Sleep Paralysis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2017, 05:51 PM
RE: Sleep Paralysis
(15-02-2017 09:38 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Hi guys.

Today I just experienced Sleep Paralysis for the first time. Very odd experience. I'm glad I knew a lot about the phenomenon already, so after a bit of confusion and frustration, slowly waking up during it, I realized what was going on and was able to relax and go back to sleep. I didn't hallucinate any shapes or anything, but I did think I heard steps walking around, which was a little scary, considering the situation, before I became aware of what was going on.
Very strange feeling indeed! I can understand why it could be really scary if you don't know the phenomenon and are hallucinating weird things like shapes moving around you. Not surprising more superstitious people think there's aliens or ghosts at play.

Have any of you guys experienced this? If so, how did you feel? Were you scared? Did you see or hear things that weren't there? Did you know about the phenomenon and were you able to realize what was happening? Did it make you scared after it was over with?

I didn't know about it the first time it happened years ago. Still managed to fall back asleep. The second time it happened I realized what it was and fell back asleep again. I saw some dark shadowy shape out of the corner of my eye and thought I was hearing a door slamming open and shut. Pretty scary stuff!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
16-02-2017, 03:26 AM
(15-02-2017 03:12 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Many times, especially in my twenties. Not as much these days. The most recent episode was about two weeks ago. Even though I know what's happening it still scares the shit outta me. I usually see a dark figure standing at the end of the bed. It comes closer and leans over me and I struggle to breathe. Once the whole bed seemed to lift off the ground.

Yikes. It's some very primal fears is touches on. Build into your brain by evolution. So it's no wonder it keeps being scary!

(15-02-2017 03:37 PM)Sturm Wrote:  Now I almost wish I'll get another one soon to experiment Big Grin (maybe it would stop me from panicking actually).

Thank you, good luck with your paralysis too, I hope you'll get rid of them Smile (and don't hesitate to experiment in case it happens again Smile )

Let me know your results Big Grin

(15-02-2017 05:12 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I have some sleep disorders and as a result I experience sleep paralysis/night terrors frequently, at least once per month. As a child, they scared the shit out of me. Some of the strange things I have seen include a clown peaking into my bedroom door, little demons dancing at the foot of my bed, and an enormous feline paw emerging from under my nightstand and scratching at me. Most of the time the hallucinations are strictly auditory and involve the sounds and feeling that someone is breaking into my house to kill me or watching me in a threatening way.

Having plenty of experience with the phenomenon, I usually recognize fairly early on now what is happening and begin the process of waking myself up. Which is to say I start focusing on trying to take deeper and deeper breaths. That is actually pretty hard as the dreams usually include the sensation of suffocating. Sometimes I try to wiggle my nose or alternate smiling and pursing my lips and that helps too. Once I feel like I can pull in sufficient air, I start trying to scream "wake me up!". In my dream I am screaming my head off, what my girlfriend hears is actually more like a high pitched, unintelligible squeak. But she knows what the sound is and wakes me up.

I find it funny now. Most of the time I get a bad case of the giggles once I wake up because it is just funny how scared I felt while simultaneously knowing that I am laying there squeaking and begging for someone to wake me up and how ridiculous it probably seems to an observer.

I am actually to the point where I can, with a decent success rate, induce sleep paralysis. I discovered this while attempting to learn how to induce lucid dreams. I stopped that crazy shit because I almost never entered a lucid dream state (maybe only a few times) and, if anything, usually induced a nasty episode of sleep paralysis. To induce them, I lay on my back with arms crossed on my chest. I focus on being as still as possible and let myself just start to drift off to sleep while thinking about something I want to dream about. As soon as I feel myself starting to drift, I open my eyes and concentrate on the sound of my fan while staring straight up at the ceiling. After a few times of doing this, I won't be able to stop myself from drifting off to sleep but I'll still hear the fan. I have no idea if my eyes are actually open or not, but I can almost always see the ceiling in this state. The sound of the fan usually morphs into something else and even though I try to think about something pleasant, it usually takes on a dark and ominous sound and the dream takes on a life of its own and I have to bail out. It seems like only seconds have passed, but once I wake up I find that more like an hour has passed. It is exhausting. I don't recommend it.

