Slacklining

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2017, 08:21 AM
RE: Slacklining
(05-05-2017 08:08 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Slacklining has been around for years. Don't confuse it with tightrope walking (hence the name "slacklining"). I think it's cool as shit that some people have the ability to slackline. If I was younger I would probably have liked to play around with it.

Here's a couple of videos of slacklining from the mundane to the extreme.

Dean Potter was arguable the best slackliner in the world until his untimely death during a base jump.

Thanks for posting those Smile The last two are definitely extreme! I will not be trying this without a harness Tongue Those people are insane! But Wow!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-05-2017, 08:28 AM
(05-05-2017 08:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Thanks for posting those Smile The last two are definitely extreme! I will not be trying this without a harness Tongue Those people are insane! But Wow!

I suppose insanity could be defined in many different ways. Dean lived life to the fullest. It's sad that he died during a base jump in Yosemite but he died doing something he loved. I would much rather go out like that than wasting away of some form of disease or car crash. Life is meant to be lived and that he did.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
05-05-2017, 08:35 AM
(05-05-2017 08:28 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 08:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Thanks for posting those Smile The last two are definitely extreme! I will not be trying this without a harness Tongue Those people are insane! But Wow!

I suppose insanity could be defined in many different ways. Dean lived life to the fullest. It's sad that he died during a base jump in Yosemite but he died doing something he loved. I would much rather go out like that than wasting away of some form of disease or car crash. Life is meant to be lived and that he did.

Good point Thumbsup But I'd like to prolong the healthy existence I have for as long as possible Tongue Don't get me wrong, I love adventure and challenging myself in a variety of ways and I like to have fun and take risks, but with some safety measures in place. In other words, still slackline, but do so with a harness. I understand some people need more "extremeness" to truly push and challenge themselves and I'm a firm believer and living your life as you see fit. But for me, I believe in adventuring safely so I can have many more adventures to come in the future Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
05-05-2017, 08:44 AM
(05-05-2017 08:35 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 08:28 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I suppose insanity could be defined in many different ways. Dean lived life to the fullest. It's sad that he died during a base jump in Yosemite but he died doing something he loved. I would much rather go out like that than wasting away of some form of disease or car crash. Life is meant to be lived and that he did.

Good point Thumbsup But I'd like to prolong the healthy existence I have for as long as possible Tongue Don't get me wrong, I love adventure and challenging myself in a variety of ways and I like to have fun and take risks, but with some safety measures in place. In other words, still slackline, but do so with a harness. I understand some people need more "extremeness" to truly push and challenge themselves and I'm a firm believer and living your life as you see fit. But for me, I believe in adventuring safely so I can have many more adventures to come in the future Smile

I agree. I personally wouldn't do it without a tether. Hell... I wouldn't do it much more than 5' off the ground lol.

But that said I've always had an adrenaline junkie side to me. No one in their right mind should run into a burning structure that everyone else is trying to get out of but that's exactly what I've done for 23 years. I've bungee jumped and I highly recommend it. I will say this... If I ever win the lottery, you better take out a life insurance policy on me. I'll buy a Lamborghini Huracan Performante. If you tell me that it will do 220mph I promise I will go out somewhere and find out if it will. That is why I never purchased a motorcycle. I KNOW I do not have the self control to ride one. I'd do something stupid.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
05-05-2017, 09:06 AM
It'd be great for balance and control. Sometimes, I walk the side of a 2x4 just to keep centered. I noticed when I fall off my 2x4, I hurriedly get back on - I immediately go into balance mode - straight into the zone. It's a major focus thing, for me.
I think I'd do that slack thing a few feet off the ground or over water, that would be fun. Not too far up, though - falling isn't the point - keeping balance is. On a hot day, though ... over a cool pool ... that would be wonderful. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
05-05-2017, 09:12 AM
(05-05-2017 09:06 AM)kim Wrote:  It'd be great for balance and control. Sometimes, I walk the side of a 2x4 just to keep centered. I noticed when I fall off my 2x4, I hurriedly get back on - I immediately go into balance mode - straight into the zone. It's a major focus thing, for me.
I think I'd do that slack thing a few feet off the ground or over water, that would be fun. Not too far up, though - falling isn't the point - keeping balance is. On a hot day, though ... over a cool pool ... that would be wonderful. Shy

Bolding mine. That's no challenge. You'd fall in on purpose! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
05-05-2017, 09:37 AM
(05-05-2017 09:06 AM)kim Wrote:  It'd be great for balance and control. Sometimes, I walk the side of a 2x4 just to keep centered. I noticed when I fall off my 2x4, I hurriedly get back on - I immediately go into balance mode - straight into the zone. It's a major focus thing, for me.

So agree!! Smile

05-05-2017, 09:56 AM
(05-05-2017 08:44 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 08:35 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Good point Thumbsup But I'd like to prolong the healthy existence I have for as long as possible Tongue Don't get me wrong, I love adventure and challenging myself in a variety of ways and I like to have fun and take risks, but with some safety measures in place. In other words, still slackline, but do so with a harness. I understand some people need more "extremeness" to truly push and challenge themselves and I'm a firm believer and living your life as you see fit. But for me, I believe in adventuring safely so I can have many more adventures to come in the future Smile

I agree. I personally wouldn't do it without a tether. Hell... I wouldn't do it much more than 5' off the ground lol.

But that said I've always had an adrenaline junkie side to me. No one in their right mind should run into a burning structure that everyone else is trying to get out of but that's exactly what I've done for 23 years. I've bungee jumped and I highly recommend it. I will say this... If I ever win the lottery, you better take out a life insurance policy on me. I'll buy a Lamborghini Huracan Performante. If you tell me that it will do 220mph I promise I will go out somewhere and find out if it will. That is why I never purchased a motorcycle. I KNOW I do not have the self control to ride one. I'd do something stupid.

I think I'm a mild adrenaline junkie (if there is such a thing Tongue ). I definitely like more extreme things that most people don't--like ultralight backpacking. One of my bucket list items is to go off the grid for a month or more. For me, life is about balance. Still doing fun, adrenaline-charged things but with safety in mind as well.

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
05-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Looks fun. I'm in. Just nothing crazy high up alright? I'm not scared of heights, but the idea of the sudden stop at the end is more than a little disconcerting.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
05-05-2017, 01:34 PM
I think this is exactly what I am looking for. I'm recovering from my first attack of MS and had to relearn how to walk and hold a knife and fork. I realised that I couldn't just work at getting some of my functionality back, I needed to work at getting better than I was before otherwise I lose functionality with each attack. I also realised that I needed a broad range of physical skills which I could use to gauge exactly how off I was. I have taking up Tai Chi for example. I remember seeing a tightrope for sale once a few years ago and considered buying it, but I didn't know about slacklining until this thread. Shame it's so windy in Scotland.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post