Skin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 01:05 PM
RE: Skin
(14-10-2014 10:19 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  ...
I wonder what people's thoughts on it are here?

My thoughts...

Times have changed.

Suck it up, kid and grow some.

Angel

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
16-10-2014, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2014 03:18 AM by Luminon.)
(14-10-2014 10:19 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  What exactly happened to it?

When I was a kid you had to be able to take things on the chin and get on with it, from bullying to a death in the family, but I've been watching the whole western world make this dramatic shift to removing everyone's skin in the last decade or so. Everything now seems to be based on doing absolutely everything possible to avoid offending anyone, and of course it's also involved people completely removing their skin to the point that they are offended by literally anything and everything. We now live in an era of people getting 'PTSD' from reading troll posts on twitter, and people threatening to kill themselves if crude comedy websites or TV shows are not outlawed. It's even gotten to a point that in some circles it's considered offensive to use gender pronouns or to make self deprecating jokes. And of course law suits based on someone being offended by something are one of the most common these days.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the dramatic shift left in academia, and the ability for like-minded people to so easily meet up via the internet, but I don't know exactly any of the origins for it.
Christians used to have a saying, if you don't have belief in the big god, you're bound to have lots of small superstitions. It sure reminds me of Terry Prattchett's Hogfather.
I have heard it applied on law too, without great moral laws there's going to be lots of tiny laws passed all the time like kidney stones. We're lacking the non-aggression principle, so there must be thousands of laws about who can or can't attack whom, when, in what way, wearing which costume, after what due procedure, shit like that. The more corrupt the state, the more laws it has.

And it seems that social etiquette goes that way as well. We don't know who we are, we have no boundaries, so everything is an intrusion or abandonment, or both. To an insecure person, everything is a threat, insecure ones are the most passive-aggressive by their very presence and they smother all conversation. Empty people can not stand the inspiration of others, because inspiration makes their emptiness visible.

Curiously, the anti-racists talk about the race the most and they take care to include non-whites everywhere. So racism is a good thing, if it propagates the virtues of non-whites. Anti-racists see the world in terms of race, just like racists. Why not call them by one word?

Hell, gender pronouns? I've noticed that too. Using such pronouns as "she" for the user in gaming and computer articles is kind of awkward.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
16-10-2014, 03:57 AM
(16-10-2014 03:04 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 10:19 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  What exactly happened to it?

When I was a kid you had to be able to take things on the chin and get on with it, from bullying to a death in the family, but I've been watching the whole western world make this dramatic shift to removing everyone's skin in the last decade or so. Everything now seems to be based on doing absolutely everything possible to avoid offending anyone, and of course it's also involved people completely removing their skin to the point that they are offended by literally anything and everything. We now live in an era of people getting 'PTSD' from reading troll posts on twitter, and people threatening to kill themselves if crude comedy websites or TV shows are not outlawed. It's even gotten to a point that in some circles it's considered offensive to use gender pronouns or to make self deprecating jokes. And of course law suits based on someone being offended by something are one of the most common these days.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the dramatic shift left in academia, and the ability for like-minded people to so easily meet up via the internet, but I don't know exactly any of the origins for it.
Christians used to have a saying, if you don't have belief in the big god, you're bound to have lots of small superstitions. It sure reminds me of Terry Prattchett's Hogfather.
I have heard it applied on law too, without great moral laws there's going to be lots of tiny laws passed all the time like kidney stones. We're lacking the non-aggression principle, so there must be thousands of laws about who can or can't attack whom, when, in what way, wearing which costume, after what due procedure, shit like that. The more corrupt the state, the more laws it has.

And it seems that social etiquette goes that way as well. We don't know who we are, we have no boundaries, so everything is an intrusion or abandonment, or both. To an insecure person, everything is a threat, insecure ones are the most passive-aggressive by their very presence and they smother all conversation. Empty people can not stand the inspiration of others, because inspiration makes their emptiness visible.

Curiously, the anti-racists talk about the race the most and they take care to include non-whites everywhere. So racism is a good thing, if it propagates the virtues of non-whites. Anti-racists see the world in terms of race, just like racists. Why not call them by one word?

Hell, gender pronouns? I've noticed that too. Using such pronouns as "she" for the user in gaming and computer articles is kind of awkward.

