Sleep Paralysis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2017, 07:29 AM
RE: Sleep Paralysis
It's really incredible what experiences the brain can produce. It makes sense that people in the "good ol' days" would come up with supernatural ways of explaining such odd things.

For the last couple of years I've been lucid dreaming a lot too. I'm 30 years old, so this is relatively recently. And I've generally just having incredibly detailed dreams. