Skeptiko Interview ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Skeptiko Interview ?
I just listened to Seth's interview on Skeptiko....has anyone else?

http://www.skeptiko.com/

The whole time while I was listening I kept thinking that it should be an interesting rebuttal show! Seth will grind this guy to pulp now that he knows the obviously whacky concepts this Alex Tsakiris guy has!! I do hope Seth follows through, why walk away from a fight when Seth could easily annahilate this guy with logic! Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2012, 10:13 PM
RE: Skeptiko Interview ?
(28-08-2012 11:35 AM)saffronasha Wrote:  I just listened to Seth's interview on Skeptiko....has anyone else?
http://www.skeptiko.com/
The whole time while I was listening I kept thinking that it should be an interesting rebuttal show! Seth will grind this guy to pulp now that he knows the obviously whacky concepts this Alex Tsakiris guy has!! I do hope Seth follows through, why walk away from a fight when Seth could easily annahilate this guy with logic! Thumbsup
Well, I guess you must know by now that the follow-up interview will not happen. And that's not unexpected. I've listened to enough Skeptiko podcasts to know that Alex always tries to push his believer agenda regardless of the guest. He's too deep into his belief of consciousness surviving death to do a true debate with a skeptic like Seth. In fact, I was very surprised that Seth was going to be on Skeptiko. Very few skeptics have been on Skeptiko and the few who have gone on realized that they've been had (Skeptiko is anything but skeptical). Why? Because Alex will always spin things post-interview to fit his agenda. He continues to trash Shermer, Wiseman, and Coyne (previous interviewees) at every opportunity. Just read what he's now saying about Seth.
30-08-2012, 08:56 PM
So, for the record, Alex appears to have banned me from posting on the Skeptiko forum.

Why? Well I responded to this comment:
"You're not really saying anything interesting. Why do you believe we are not conscious either before birth or after death? You need to provide arguments, not a mixture of unsubstantiated assertions and insults."

...with this provocative reply:
"Because that's the null hypothesis Ian. Its up to you folks to provide evidence to the contrary, and you have not."

So much for brave Alex Tsakiris taunting Atheists to come and debate him. What a complete coward.
05-09-2012, 05:24 PM
I found the interview very interesting. How Seth pressed the host on his beliefs showed it matters to both of them in absorbing the evidence or even coming to terms to debate. I really didn't like that Seth showed up to a discussion on that show without doing any research.. I was actually very unimpressed with that and that he started the show saying about atheists and thinking, “Absolutely not. Just because somebody’s an Atheist does not mean it’s a guarantee that they’re thinking.” Which apparently he was not in this case. Now don't bite my head off I am an active user on this forum under a different name (I just know how fundamental atheists respond to any form of discussion that doesn't agree with their ideology) and I am in many discussions in favour of atheism and scepticism but I was seriously unimpressed with Seth on this matter. He didn't even know who Richard Wiseman was and his discussions of psi/esp and their growing evidence (Yes, growing and positive results).
05-09-2012, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2012 05:33 PM by FSM_scot.)
(05-09-2012 05:24 PM)Barnpsychotic Wrote:  I found the interview very interesting. How Seth pressed the host on his beliefs showed it matters to both of them in absorbing the evidence or even coming to terms to debate. I really didn't like that Seth showed up to a discussion on that show without doing any research.. I was actually very unimpressed with that and that he started the show saying about atheists and thinking, “Absolutely not. Just because somebody’s an Atheist does not mean it’s a guarantee that they’re thinking.” Which apparently he was not in this case. Now don't bite my head off I am an active user on this forum under a different name (I just know how fundamental atheists respond to any form of discussion that doesn't agree with their ideology) and I am in many discussions in favour of atheism and scepticism but I was seriously unimpressed with Seth on this matter. He didn't even know who Richard Wiseman was and his discussions of psi/esp and their growing evidence (Yes, growing and positive results).

One Account per user. Please pick one to keep.

Also you don't need to make another account to make a post, in case people don't agree with you. You could have posted from your original account. This is a forum. Not everyone will agree on everything here. Even if it's about Seth.
07-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I'd not heard of Skeptiko, so I clicked over and checked out the transcript. I was looking forward to adding a new site to my quiver, but I quickly saw that Skeptiko is, as has been pointed out, not a skeptic's website. I was angered by the trash-talk the host resorted to after he found out that Seth wouldn't do a follow-up interview. When you don't have the answers, poop on people. Yeah, that's a good tactic. I mean, the title had me somewhat suspicious: "The Thinking Atheist Backs Down From Science Debate". He didn't back down from a science debate. What that was was not a science debate.

Seth did a fantastic job during the interview, I think. I hope he makes at least some brief mention of it on his show.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
07-09-2012, 03:28 PM
The most recent podcast (#184) with Rupert Sheldrake is quite illuminating. Sheldrake is one of Alex’s heroes. Alex has this knack of trying to get his interviewees to agree with his views. In this case, it was to say atheists must also be materialists. Well, Sheldrake shot down that notion pretty quickly. I don’t agree with much of Sheldrake’s conclusions (like his psychic pets research), but I appreciate his respect for science and its history. I can’t say the same about Alex. These Skeptiko podcasts are quite educational – they let you see confirmation bias in its full glory in a true believer like Alex. Any evidence, no matter how tenuous, that suggests consciousness surviving death is embraced, while any contrary evidence is deemed “silly” or “provably wrong”. The irony whenever Alex goes off on a rant about close-minded scientists is quite delicious. Yes, Skeptiko is entertaining, but not in the way Alex Tsakiris thinks.
[+] 1 user Likes nbourbaki's post
19-09-2012, 01:46 PM
(07-09-2012 03:28 PM)nbourbaki Wrote:  The most recent podcast (#184) with Rupert Sheldrake is quite illuminating. Sheldrake is one of Alex’s heroes. Alex has this knack of trying to get his interviewees to agree with his views. In this case, it was to say atheists must also be materialists. Well, Sheldrake shot down that notion pretty quickly. I don’t agree with much of Sheldrake’s conclusions (like his psychic pets research), but I appreciate his respect for science and its history. I can’t say the same about Alex. These Skeptiko podcasts are quite educational – they let you see confirmation bias in its full glory in a true believer like Alex. Any evidence, no matter how tenuous, that suggests consciousness surviving death is embraced, while any contrary evidence is deemed “silly” or “provably wrong”. The irony whenever Alex goes off on a rant about close-minded scientists is quite delicious. Yes, Skeptiko is entertaining, but not in the way Alex Tsakiris thinks.
.Thumbsup

I can't fathom why Seth doesn't follow up and debate Alex....can anyone else understand it...nbourbaki? I thought with his intellect he'd find it a wonderful challenge, I doubt Dawkins, or Shermer would back off from such a challenge? Come on Seth!!! Alex is sounding off about his own perspective, and without a response from you it's comes across like he has intimidated you. You are 'The Thinking Atheist' afterall. You can't think when you only surround yourself with like minded people, branch out!