Sleep Apnea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Sleep Apnea
The sleep paralysis thread made me decide to start this one.

So who here has it? I was diagnosed about 2 years ago and I've been on a CPAP since. I generally hate the CPAP but it has helped so I can't complain that much. I have to wear a full face mask because the nose only one didn't work. My mouth would come open and the air would then shoot out my mouth.

I'm not overweight, I even got underweight thinking that was it and still had it. It took a while to diagnose because the first 2 tests I didn't fail. Then the 3rd one I failed badly. I was pretty certain I had it because not only did I feel tired during the day a lot but I would have routine episodes of waking up gasping for air. For a good while I thought I was having nightmares until I read on apnea and realized I was not able to breathe which was causing me to shoot awake.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
29-03-2017, 12:44 PM
RE: Sleep Apnea
(29-03-2017 10:53 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  The sleep paralysis thread made me decide to start this one.

So who here has it? I was diagnosed about 2 years ago and I've been on a CPAP since. I generally hate the CPAP but it has helped so I can't complain that much. I have to wear a full face mask because the nose only one didn't work. My mouth would come open and the air would then shoot out my mouth.

I'm not overweight, I even got underweight thinking that was it and still had it. It took a while to diagnose because the first 2 tests I didn't fail. Then the 3rd one I failed badly. I was pretty certain I had it because not only did I feel tired during the day a lot but I would have routine episodes of waking up gasping for air. For a good while I thought I was having nightmares until I read on apnea and realized I was not able to breathe which was causing me to shoot awake.

Undiagnosed, but yeah, I have it.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
29-03-2017, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2017 01:39 PM by Loom.)
I don't have it, but I have shot awake a few times gasping for air, back when I was having a really hard time with my anxiety. Doctor chalked it up to stress.

It's an awful feeling.

I'm sorry you have to deal with it every night Hug

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
29-03-2017, 01:57 PM
I've started snoring badly lately, and my doctor is concerned in case I have it. My dad has it. One of the symptoms is being really tired in the day, but as I already have ME this is always the case.

If I find out that actually my ME has been SA all along, it will be a weird mixture of relief and anger. But... it doesn't seem to fit too well. My snoring started after a particularly bad cold that blocked my sinuses.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
29-03-2017, 01:59 PM
I'm on three different inhalers and a nebulizer, on a good day. Straight O2 on a medium day. O2 with my feet elevated on a bad day. No apnea. Go figure. Consider
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-04-2017, 12:09 AM
Have been on CPAP, then BipapC, for almost 20 years. Was amazed by the change in energy and alertness when I started. Hate the damn thing but can't live without it.
18-04-2017, 12:12 AM
I have it but don't have any type of corrective device because of insurance restrictions.
18-04-2017, 12:39 AM
I have it and have been on a CPAP for probably 20 or so years. It has made a huge difference. Back when I went on it you had to go to a sleep center for testing. They said they never saw anyone go out as fast as I did. I remember struggling to stay awake while they hooked everything up. No deep sleep, next to no dream state, 100's of awaking.

I love my CPAP machine. I find the little bit of noise comforting. On a cold night I can slip the covers over my head. Gave up camping soon after. Going back to waking up all night and being sleepy all day just can't be part of a good time.

In the last year and a half I've dropped more than 50 pounds and am zero'ing in on my final goal. Makes no difference. Still need the machine.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
18-04-2017, 06:00 AM
I purchased an adjustable bed and trained myself to sleep on my back at about a 45 degree angle. Bought chin strap to keep my mouth from staying open.

Another benefit is no more back pain.
18-04-2017, 06:16 AM
How troublesome is it keeping those things clean?