Skirted issues during this election cycle.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Skirted issues during this election cycle.
So are there any issues that NONE of the candidates are making this time around that you'd really like to see talked about? A few that have been a real thorn in my side are closing taxation loopholes and simplification of the code itself...
eventually leading to repatriation of a shit ton of money to stabilize the economy a bit...
eventually leading to phasing out corporate subsidies...
(That's really one issue in my book)

Another one is education and what efforts we're gonna make to put learning something and excelling at it on a higher priority. I like sciences and literature in this scenario. (Not really an issue, but a related idea, some way to incentivize corporations... To incentivize education. No clue how to do that, but I wonder how that concept would play out.)

Energy technologies is another one. I'm not against fossil fuels, but I am all for the study of new energy technologies. I want some hover cars already god dammit! Parallel with that, just tech in general. Humans can advance pretty damn quick when we have goals to work towards as a whole, a simple example is the space race.

What can you guys add to the list?

Acceptance is a hell of a drug.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2016, 05:15 PM
RE: Skirted issues during this election cycle.
Technology in general. Forget trying to add two or three months onto the average lifespan. I wanna colonize Mars. With robots.

But seriously, I've been paying more attention to the Transhumanist party and guys like Zoltan Istvan lately. Not because I give a shit about living fever, but because I like the focus on scientific advancement. Our best way out of a world plagued by crazy ideologies is, in my opinion, to tech our way out of a context in which such irrationality is even survivable and then let cultural evolution take care of the rest.

'Murican Canadian
05-01-2016, 06:14 PM
You must only be looking at GOP candidates if you say NONE of the candidates are addressing corporate tax loopholes, education, and fossil fuels. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
05-01-2016, 06:34 PM
(05-01-2016 06:14 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You must only be looking at GOP candidates if you say NONE of the candidates are addressing corporate tax loopholes, education, and fossil fuels. Drinking Beverage

Nah I see the problems as multifaceted. They're using the right buzzwords, like closing loopholes, but then not addressing repatriation and code reform. They say I want better education, but don't address what "better" means and how to get there. I could go on...

Acceptance is a hell of a drug.
[+] 1 user Likes Noric's post
07-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Actually, of all people, Fiorina has been the one to address reforming the tax code and how the wealthy exploit its convoluted language to their benefit. She specifically mentioned in one of the debates that she would alter the federal tax code to just three pages so that the lay folk could comprehend it just as well as the elites. I'd question why a former bigwig CEO would work at closing off loopholes she could utilize for herself, but then again, this is the woman who drove HP into the ground when she was heading it, so maybe a proclivity for cavalier recklessness over her assets is just in her nature.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
07-01-2016, 06:11 PM
(05-01-2016 06:34 PM)Noric Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 06:14 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You must only be looking at GOP candidates if you say NONE of the candidates are addressing corporate tax loopholes, education, and fossil fuels. Drinking Beverage

Nah I see the problems as multifaceted. They're using the right buzzwords, like closing loopholes, but then not addressing repatriation and code reform. They say I want better education, but don't address what "better" means and how to get there. I could go on...

That's what politicans always do.
"Better education!"
"close loopholes!"
"reduce crime!"
blah blah blah.

They never actually elaborate how. Which is rather stupid consider all job interviews I've been too have pointed to some bullshit I've put on my CV and asked me to give an example. If some pleb can ask those questions in a job interview why does everyone just take what these douchebags say at face value? And than we cry and moan when they don't deliver. What the fuck did people expect?

"better education!" Ok, that's all well and good. How?
"by investing more money!" And where are you getting this "more money"? and what exactly are you going to invest it in? More teachers? more schools? where are these schools and teachers going? etc.. etc..

But that's not how you win elections anyway. The way to win elections is to have a bowling average that's not total trash but not good enough it alienates people who aren't pro-bowlers. That's the key to winning elections because people are fucking moronic pieces of shit who don't care about the 'hows' or even what the issues even are for that matter.
08-01-2016, 04:19 PM
It was slightly a topic for some last big presidential cycle, but this go around I have heard nothing, not from candidates or even the media brigade yet of: Change the election process itself.

Not just the remove corporate & financial influence. Just the element itself. The date situation which is entirely pointless in this era as it's based on an agricultural long travel era country. A random Tuesday does nothing to drive people in. The question of potential term limits for other elected roles, static voting booth systems, & looking to embrace the idea of not talking about voting as just a day to open early voting style mindsets.

The only time anything of this nature gets brought up in this context is via "fear" and not about improvement or inclusivity in the vision for the country.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post