Wow, that's quite something! Has it made you scared of going to sleep? Do you usually get to sleep normally or do you have odd sleep patterns? Do you sleep walk or otherwise physically act out dreams?
I'm curious Rolleyes

(15-02-2017 05:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've experienced it before more than once. I'd call it more unsettling than scary. There's a couple of seconds where I know I need to run because God and my limbs won't move. It only last for a few seconds (a few seconds in sleep time, whatever that is in wall clock time) and then I start lucid dreaming.

Do you ever get "negative" lucid dreaming? Like something scary or stressful? I always have nice lucid dreams. When I have nightmares I have no idea I'm dreaming.

(15-02-2017 05:51 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I didn't know about it the first time it happened years ago. Still managed to fall back asleep. The second time it happened I realized what it was and fell back asleep again. I saw some dark shadowy shape out of the corner of my eye and thought I was hearing a door slamming open and shut. Pretty scary stuff!

It's interesting that there's such common themes to the hallucinations. The dark figures/shadows. I wonder if it's just because we've evolved a basic fear of things lurking in the dark or if it has something to do with our eyes or what it is.
Or maybe it's just demons and aliens.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
16-02-2017, 07:41 AM
I've experienced it only once. I got in trouble in the Army and had to pull "barracks guard" duty for a week straight. This was essentially a made up post in order to punish myself and two other guys for a VERY minor incident that was erroneously confused with criminal activity running rampant in the barracks at the time (early 2000s). Basically, we had to each take turns patrolling the barracks in full battle garb all night until it was morning. And we were still expected to perform our regular duties (including exercise) during the day. The three of us secretly decided to pull one four hour shift a piece instead a couple of two hour shifts. This way we would all get about four hours of sleep.

But staying up night and day started to get to me. I began to see shadows jump from one hallway to the next while walking through the barracks. But one night I was so painfully tired that I decided to break the rules and lay down on my bed (during my shift) to rest for a second. I closed my eyes and then began to hear the squeaky elevator making a strange thumping noise as it got closer and closer to my floor. The weird thing was that my barracks had no elevator. I heard the elevator doors open, but I did not see anything. Then I felt a great weight on my chest and heard very evil laughter. I could not move my entire body at all during this time. Then, all of sudden, I gained mobility again and sat up from my bed. A religious person would chalk this up to an attempted possession. I took it for what it was, sleep paralysis.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2017, 09:03 AM
(16-02-2017 03:26 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 05:12 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I have some sleep disorders and as a result I experience sleep paralysis/night terrors frequently, at least once per month. As a child, they scared the shit out of me. Some of the strange things I have seen include a clown peaking into my bedroom door, little demons dancing at the foot of my bed, and an enormous feline paw emerging from under my nightstand and scratching at me. Most of the time the hallucinations are strictly auditory and involve the sounds and feeling that someone is breaking into my house to kill me or watching me in a threatening way.

Having plenty of experience with the phenomenon, I usually recognize fairly early on now what is happening and begin the process of waking myself up. Which is to say I start focusing on trying to take deeper and deeper breaths. That is actually pretty hard as the dreams usually include the sensation of suffocating. Sometimes I try to wiggle my nose or alternate smiling and pursing my lips and that helps too. Once I feel like I can pull in sufficient air, I start trying to scream "wake me up!". In my dream I am screaming my head off, what my girlfriend hears is actually more like a high pitched, unintelligible squeak. But she knows what the sound is and wakes me up.

I find it funny now. Most of the time I get a bad case of the giggles once I wake up because it is just funny how scared I felt while simultaneously knowing that I am laying there squeaking and begging for someone to wake me up and how ridiculous it probably seems to an observer.

