Skipping the humanitarianism and jumping right into the proselytizing
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2012, 10:14 AM
RE: Skipping the humanitarianism and jumping right into the proselytizing
The problem I have with this type of missionary work is the empty promises. They go. They preach. They tell these people that if they become Christians, they will get all kinds of free shit from jeebus. Then, because they are now "believers" the church sends them a pittance once in a while. The people say, "well shit, all we gotta do is play along with this jeebus crap and we get help from these Christians." Kids get raised as Christians, and all of a sudden you got a bunch of hungry people who dump the little they have into a collection plate.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
30-07-2012, 03:45 PM
RE: Skipping the humanitarianism and jumping right into the proselytizing
(30-07-2012 09:53 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(29-07-2012 09:55 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think I'm having a problem with the term "genuinely good". If you mean "genuinely well-intentioned", well, ok.

I think it will not be possible for your friend to hear (he may listen to you but with not understand) that his actions may bring harm and at very best have neutral-effect.

I think I would try to turn his focus to the practical good he can do (rather than the ethereal) and get him to promise to think about the potential outcomes of his actions each day and the value he is creating in their lives.

To create value he must think of two things: Utility (fit for purpose) and Warranty (fit for use).
For Utility... Is what he is going to do today something that will:
a) enhance performance or
b) remove constraints
to achieve his victims', sorry, customers' desired outcomes.
NOTE: Not his own desired outcomes.
For Warranty... Is what he going to do that day something that will improve their lives in terms of availability, capacity, continuity and security of e.g. health care, clean water, safe food etc.)

E.g. Desired outcome = safe drinking water.
Utility: Remove the constraint of having to walk 50km to the nearest store / river by digging a well.
Warranty: Ensure that the water can be tested/treated to remove impurities; has a steady flow without removing water that is needed downstream for other peoples; can be stored, cleanly; is continually safe to drink. And that no bandit can set themselves up as a WaterLord monopoly and extort everyone else.

If, after his stint there, you can report that he has achieved MEASURABLE benefits then I will be the first to applaud him as "genuinely good".

You're a) overthinking things b) not accounting for full context

He's a geniunely good person because he a) does altruistic things for folks here at my office without expecting anything in return b) seems to intensely honest - e.g. not deceitful c) he does all sorts of genuine volunteer work helping homeless folks, etc. locally

This particular trip is providing no real "good" but he behaves in a generally "good" way often (actually, most of the time).

Good? Not really. He may be well-intentioned but he's naive and ineffective.
By naive and ineffective, I mean he's an idiot.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply