Sky Anomaly (Any Thoughts?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2012, 06:07 AM
Sky Anomaly (Any Thoughts?)
The two accompanying pictures were taken about a year ago. My sister and I were driving our younger brother to school one morning and I noticed something strange in the sky. It was a very faint, hazy black line that stretched across the blue sky above. While the line itself was faint, its outline was rather solid, and the anomaly itself seemed to stem directly from the rising Sun. I suspected an unusually dark chem-trail from a plane, but the construct and length of the perfectly-straight line seemed to rule this out (at least as a probability). It lingered in the air for about 10-15 minutes before slowly fading as the Sun ascended into the sky.

The only way I can really describe it is by saying that it seemed as though there were a piece of the Sun missing, thus casting a singular dark shadow upon the Earth - or perhaps by saying that an object in the sky were obstructing a small section of the Sun's rays.

I'm obviously not a "woo"-inclined individual, nor do I suspect it to be any sort of "UFO" phenomenon, but as we observed it at length and tried to determine what it could be; we came up with no tangible explanation. We're completely at a loss.

So, any thoughts?

*Note* The pictures are somewhat unclear and don't do the anomaly justice; which is to be expected from a camera-phone.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2012, 06:31 AM
RE: Sky Anomaly (Any Thoughts?)
Found these after a quick Google-search.

I kind of feel like facepalming myself. Dodgy

[Image: 99be290e-5074-4c66-9a06-47157c65be39.jpg]

[Image: d4b373e1-6ce7-4770-abf9-a2625fafc0a2.jpg]

15-10-2012, 06:35 AM
(15-10-2012 06:07 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  The two accompanying pictures were taken about a year ago. My sister and I were driving our younger brother to school one morning and I noticed something strange in the sky. It was a very faint, hazy black line that stretched across the blue sky above. While the line itself was faint, its outline was rather solid, and the anomaly itself seemed to stem directly from the rising Sun. I suspected an unusually dark chem-trail from a plane, but the construct and length of the perfectly-straight line seemed to rule this out (at least as a probability). It lingered in the air for about 10-15 minutes before slowly fading as the Sun ascended into the sky.

The only way I can really describe it is by saying that it seemed as though there were a piece of the Sun missing, thus casting a singular dark shadow upon the Earth - or perhaps by saying that an object in the sky were obstructing a small section of the Sun's rays.

I'm obviously not a "woo"-inclined individual, nor do I suspect it to be any sort of "UFO" phenomenon, but as we observed it at length and tried to determine what it could be; we came up with no tangible explanation. We're completely at a loss.

So, any thoughts?

*Note* The pictures are somewhat unclear and don't do the anomaly justice; which is to be expected from a camera-phone.

I hope you don't actually mean "chem-trail". Consider

I have seen this effect and concluded that it is the shadow of a contrail. The sunlight is scattered by particles in the atmosphere, so the dark line is merely less of the scattered light.
There is nothing there where you see the dark line, and it will be seen in a different position for different observers.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-10-2012, 06:37 AM
It can all be explained by letting Jesus into your heart and your sex life.

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like frankiej's post
15-10-2012, 06:39 AM
(15-10-2012 06:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-10-2012 06:07 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  The two accompanying pictures were taken about a year ago. My sister and I were driving our younger brother to school one morning and I noticed something strange in the sky. It was a very faint, hazy black line that stretched across the blue sky above. While the line itself was faint, its outline was rather solid, and the anomaly itself seemed to stem directly from the rising Sun. I suspected an unusually dark chem-trail from a plane, but the construct and length of the perfectly-straight line seemed to rule this out (at least as a probability). It lingered in the air for about 10-15 minutes before slowly fading as the Sun ascended into the sky.

So, any thoughts?

I hope you don't actually mean "chem-trail". Consider

I have seen this effect and concluded that it is the shadow of a contrail. The sunlight is scattered by particles in the atmosphere, so the dark line is merely less of the scattered light.
There is nothing there where you see the dark line, and it will be seen in a different position for different observers.

Yeah, I'm kind of pissed that I didn't realize that before. lol