Slacklining

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 09:09 AM
RE: Slacklining
(03-05-2017 06:00 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 02:32 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Just talked to a co-worker who is into slacklining for quite some time:

It trains your torso. Belly, back and shoulder muscles in particular. It also trains your sense of balance, for obvious reasons. Its very hard at the start, but you will make progress quickly. It is also very good if you have problems with your knees, since it provides no firm ground to stand on but is soft and springy. Athletes with knee injury use slacklines for reconvalescence he told me.

It does seem like it would be a good workout and lots of fun (to me anyway Tongue ). You don't need much equipment and you get the pretty scenery of the outdoors, all while challenging yourself. I definitely want to give it a try. Thumbsup

Yes all you need is two random trees out there in the park. At least thats what he was doing.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
04-05-2017, 03:07 PM
(03-05-2017 09:09 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 06:00 AM)jennybee Wrote:  It does seem like it would be a good workout and lots of fun (to me anyway Tongue ). You don't need much equipment and you get the pretty scenery of the outdoors, all while challenging yourself. I definitely want to give it a try. Thumbsup

Yes all you need is two random trees out there in the park. At least thats what he was doing.

Do you know if he's been doing it a long time? Just wondering how hard it is to pick up. I have pretty good balance already from my yoga, but definitely think this would be a fun way to challenge it Thumbsup
04-05-2017, 11:36 PM
(02-05-2017 02:38 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 02:13 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  You might be thinking of Karl Wallenda, who fell to his death while attempting to walk between two much smaller towers in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The only person I know of who ever attempted the twin towers in NYC was Philippe Petit, who succeeded in 1974 and is still alive today. There was recently an IMAX movie (called "The Walk") about his adventure.

Those guys are professionals, though. They know the risks they're taking, and the possibility of falling is part of the game. You can't really compare them to some amateur who just wants to try it. Such people should definitely take safety precautions (and even the pros take safety precautions to a certain extent, as was made plain in the movie I referred to).

I stand corrected. But thjs guy did walk between the World Trade Centers. Both were stupid even if the WTC guy made it.

OMG. That twin tower thing gives me the whim-whams. I'm gonna stick to my curb walking, than you very much.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-05-2017, 12:16 AM
(04-05-2017 03:07 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 09:09 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Yes all you need is two random trees out there in the park. At least thats what he was doing.

Do you know if he's been doing it a long time? Just wondering how hard it is to pick up. I have pretty good balance already from my yoga, but definitely think this would be a fun way to challenge it Thumbsup

Mhm, at least for a year or so. But i dont know how intensely, because he is talking much more about indoor climbing.

05-05-2017, 05:01 AM
(02-05-2017 08:14 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 08:05 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I think I'm going to try this. It's going to be over a large canyon and I'm not going to have a safety harness. That would just take the thrill out of it.

Make sure you do it on a windy day Popcorn

With sleet and freezing rain. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-05-2017, 05:03 AM
Just talked to him again. He is doing it once a week in the climbing hall. He is 2 years in total into it.

Another colleague mentioned he is doing it as well. Told me it took him a whole summer, once a week, to get comfy with the slackline.

05-05-2017, 07:06 AM
(05-05-2017 05:03 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Just talked to him again. He is doing it once a week in the climbing hall. He is 2 years in total into it.

Another colleague mentioned he is doing it as well. Told me it took him a whole summer, once a week, to get comfy with the slackline.

Oh cool, thanks for finding that out for me Smile I can't wait to try it and it'll be great with the warmer months coming up because I'd like to try it over water to start.
05-05-2017, 07:11 AM
Sounds like a sex thing.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-05-2017, 07:30 AM
(05-05-2017 07:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Sounds like a sex thing.

Laugh out load You're right, it does.
05-05-2017, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 08:11 AM by RearViewMirror.)
Slacklining has been around for years. Don't confuse it with tightrope walking (hence the name "slacklining"). I think it's cool as shit that some people have the ability to slackline. If I was younger I would probably have liked to play around with it.

Here's a couple of videos of slacklining from the mundane to the extreme.

Dean Potter was arguable the best slackliner in the world until his untimely death during a base jump.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post