Slacklining

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 02:38 PM
RE: Slacklining
(02-05-2017 02:13 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 01:50 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  I forgot which famous tightrope walker fell to his death trying to walk between the twin towers in NYC back in the 70s or early 80s. Why did he think a safety harness would make him a wimp? I cant do that even with one. I would not have thought less of him if he had used a safety harness.

Redundancy in real life as far as safety is why the Apollo 13 crew in REAL LIFE made it back despite the oxygen tank problem. The movie really distorted reality. Most of what they had to revise on the spot in the real mission was planned ahead.

You might be thinking of Karl Wallenda, who fell to his death while attempting to walk between two much smaller towers in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The only person I know of who ever attempted the twin towers in NYC was Philippe Petit, who succeeded in 1974 and is still alive today. There was recently an IMAX movie (called "The Walk") about his adventure.

Those guys are professionals, though. They know the risks they're taking, and the possibility of falling is part of the game. You can't really compare them to some amateur who just wants to try it. Such people should definitely take safety precautions (and even the pros take safety precautions to a certain extent, as was made plain in the movie I referred to).

I stand corrected. But thjs guy did walk between the World Trade Centers. Both were stupid even if the WTC guy made it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2017, 05:36 PM
(02-05-2017 12:26 PM)jennybee Wrote:  [Image: 1401511_539788099435787_1492430460_o-300x200.jpg]

That looks scary.
It also looks like a horrible way to DIE Ohmy

Can I grab onto it with my hands and shimmy across, or is that cheating?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
02-05-2017, 05:42 PM
(02-05-2017 05:36 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 12:26 PM)jennybee Wrote:  [Image: 1401511_539788099435787_1492430460_o-300x200.jpg]

That looks scary.
It also looks like a horrible way to DIE Ohmy

Can I grab onto it with my hands and shimmy across, or is that cheating?

Nah, you're over water and not that high up...and on land also not that high up and you can wear a safety harness. But I'm sure shimmying is allowed Tongue
02-05-2017, 06:07 PM
No Never did, never will. A man's got to know his limitations.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
02-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Slacklining
I think I'm going to try this. It's going to be over a large canyon and I'm not going to have a safety harness. That would just take the thrill out of it.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
02-05-2017, 08:12 PM
(02-05-2017 08:05 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I think I'm going to try this. It's going to be over a large canyon and I'm not going to have a safety harness. That would just take the thrill out of it.

Wink Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Yeah...nope

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-05-2017, 08:14 PM
(02-05-2017 08:05 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I think I'm going to try this. It's going to be over a large canyon and I'm not going to have a safety harness. That would just take the thrill out of it.

Make sure you do it on a windy day Popcorn

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
03-05-2017, 02:32 AM
Just talked to a co-worker who is into slacklining for quite some time:

It trains your torso. Belly, back and shoulder muscles in particular. It also trains your sense of balance, for obvious reasons. Its very hard at the start, but you will make progress quickly. It is also very good if you have problems with your knees, since it provides no firm ground to stand on but is soft and springy. Athletes with knee injury use slacklines for reconvalescence he told me.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
03-05-2017, 06:00 AM
(03-05-2017 02:32 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Just talked to a co-worker who is into slacklining for quite some time:

It trains your torso. Belly, back and shoulder muscles in particular. It also trains your sense of balance, for obvious reasons. Its very hard at the start, but you will make progress quickly. It is also very good if you have problems with your knees, since it provides no firm ground to stand on but is soft and springy. Athletes with knee injury use slacklines for reconvalescence he told me.

It does seem like it would be a good workout and lots of fun (to me anyway Tongue ). You don't need much equipment and you get the pretty scenery of the outdoors, all while challenging yourself. I definitely want to give it a try. Thumbsup