Sleep Paralysis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2017, 11:55 AM
RE: Sleep Paralysis
(15-02-2017 11:54 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Nope; never experienced sleep paralysis, but I know that in its very severest form it can be psychologically disturbing to the point of ongoing paranoia—fear of going to bed, with primary insomnia, and disrupted sleep patterns leading to narcolepsy etc.

Hopefully that doesn't happen! Gasp

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
15-02-2017, 12:05 PM
It's more likely not med related since you have not had this happen until recently. I know you have been worried about your job lately and stress can cause it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
15-02-2017, 12:10 PM
(15-02-2017 12:05 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  It's more likely not med related since you have not had this happen until recently. I know you have been worried about your job lately and stress can cause it.

That was my conclusion too. That it would have to be a new side effect of meds I have taken for quite a while, so that seems unlikely.
I have been stressing a lot about work lately, so that could be a trigger, however today (i happened towards the end of a four hour nap this afternoon) I've been relaxed/relieved because I now have fewer hours of work.
There is two other possible factors I think though. I'd taken sedative medication. These haven't given that effect before, but I imagine it might be more likely on sedative medications. I also have a b it of a cold and sore throat (hence the extra long nap), and since fewer can affect your dreams, maybe a sore throat can give you sleep paralysis Big Grin

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
15-02-2017, 12:32 PM
I had sleep paralysis a lot when I was younger (when I was 21 - 22), I had hallucinations with a lot of them. Yes, it's very weird, especially as you are actually partly awake, (I could see my alarm clock, hear my mom moving in the house), so a part of my senses gave me real information while the rest were hallucinations, so it's very confusing and scary.
The worst hallucination I had was one of the very first paralysis I had, I woke up, I heard a voice threatening me, I could feel something grabbing my neck, and I couldn't move, couldn't even talk. I remember I tried to insult the voice I heard (not succeeding since I couldn't talk, but at least I tried)
Most of the time, the paralysis happens when you sleep on your back. It happened to me a couple of times while I was sleeping on my stomach, and that was actually the most scary, no auditive hallucinations this time but it felt as is there was a very big weight pressuring my back, and it seemed to last much longer. During those ones I really panicked.
During that period, it happened so often (almost every night), that I was scared to go to sleep in the evening.

I hadn't had any sleep paralysis in years, but I had a new paralysis for the first time 2 days ago (again sleeping on my back). This time I had visual hallucinations.
I woke up again feeling something grabbing me (grabbing my legs), I think I heard a voice, and and when I open my eyes I saw some kind of shadow backing off toward the ground.
I think the grabbing sensation was my brain interpreting wrong signal from the blankets that was too tight around my legs. As for the visual hallucinations,
well maybe my eyes getting accustomed to the dim day light inside the room, it still felt quite weird, I was a bit shaken after waking up.

I think sleep paralysis happen especially when you are extremely tired and stressed. That's why I had them a lot when I was a student. At the moment I'm extremely tired too, I haven't been that tired in years, and my anxiety has been sky high for a while, so that's probably why I had another one for the first time in a while.
[+] 2 users Like Sturm's post
15-02-2017, 12:43 PM
My daughter just posted this article and video about sleep paralysis on FB.
It's done by photographer who recreates pictures based on his nightmares.

The video has audio, so check your volume.

http://www.boredpanda.com/man-sleep-para...production
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
15-02-2017, 12:45 PM
I had it twice, both times many years ago.

The first time I didn't know what it was and had the whole "aliens standing around my bed" thing going on, an insistent buzzing noise in my head and an inability to move. Pretty scary stuff.

Second time I had it some years later I knew what it was and it wasn't frightening, just peculiar.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
15-02-2017, 12:58 PM
(15-02-2017 12:32 PM)Sturm Wrote:  I had sleep paralysis a lot when I was younger (when I was 21 - 22), I had hallucinations with a lot of them. Yes, it's very weird, especially as you are actually partly awake, (I could see my alarm clock, hear my mom moving in the house), so a part of my senses gave me real information while the rest were hallucinations, so it's very confusing and scary.
The worst hallucination I had was one of the very first paralysis I had, I woke up, I heard a voice threatening me, I could feel something grabbing my neck, and I couldn't move, couldn't even talk. I remember I tried to insult the voice I heard (not succeeding since I couldn't talk, but at least I tried)
Most of the time, the paralysis happens when you sleep on your back. It happened to me a couple of times while I was sleeping on my stomach, and that was actually the most scary, no auditive hallucinations this time but it felt as is there was a very big weight pressuring my back, and it seemed to last much longer. During those ones I really panicked.
During that period, it happened so often (almost every night), that I was scared to go to sleep in the evening.

I hadn't had any sleep paralysis in years, but I had a new paralysis for the first time 2 days ago (again sleeping on my back). This time I had visual hallucinations.
I woke up again feeling something grabbing me (grabbing my legs), I think I heard a voice, and and when I open my eyes I saw some kind of shadow backing off toward the ground.
I think the grabbing sensation was my brain interpreting wrong signal from the blankets that was too tight around my legs. As for the visual hallucinations,
well maybe my eyes getting accustomed to the dim day light inside the room, it still felt quite weird, I was a bit shaken after waking up.

I think sleep paralysis happen especially when you are extremely tired and stressed. That's why I had them a lot when I was a student. At the moment I'm extremely tired too, I haven't been that tired in years, and my anxiety has been sky high for a while, so that's probably why I had another one for the first time in a while.

Shit that sounds scary! No matter how much you know that it isn't real, that still has to freak you out!
I hope you get a chance to catch up on sleep so you don't have to go through this all the time!
I was on my side. I could see the room around me, including my cell phone that I tried to reach for. So I assume my eyes were open and I was getting actual visual stimulation.
I wonder why it is possible to open your eyes when the rest of your body is paralyzed.

[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
15-02-2017, 01:05 PM
(15-02-2017 12:43 PM)pablo Wrote:  My daughter just posted this article and video about sleep paralysis on FB.
It's done by photographer who recreates pictures based on his nightmares.

The video has audio, so check your volume.

http://www.boredpanda.com/man-sleep-para...production

Powerful imagery! It's interesting how the mind is somehow awake and dreaming at the same time. So reality and nightmares intermingles.
If I experienced something like what he does while still religious, I'd be sure that I was possessed by demons. Like he did. I can't even begin to imagine the horror of that! Knowing how real and scary demons were to myself even without any such experiences.
Well done of him to work with it like this!

15-02-2017, 01:08 PM
(15-02-2017 12:45 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I had it twice, both times many years ago.

The first time I didn't know what it was and had the whole "aliens standing around my bed" thing going on, an insistent buzzing noise in my head and an inability to move. Pretty scary stuff.

Second time I had it some years later I knew what it was and it wasn't frightening, just peculiar.

I think it made a huge difference to me too that I somehow managed to remember, while in it, that this is a known phenomenon and nothing to be scared off. Even if it was still unsettling, and as you say, peculiar (I love that word).

I really need to learn to quote multiple posts in one reply!

15-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Everybody knows it's alien abduction. Enough with the alternative facts, already. Tongue

Seem to get it once a year or so. One time there was a dude standing over me pointing a shotgun at my head and I overpowered it to get at that fucker. It was the most amazing demonstration of will I ever experienced. That turned it off for years. Big Grin

But it came back - entirely toothless now. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user