A note on the racism too I think that a user by the name of Spade Spade put it best when he said that anti-racism or 'reverse racism' is itself a racist term which implies heavily that racism belongs to white people. I have to agree with that, but funnily enough in this skinless culture it appears to be 'racist' to say that racism against white people exists.

I'm not sure what you mean by the use of 'she' unless you meant to write 'shi'?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
16-10-2014, 05:10 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2014 05:16 AM by Luminon.)
(16-10-2014 03:57 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  A note on the racism too I think that a user by the name of Spade Spade put it best when he said that anti-racism or 'reverse racism' is itself a racist term which implies heavily that racism belongs to white people. I have to agree with that, but funnily enough in this skinless culture it appears to be 'racist' to say that racism against white people exists.

I'm not sure what you mean by the use of 'she' unless you meant to write 'shi'?
No, I mean 'she', have you read a videogame manual any time recently?
In most articles, the author needs to refer to the reader/user with a pronoun, because writing "the reader" all the time would be awkward.But in recent years, English, which has gender-neutral nouns (no "la riviƩre" like in French), is using female pronoun by default.

The skinless culture reminds me of another phenomenon, an auto-immune disease.
New Agey alternative medicine believers say, that detoxing is good for you, it can solve lots of problems in one go.
Imagine an organism that is full of toxic deposits, fungal spores, disease-ridden, inhabited by parasites and so on. Or even a cancer tumor. Such an organism can still have a functional immune system, but this immune system has developed a tolerance towards the unhealthy stuff, because it isn't strong enough to fight it. The white blood cells go by whistling and twirling their batons, without attacking the parasites. But they must attack something, they're built that way. So typically, they attack a harmless pollen or dust, food allergens, or worse, defenseless healthy bodily tissues, even nerve cells.

Remember priests? Sexual energy that isn't allowed to be used in healthy, heterosexual ways, has to find outlet elsewhere, in an illicit way on helpless victims.

These are signs that something is interfering with mankind very strongly, our social instincts are driven out of their grooves. There's a big elephant in the room that we can't talk about, we're not even allowed to notice it and it's not just religion. It's the fact that people don't know how to reason, how to be moral, how to have principles, but everything runs on power and obedience. Parents, teachers, employers, government, they have no power which is authority, only force which is violence. And violence needs to be covered up by fake and fallacious moral arguments.

Humans live in the rational realm, ecosystem of mind, by the laws of organized thought or computing. Humans need non-violent childhood and reasoning principles the same way that lions need teeth, crayfish need pure water and pandas need bamboo.
It's not just the danger of extinction, quite opposite. Aristotelian logic is for us the same thing as dominant matriarch for wild boar herd. When poachers shoot the large wild pig matriarchs, there's a lot of excessive fucking and the herds overbreed on rapid rate and destroy the fields and undergrowth. I think there's a lot of poachers around.
16-10-2014, 05:26 AM
I haven't noticed any of that, but then again I haven't read video game manuals for years. I would assume either it is because women are assumed to be more likely to read the manual rather than jump right in, or maybe it is to encourage more women to get involved in the culture since men are already deep into it and don't need encouragement to continue?

I think you certainly have an interesting way to look at things on a whole, but I'm not sure how this really applies to the topic at hand. It seems like it's more suited to a discussion of modern morality, or the lack of it, rather than a discussion about the drive for society to be perpetually offended and incapable of taking criticism.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
16-10-2014, 06:02 AM
(16-10-2014 05:26 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I haven't noticed any of that, but then again I haven't read video game manuals for years. I would assume either it is because women are assumed to be more likely to read the manual rather than jump right in, or maybe it is to encourage more women to get involved in the culture since men are already deep into it and don't need encouragement to continue?
Heh, nice one, that's a very sexist thing to say Thumbsup (just kidding)

(16-10-2014 05:26 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I think you certainly have an interesting way to look at things on a whole, but I'm not sure how this really applies to the topic at hand. It seems like it's more suited to a discussion of modern morality, or the lack of it, rather than a discussion about the drive for society to be perpetually offended and incapable of taking criticism.
I can only speak from the experience of rummaging around my own psychology, as a veteran of psycho-spiritual crisis (DSM IV category). Strange as it is, the healthy reaction to criticism is curiosity. Curiosity about myself, but especially about the other person.

