. But she was saying she used skepticism which I don't think is possible to do unless you are a skeptic. To be skeptical of a claim is not to use skepticism.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
09-02-2017, 09:49 AM
(09-02-2017 08:52 AM)Banjo Wrote:  2+2=16.

Oh hang on wait, I can't correct this mistake. I'd be wishy washy.

Seriously mate. Give it a rest.

Your epistemological foundation is 2+2?

09-02-2017, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2017 09:57 AM by GirlyMan.)
(09-02-2017 09:45 AM)Naielis Wrote:  I understand science very well. Read Thomas Kuhn please.

Do you think you understand science as well as someone who has been a practicing scientist or engineer for more than twice your lifespan? 'Cause that'd be cool. There are at least a dozen or so here. Maybe you can cover on sick days.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-02-2017, 09:52 AM
(09-02-2017 09:45 AM)Naielis Wrote:  I understand science very well. Read Thomas Kuhn please. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/thomas-kuhn/#2
And no you can't use skepticism unless you are a skeptic.

[Image: 2e0vasl.png]
09-02-2017, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2017 10:03 AM by GirlyMan.)
(08-02-2017 02:43 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Well if your foundation is constantly changing, you are probably a bit too wishy washy.

Not wishy washy, sexy. So sexy it hurts. I shake my little touche on the catwalk, yeah on the catwalk.

Are those women wearing .... paint?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
09-02-2017, 10:02 AM
(09-02-2017 09:46 AM)Naielis Wrote:  
(09-02-2017 09:43 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Speak for yourself. There are different levels of skepticism. It can be a complete system (and there are different levels of that as well), but it is also possible to be skeptical about a particular claim without subscribing to skepticism as an overall philosophy. I am skeptical about many of the claims you have been making.

Right I agree. But she was saying she used skepticism which I don't think is possible to do unless you are a skeptic. To be skeptical of a claim is not to use skepticism.

You can define skepticism that way if you like, but you can't force everyone else to do so. The English language is not mathematics. Words can have several meanings, or ambiguous meanings. I would say that being skeptical of individual claims is "using skepticism". You don't get to dictate how everyone else uses language.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post