I am actually to the point where I can, with a decent success rate, induce sleep paralysis. I discovered this while attempting to learn how to induce lucid dreams. I stopped that crazy shit because I almost never entered a lucid dream state (maybe only a few times) and, if anything, usually induced a nasty episode of sleep paralysis. To induce them, I lay on my back with arms crossed on my chest. I focus on being as still as possible and let myself just start to drift off to sleep while thinking about something I want to dream about. As soon as I feel myself starting to drift, I open my eyes and concentrate on the sound of my fan while staring straight up at the ceiling. After a few times of doing this, I won't be able to stop myself from drifting off to sleep but I'll still hear the fan. I have no idea if my eyes are actually open or not, but I can almost always see the ceiling in this state. The sound of the fan usually morphs into something else and even though I try to think about something pleasant, it usually takes on a dark and ominous sound and the dream takes on a life of its own and I have to bail out. It seems like only seconds have passed, but once I wake up I find that more like an hour has passed. It is exhausting. I don't recommend it.

Wow, that's quite something! Has it made you scared of going to sleep? Do you usually get to sleep normally or do you have odd sleep patterns? Do you sleep walk or otherwise physically act out dreams?
I'm curious Rolleyes

When I was a child, it did scare me and I think this may have contributed to the development of chronic insomnia that I still struggle with today.

I often go to bed exhausted and yet find myself unable to go to sleep. Ironically, in the middle of the day if I get still and quiet, I can drift off and hit REM sleep in about 7 minutes.

I don't sleep walk or anything. Though occasionally I have been known to wake myself up laughing, presumably at some humorous dream though I rarely remember it.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
16-02-2017, 01:30 PM

Today I just experienced Sleep Paralysis for the first time. Very odd experience. I'm glad I knew a lot about the phenomenon already, so after a bit of confusion and frustration, slowly waking up during it, I realized what was going on and was able to relax and go back to sleep. I didn't hallucinate any shapes or anything, but I did think I heard steps walking around, which was a little scary, considering the situation, before I became aware of what was going on.
Very strange feeling indeed! I can understand why it could be really scary if you don't know the phenomenon and are hallucinating weird things like shapes moving around you. Not surprising more superstitious people think there's aliens or ghosts at play.

Have any of you guys experienced this? If so, how did you feel? Were you scared? Did you see or hear things that weren't there? Did you know about the phenomenon and were you able to realize what was happening? Did it make you scared after it was over with?

I experienced this several times as a young kid, but not at all since then. During those times, my eyes were open and I was looking at my actual room. On one occasion, there was a weird cartoon-like man flitting about my room. On others, there were realistic looking people or monsters; one person spoke directly to me and threatened me. All of these ended when I screamed out in fright and finally broke the paralysis. Those were my worst nightmares as a kid and I spent the rest of those nights between my parents in their bed. Laugh out load

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
27-03-2017, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2017 05:12 PM by Jack Hammer.)

I've been dealing with that since I was 18. I've heard footsteps several times and then some. If you let go of the fear and go with it watch out, you can go out of your body. I've had hundreds of OBE'S and most of them are scary, especially when the vibes first begin. If you have an OBE on the first plane, those are usually pretty cool. If you go up the cord to the next...WOW! And NO! I don't do drugs! Well, a little weed maybe.

I've been to pastors, who labelled them demonic, and psychiatrist who label them hallucinations. The best people to talk to about them are parapsychologist. If you don't mind the religious aspect of OBE'S, the Rosicrucians are well informed about that too and will tell you it's a blessing.
The best author on this is Robert Monroe. He has since died but has several youtube videos on it. Sleep paralysis is the beginning stage of an OBE.
27-03-2017, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2017 11:38 PM by unsapien.)
(27-03-2017 05:08 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  

I've been dealing with that since I was 18. I've heard footsteps several times and then some. If you let go of the fear and go with it watch out, you can go out of your body. I've had hundreds of OBE'S and most of them are scary, especially when the vibes first begin. If you have an OBE on the first plane, those are usually pretty cool. If you go up the cord to the next...WOW! And NO! I don't do drugs! Well, a little weed maybe.

I've been to pastors, who labelled them demonic, and psychiatrist who label them hallucinations. The best people to talk to about them are parapsychologist. If you don't mind the religious aspect of OBE'S, the Rosicrucians are well informed about that too and will tell you it's a blessing.
The best author on this is Robert Monroe. He has since died but has several youtube videos on it. Sleep paralysis is the beginning stage of an OBE.

