Skyrim tips pls.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Skyrim tips pls.
I'm a level 21 Nord.
Go ahead and laugh. Level 21 and that's it, I know.

I'm actually having a difficult time leveling up. I'm not sure if I'm going about it correctly or just missing the point on how to level up at all. I'm doing multiple quests and I go to people and get them to train me, but I just never seem to level up.
Help pls.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2013, 11:22 AM
RE: Skyrim tips pls.
You can only use the training a few times per level. Just go exploring clearing dungeons etc that's what I did.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
26-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Honestly it just takes questing and time.

It becomes a lot slower the higher you get.

Just concentrate on what you enjoying doing and dont worry about the levels, they will come.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
26-02-2013, 12:11 PM
What exactly causes the leveling up?
Quest completion?
Weapons usage?
Buying things?

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2013, 12:31 PM
(26-02-2013 12:11 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  What exactly causes the leveling up?
Quest completion?
Weapons usage?
Buying things?
Well, what levels up depends on what youre using. Thats one of the great things about Skyrim, you level up based on what/how you play.

I'll use myself as an example.

I play as a thief. So the things that usually level up quickly for me are archery (because I distance stealth kill a lot) Sneaking, One handed weapons (I use a dagger if I'm in a pinch) Light armor (because as a thief you want something lightweight and quiet) Lockpicking, Pickpocketing, and Speech (sweettalking people)

As well as the more obvious: questing, dungeon trolling, cheating...err...I mean buying skill, reading books, fighting, etc

This website can explain it more eloquently than I can

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveling

Just have fun! It will happen.
26-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Specifically, YOU don't level up. Your skills level up.

Use your skills, when you use them, they get better. When enough of them get better, you gain a level.

You're a nord, but what kind of character? Sword and shield fighter? Archer? Spellcaster? Thief? Use your favorite skills.

My first character was a thief (so I opened lots of locks and picked pockets a lot, and used stealth a lot) and an archer (so I used bows but tried to avoid getting into melee with swords). For that character, I used the skills I mentioned, plus light armor and restoration magic (for healing). I also used alchemy to make poisons for my arrows and healing potions too. I sometimes used swords and shield when the enemy got too close to use my bow effectively.

So those were my main skills. I used them a lot. I picked every lock I could find, I fired my bow at every deer and wolf and bad guy in the land, even at chickens and foxes and rabbits, I made potions and poisons, I picked a lot of pockets, etc. Your armor skill goes up from being hit (one weird tip: find a weak monster, like a wolf, and let it chew on you without killing it while cast healing spells every now and then to make sure you don't die, and just stand there for a while getting chewed on, your armor skills will slowly level up this way - or just don't do this and the skill will still level up from being hit in your actual fights).

As your skills go up, so does your level, so just using the skills is all you need to do.

Or, you could try leveling up some of the skills you never use. I didn't use much blacksmithing, but one day I decided to level up up and make my own dragonscale armor. So I just focused on blacksmithing. By the time I got that skill to 100 I had also leveled my character about 3 full levels, just by doing that one skill.

One word of warning - the game sets the monster levels to match your own level, so make sure you keep your favorite combat skills well leveled-up and also put some useful perks in those combat skills. If all you do is level up non-combat stuff like blacksmithing, enchantment, lockpicking, etc., you could get to a high level fighting high level monsters with crappy combat skills because you neglected them while you were leveling up.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
26-02-2013, 12:55 PM
(26-02-2013 11:22 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  You can only use the training a few times per level. Just go exploring clearing dungeons etc that's what I did.

Go with this.

I'm only a lvl 9 but got that way quickly by exploring.

After this semester it will hopefully pick up quickly.

Jesus loves you, but the Devil gives you cool shit.
26-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Oh, I suggest NOT using the trainers. I have six characters over level 50 now, and I found that using the trainers makes the game harder. You get quick skills in one single area. These skills add to your level. Your level goes up. But all your other skills tend to lag behind a bit, creating weaknesses that you must deal with in the dungeons.

For example, if you spent the last 10 levels paying a trainer to improve your One-Hand skill by a total of 50 points, you will have a really high One-Hand skill, but all your other skills will be about 50 points lower than One-Hand. You would also have gained a couple levels just from those skill points you paid for. Now you go to a dungeon and fight the monsters, but your armor skill is too low and your block skill is too low and your other skills are all too low.

The other way, never paying a trainer, means you level all your main skills at the same time. In the dungeons, you keep fighting monsters, so your One-hand skill goes up, but so does your armor skill, your block skill, your archery skill, lockpicking, stealth, etc. They all go up together this way.

Also, by using trainers, you gain levels faster but you don't gain equipment faster. Those magical items you find in the dungeons are sometimes useful. Paying for training means more leveling with less exploring. Less exploring means less magical items.

If you must use trainers, at least make sure to mainly use them for your primary fighting and exploring skills (don't use them to pay for the non-combat skills or your level will go up without gaining anything you can use to survive in the dungeons). Also spread it around, train a different skill each level so you don't get one super high skill and a bunch of crappy ones.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
26-02-2013, 01:18 PM
I wouldnt worry too much about your level btw. I've been playing pretty solidly for 2 years and I'm only just about to hit level 44 Smile
26-02-2013, 01:42 PM
If you've played any of the previous Elder Scrolls games, the leveling system in Skyrim doesn't seem so bad Smile

'Murican Canadian