Sleep Paralysis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Sleep Paralysis
Hi guys.

Today I just experienced Sleep Paralysis for the first time. Very odd experience. I'm glad I knew a lot about the phenomenon already, so after a bit of confusion and frustration, slowly waking up during it, I realized what was going on and was able to relax and go back to sleep. I didn't hallucinate any shapes or anything, but I did think I heard steps walking around, which was a little scary, considering the situation, before I became aware of what was going on.
Very strange feeling indeed! I can understand why it could be really scary if you don't know the phenomenon and are hallucinating weird things like shapes moving around you. Not surprising more superstitious people think there's aliens or ghosts at play.

Have any of you guys experienced this? If so, how did you feel? Were you scared? Did you see or hear things that weren't there? Did you know about the phenomenon and were you able to realize what was happening? Did it make you scared after it was over with?

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like LadyDay's post
15-02-2017, 10:55 AM
RE: Sleep Paralysis
No I've never had this happen. I can see how it could be very scary though, even if due to natural causes. Could it possibly be a side effect of medication as well? Just asking because I know you were mentioning your meds in another thread.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
15-02-2017, 11:10 AM
Yes, it's happened to me a couple of times, usually as I'm waking up. (Just about every weird sleep thing has happened to me at some point. Sleep is my oldest frenemy) It scared me the first time and then I read up on it, and the next time it didn't feel as bad.

As a kid I used to sleepwalk and occasionally found myself outside of our house in the middle of the night. That was pretty scary to me.

What I really hate about those in-between sleep and waking states is that sudden feeling of falling I get sometimes right as I'm nodding off. And what I really love about them is how slow time seems as I'm waking up--I can have what seems like a half-hour dream in about the minute and a half.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
15-02-2017, 11:21 AM
I've only had one instance where I experienced something like sleep paralysis...I was weaning myself off xanax (my psychiatrist was all too happy to prescribe me more, to the point of dependance).

I woke up in the middle of the night, unable to move, shaking uncontrollably. It took me a few minutes to calm myself down and regain control.

Surprisingly, it didn't scare me either. I think I was too tired to care xD

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
15-02-2017, 11:23 AM
(15-02-2017 10:55 AM)jennybee Wrote:  No I've never had this happen. I can see how it could be very scary though, even if due to natural causes. Could it possibly be a side effect of medication as well? Just asking because I know you were mentioning your meds in another thread.

I don't know if it has anything to do with my meds. Interesting theory. I do know that it's not a very uncommon thing, so it could also just be coincidental. The last years I've also started having lucid dreams a lot. I am aware that I'm dreaming and can "control" the dream. That's quite fun! Unfortunately it's only the good dreams though. I've never had a lucid nightmare.
It's pretty interesting the effects the brain can produce! It's not that odd that it can be misinterpreted, by people who are prone to superstitious thinking, as something supernatural or significant by people who don't know how/that the brain creates these things.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
15-02-2017, 11:25 AM
(15-02-2017 11:23 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 10:55 AM)jennybee Wrote:  No I've never had this happen. I can see how it could be very scary though, even if due to natural causes. Could it possibly be a side effect of medication as well? Just asking because I know you were mentioning your meds in another thread.

I don't know if it has anything to do with my meds. Interesting theory. I do know that it's not a very uncommon thing, so it could also just be coincidental. The last years I've also started having lucid dreams a lot. I am aware that I'm dreaming and can "control" the dream. That's quite fun! Unfortunately it's only the good dreams though. I've never had a lucid nightmare.
It's pretty interesting the effects the brain can produce! It's not that odd that it can be misinterpreted, by people who are prone to superstitious thinking, as something supernatural or significant by people who don't know how/that the brain creates these things.

You might want to look into the side effects of the meds, talk to your doctor, and maybe they can be tweaked a bit, if it is something med-related.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-02-2017, 11:30 AM
(15-02-2017 11:10 AM)julep Wrote:  Yes, it's happened to me a couple of times, usually as I'm waking up. (Just about every weird sleep thing has happened to me at some point. Sleep is my oldest frenemy) It scared me the first time and then I read up on it, and the next time it didn't feel as bad.

As a kid I used to sleepwalk and occasionally found myself outside of our house in the middle of the night. That was pretty scary to me.

What I really hate about those in-between sleep and waking states is that sudden feeling of falling I get sometimes right as I'm nodding off. And what I really love about them is how slow time seems as I'm waking up--I can have what seems like a half-hour dream in about the minute and a half.

I'm happy I didn't get particularly scared, just a bit unsettled.
Sleepwalking and waking up in weird places must be scary! I'd get a heart attack if I woke up outside I think! Big Grin
The feeling of falling I never get. That's supposed to be common too. Happy to not be plagued by that! Do you have that often?
I wonder why some people have more sleep-related phenomena than others.
I enjoy the feeling of slowly waking up too. Great start to the day! Much better than being startled awake by the alarm clock!

15-02-2017, 11:32 AM
(15-02-2017 11:21 AM)Loom Wrote:  I've only had one instance where I experienced something like sleep paralysis...I was weaning myself off xanax (my psychiatrist was all too happy to prescribe me more, to the point of dependance).

I woke up in the middle of the night, unable to move, shaking uncontrollably. It took me a few minutes to calm myself down and regain control.

Surprisingly, it didn't scare me either. I think I was too tired to care xD

Interesting it was related to psychotropic medicine in your case. Since I take a lot of that.

15-02-2017, 11:35 AM
(15-02-2017 11:25 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 11:23 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  I don't know if it has anything to do with my meds. Interesting theory. I do know that it's not a very uncommon thing, so it could also just be coincidental. The last years I've also started having lucid dreams a lot. I am aware that I'm dreaming and can "control" the dream. That's quite fun! Unfortunately it's only the good dreams though. I've never had a lucid nightmare.

You might want to look into the side effects of the meds, talk to your doctor, and maybe they can be tweaked a bit, if it is something med-related.

I haven't just started taking any of my meds though.
Never hurts to be even more aware of potential side effects though, and if it starts happening more than this once I'll definitely talk to my doctor about it. It's probably even a good idea to mention this one instance. All brain-related funnyness is relevant to a psychiatrist I'm sure.
Good idea Smile

15-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Nope; never experienced sleep paralysis, but I know that in its very severest form it can be psychologically disturbing to the point of ongoing paranoia—fear of going to bed, with primary insomnia, and disrupted sleep patterns leading to narcolepsy etc.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.