Robert Monroe... I have two of his books, Journey out of the body and Far Journeys. If you strip away the new age silliness, the meditation techniques in his books were quiet helpful in learning to meditate and lucid dream.

Sleep paralysis is normal, actually it's pretty much necessary, otherwise you would be sleep walking and acting out your dreams IRL, most people just aren't conscious when it happens, scared the shit out of me the first couple of times I was awake going through it. I've OBE'ed (heavy emphasis on the E ("experience", think simulate) about a half a dozen times (in my experience an OBE is a special, very different, kind of lucid dream, I lucid dream almost every night) in my life, fantastic feeling though...

Might warrant a new thread... Consider

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
27-03-2017, 11:54 PM
(15-02-2017 11:30 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(15-02-2017 11:10 AM)julep Wrote:  Yes, it's happened to me a couple of times, usually as I'm waking up. (Just about every weird sleep thing has happened to me at some point. Sleep is my oldest frenemy) It scared me the first time and then I read up on it, and the next time it didn't feel as bad.

As a kid I used to sleepwalk and occasionally found myself outside of our house in the middle of the night. That was pretty scary to me.

What I really hate about those in-between sleep and waking states is that sudden feeling of falling I get sometimes right as I'm nodding off. And what I really love about them is how slow time seems as I'm waking up--I can have what seems like a half-hour dream in about the minute and a half.

I'm happy I didn't get particularly scared, just a bit unsettled.
Sleepwalking and waking up in weird places must be scary! I'd get a heart attack if I woke up outside I think! Big Grin
The feeling of falling I never get. That's supposed to be common too. Happy to not be plagued by that! Do you have that often?
I wonder why some people have more sleep-related phenomena than others.
I enjoy the feeling of slowly waking up too. Great start to the day! Much better than being startled awake by the alarm clock!

I think feeling of falling is part of the sleep paralysis, your brain is not getting any sensory input from your body, it interprets this as "weightlessness". The only normal situation where your brain would feel "weightless" is when falling.

People used to say (they might still for all I know) that if you have a dream about falling, if you don't wake up you'll die... The truth is probably more like "you feel like your falling BECAUSE your waking up."

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
28-03-2017, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2017 09:14 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(27-03-2017 11:31 PM)unsapien Wrote:  Sleep paralysis is normal, actually it's pretty much necessary, otherwise you would be sleep walking and acting out your dreams IRL, most people just aren't conscious when it happens, scared the shit out of me the first couple of times I was awake going through it. I've OBE'ed (heavy emphasis on the E ("experience", think simulate) about a half a dozen times (in my experience an OBE is a special, very different, kind of lucid dream, I lucid dream almost every night) in my life, fantastic feeling though...

Might warrant a new thread... Consider

I would happily contribute to a discussion on lucid dreaming.

My wife was a natural lucid dreamer from an early age who also learned that her OBEs could be varieties of lucid dreams. The dual perception of your body lying in bed and of your dream body when you start dreaming are what causes them according to her. The rest of the details are elaborations. She used her OBE sensations to have what she called "local lucids", which means she realized she was dreaming and wandered around her dream neighborhood, often by climbing out her second story bedroom window. She looked for specific celebrities in nearby buildings and carried on quite a soap opera from night to night.

Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
28-03-2017, 07:00 AM
(28-03-2017 03:57 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  I would happily contribute to a discussion on lucid dreaming.

My wife was a natural lucid dreamer from an early age who also learned that her OBEs could be varieties of lucid dreams. The dual perception of your body lying in bed and of your dream body when you start dreaming are what causes them according to her. The rest of the details are elaborations. She used her OBE sensations to have what she called "local lucids", which means she realized she was dreaming and wandered around her dream neighborhood, often by climbing out her second story window. She looked for specific celebrities in nearby buildings and carried on quite a soap opera from night to night.

Sleepy

I've been lucid dreaming since about 11 years old. Think I'll start a thread about it when I get home tonight, part practical guide for anyone that wants to try it, and part about the idea of exploring inside your mind.

After all we spend almost a 3rd of our lives asleep, I think people would be curious about what might be going on in their heads all that time.

A friend in the hole

[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post