Slaves, Obey Your Masters.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Slaves, Obey Your Masters.
Anyone hear about that Pennsylvania Atheist group who really started a controversy in their neighborhood by placing a billboard that quoted Colossians 3:22 with the image of a black slave in shackles? I'm conflicted with this one. Black people have a right to think it's racist, but the group who placed the image shouldn't be blamed because it's in the Bible. Why are they so up in arms over what's in the Bible? They see the image and the quote, "Slaves, Obey your masters" just goes right over their head. The poster was defaced later, but ironically the quote from the Bible remained intact. Honestly, I think that black people (and white people) have to face the fact that the Bible was used to justify slavery, just read the Lincoln-Douglas debate transcripts. I think it is wrong for black people to look at this as a personal attack, and look at it in the perspective of what happened in history. We can't just rewrite history. This is what happened. The reporter in this bit didn't even acknowledge the passage's existence in the text, and just focused on the bold print. Is the fact that this is IN THE BIBLE (Colossians 3:22) invisible to them [religious people]?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2012, 11:28 PM
RE: Slaves, Obey Your Masters.
I'd say the people that complained are the ones that didn't understand the real reason it was there (or maybe they did if they were christians). As always, ignorance reigns supreme! Sad

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
08-03-2012, 12:17 AM
(07-03-2012 11:28 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  I'd say the people that complained are the ones that didn't understand the real reason it was there (or maybe they did if they were christians). As always, ignorance reigns supreme! Sad

I notice the people who put up the add were Atheists.

Playing the devils advocate perhaps: for mine, I'd be putting my money elsewhereHuh
08-03-2012, 12:34 AM
“Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.”

Yes, because I should be thinking after working all day in brutal conditions for no pay or rights, ‘thanks God for making me a fucking slave!!!!!’

One of my mates actually tried to justify this verse by saying that it is meant to highlight the importance of a master/slave relationship with God, and that such a relationship is optimal as it gives us security and guidance in our lives. He conveniently overlooked the other facets of slavery, like er…….whips!

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I like it when people do stuff like this. It entertains me and wards off the boredom.

Attached File(s)
.gif  3082209+_ec8f505afabb4105f62ca644f79b932c.gif (Size: 28.3 KB / Downloads: 70)

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
08-03-2012, 10:20 AM
The people who designed the poster should have made it clear that it is a bible quote.

Since they didn't, it missed it's goal.

The idea was great, but to execute it properly you have to remember that people need to have things explained to them.

A lot of christians do not know about Colossians. Most people do not read.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-03-2012, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 12:45 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(08-03-2012 10:20 AM)Dom Wrote:  The people who designed the poster should have made it clear that it is a bible quote.

The idea was great, but to execute it properly you have to remember that people need to have things explained to them.

They did..

The xtians might not know what COLOSSIANS 3:22 says, but just about anytime you see '#:#' you can just about guess its referring to some bible quote.
08-03-2012, 02:36 PM
(08-03-2012 12:42 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(08-03-2012 10:20 AM)Dom Wrote:  The people who designed the poster should have made it clear that it is a bible quote.

They did..

The xtians might not know what COLOSSIANS 3:22 says, but just about anytime you see '#:#' you can just about guess its referring to some bible quote.

I don't really see poster confrontation is going to achieve anything.
Atheists need to rise above playing Christians at their own game.
Fighting stupidy with stupidity just creates more stupidity,in this case,
creating more racial tensions............
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
08-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Form: 1/10
08-03-2012, 03:13 PM
(08-03-2012 12:42 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  

They did..

I still think you need to spell things out to people and not assume they will know something.

Obviously they didn't get the meaning of the poster.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man