Sleep Paralysis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2017, 01:14 PM
RE: Sleep Paralysis
Many times but none recently.

I dream I’m drowning or unable to breathe and I can’t get any of my limbs to function so I can push off the pillow and gasp for air. Horrible, horrible feeling.

I was not on any meds or been drinking when this has happened. Huh

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2017, 01:19 PM
(15-02-2017 01:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Everybody knows it's alien abduction. Enough with the alternative facts, already. Tongue

I do feel like there might be a parasitic alien life form growing in my uterus now, ready to burst out and cause the apocalypse.
And they did stuff to my butt on the UFO. Aliens do that.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
15-02-2017, 01:20 PM
(15-02-2017 01:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Many times but none recently.

I dream I’m drowning or unable to breathe and I can’t get any of my limbs to function so I can push off the pillow and gasp for air. Horrible, horrible feeling.

I was not on any meds or been drinking when this has happened. Huh

*shudder* I'm gonna start having nightmares about having nightmares! Rolleyes

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
15-02-2017, 02:55 PM
(15-02-2017 12:58 PM)LadyDay Wrote:  I wonder why it is possible to open your eyes when the rest of your body is paralyzed.

I never thought about that. Just an idea (didn't search about it so maybe I'm completely wrong). I would say this is because the eyelids movement is controlled by the autonomic nervous system, which is not dependent on your body being awake or not (like breathing, you still breath when you're asleep). So even when your conscious brain isn't in control of your "still alsleep body" and the volontary actions aren't possible, the autonomic nervous system continue to operate, you can breath, open your eyelids, probably blink (the reflex blinking). I would actually be curious to know if you can voluntarily close your eyelids while being paralyzed (if that thought occurs to me next time I'm paralyzed I will try, but I can't promise anything, I would probably be panicking again and not thinking clearly !)
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
15-02-2017, 03:06 PM
(15-02-2017 02:55 PM)Sturm Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 12:58 PM)LadyDay Wrote:  I wonder why it is possible to open your eyes when the rest of your body is paralyzed.

I never thought about that. Just an idea (didn't search about it so maybe I'm completely wrong). I would say this is because the eyelids movement is controlled by the autonomic nervous system, which is not dependent on your body being awake or not (like breathing, you still breath when you're asleep). So even when your conscious brain isn't in control of your "still alsleep body" and the volontary actions aren't possible, the autonomic nervous system continue to operate, you can breath, open your eyelids, probably blink (the reflex blinking). I would actually be curious to know if you can voluntarily close your eyelids while being paralyzed (if that thought occurs to me next time I'm paralyzed I will try, but I can't promise anything, I would probably be panicking again and not thinking clearly !)

That would make sense! You are smart.
And yes, next time you're paralyzed anyway you might as well use the opportunity to do some experiments Big Grin

I hope you get rid of the scary things somehow Hug

[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
15-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Many times, especially in my twenties. Not as much these days. The most recent episode was about two weeks ago. Even though I know what's happening it still scares the shit outta me. I usually see a dark figure standing at the end of the bed. It comes closer and leans over me and I struggle to breathe. Once the whole bed seemed to lift off the ground.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
15-02-2017, 03:37 PM
(15-02-2017 03:06 PM)LadyDay Wrote:  And yes, next time you're paralyzed anyway you might as well use the opportunity to do some experiments Big Grin

I hope you get rid of the scary things somehow Hug

Now I almost wish I'll get another one soon to experiment Big Grin (maybe it would stop me from panicking actually).

Thank you, good luck with your paralysis too, I hope you'll get rid of them Smile (and don't hesitate to experiment in case it happens again Smile )
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
15-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Sleep Paralysis
Ahh. You've experienced the "Old Hag".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like Goosesniper's post
15-02-2017, 05:12 PM
I have some sleep disorders and as a result I experience sleep paralysis/night terrors frequently, at least once per month. As a child, they scared the shit out of me. Some of the strange things I have seen include a clown peaking into my bedroom door, little demons dancing at the foot of my bed, and an enormous feline paw emerging from under my nightstand and scratching at me. Most of the time the hallucinations are strictly auditory and involve the sounds and feeling that someone is breaking into my house to kill me or watching me in a threatening way.

Having plenty of experience with the phenomenon, I usually recognize fairly early on now what is happening and begin the process of waking myself up. Which is to say I start focusing on trying to take deeper and deeper breaths. That is actually pretty hard as the dreams usually include the sensation of suffocating. Sometimes I try to wiggle my nose or alternate smiling and pursing my lips and that helps too. Once I feel like I can pull in sufficient air, I start trying to scream "wake me up!". In my dream I am screaming my head off, what my girlfriend hears is actually more like a high pitched, unintelligible squeak. But she knows what the sound is and wakes me up.

I find it funny now. Most of the time I get a bad case of the giggles once I wake up because it is just funny how scared I felt while simultaneously knowing that I am laying there squeaking and begging for someone to wake me up and how ridiculous it probably seems to an observer.

I am actually to the point where I can, with a decent success rate, induce sleep paralysis. I discovered this while attempting to learn how to induce lucid dreams. I stopped that crazy shit because I almost never entered a lucid dream state (maybe only a few times) and, if anything, usually induced a nasty episode of sleep paralysis. To induce them, I lay on my back with arms crossed on my chest. I focus on being as still as possible and let myself just start to drift off to sleep while thinking about something I want to dream about. As soon as I feel myself starting to drift, I open my eyes and concentrate on the sound of my fan while staring straight up at the ceiling. After a few times of doing this, I won't be able to stop myself from drifting off to sleep but I'll still hear the fan. I have no idea if my eyes are actually open or not, but I can almost always see the ceiling in this state. The sound of the fan usually morphs into something else and even though I try to think about something pleasant, it usually takes on a dark and ominous sound and the dream takes on a life of its own and I have to bail out. It seems like only seconds have passed, but once I wake up I find that more like an hour has passed. It is exhausting. I don't recommend it.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
15-02-2017, 05:35 PM
(15-02-2017 09:38 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Have any of you guys experienced this? If so, how did you feel? Were you scared? Did you see or hear things that weren't there? Did you know about the phenomenon and were you able to realize what was happening? Did it make you scared after it was over with?

I've experienced it before more than once. I'd call it more unsettling than scary. There's a couple of seconds where I know I need to run because God and my limbs won't move. It only last for a few seconds (a few seconds in sleep time, whatever that is in wall clock time) and then I start lucid dreaming.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post