Neurotic traits (which you point out) have a way of going subconscious. Extremely sensitive or defensive people have so much problems that they know they can't afford any more. (their life sucks) People who have more than they feel they can handle must project it others. Suppressed problems come out of the woodwork and if we don't accept them as ours (which most people refuse to do), we act them out and blame others.
And people who don't react to any criticism positively, exhibit narcissistic traits, or psychopathic traits, if they don't react at all. One way to look at government is to see people who can ignore a demonstration of millions of citizens.

The morality aspect refers to the Aristotelian idea that acting virtuously (which includes consistency of thought, speech and action) is the source of true happiness. That means thinking, saying what you think and doing what you say.
Can political, gender and racial correctness (not saying what you think) make anyone happy? Certainly not people who feel like they have no identity left but their genitals and skin color.
You probably don't feel that way, you feel that you are so much more than your anatomy and hue that you wouldn't feel insulted even with a fairly informal language.
17-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Part of the freedom to say what you want implies the freedom of others to not like what you have to say. Communication happens on a bigger scale these days. You get more people chiming in. For the average, every day interaction of people about their business ("on the street," if you will) not much has changed. The difference is the public forum now includes more television and the internet.
17-10-2014, 10:48 AM
The only problem i see is that assertiveness is now (these days) confused with aggressiveness when there's a distinct difference between the two. Some days i walk on the eggshells of the internet; weighing my every word and somedays i don't.
I keep waiting for a well balanced, intelligent generation to show up but each group seems only more spoiled than the group before them.
And when i say spoiled i mean 'all about me & my preciousness' type thinking; the just waiting to be offended.
Some days i am careful with them and somedays im in the fuck-it department.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
17-10-2014, 11:13 AM
I grew up in a very "deal with it yourself" environment. So I tend to not get it either. I'm used to solving my own problems with very little or no help. I'm used to accepting slight mistreatment or prejudice and just dealing with it and getting on with your day. I'm used to doing what you have to do to get to your objective, even if it seems like trudging through bull-crap. I'm used to thinking, "Life's not fair, but play the game right and you can get what you need." Also used to living with the thought that every mistake I make can lead to consequences, and if I don't want to live those consequences I better not eff up and make mistakes.

I don't understand complaining or making a fuss over things that are just inconveniences or minorly offensive (especially if it seems you have to "want to be offended" in order to find those things offensive.) I also don't fully sympathize with the complaints of people who got themselves in bad life situations through their own decisions. For lack of a better word, I find this life a "blessing" and I see so much opportunity to make the best of it, or at least make it as positive of an experience as you can. I just don't get it when people spend their time complaining.

Not to say that there aren't some real issues that do need to be combatted, or real circumstances which do warrant extreme resistance or disapproval. But the majority of the stuff I see people complain about or get offended over is NOT that kind of stuff.
---
@Nurse there are tens of thousands of games out there. If you have a genre in mind, I'm sure you could find a game you would enjoy.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
17-10-2014, 11:28 AM
(17-10-2014 11:13 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I grew up in a very "deal with it yourself" environment. So I tend to not get it either. I'm used to solving my own problems with very little or no help. I'm used to accepting slight mistreatment or prejudice and just dealing with it and getting on with your day. I'm used to doing what you have to do to get to your objective, even if it seems like trudging through bull-crap. I'm used to thinking, "Life's not fair, but play the game right and you can get what you need." Also used to living with the thought that every mistake I make can lead to consequences, and if I don't want to live those consequences I better not eff up and make mistakes.

I don't understand complaining or making a fuss over things that are just inconveniences or minorly offensive (especially if it seems you have to "want to be offended" in order to find those things offensive.) I also don't fully sympathize with the complaints of people who got themselves in bad life situations through their own decisions. For lack of a better word, I find this life a "blessing" and I see so much opportunity to make the best of it, or at least make it as positive of an experience as you can. I just don't get it when people spend their time complaining.

Not to say that there aren't some real issues that do need to be combatted, or real circumstances which do warrant extreme resistance or disapproval. But the majority of the stuff I see people complain about or get offended over is NOT that kind of stuff.
---
@Nurse there are tens of thousands of games out there. If you have a genre in mind, I'm sure you could find a game you would enjoy.

Really good post! Well said you!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post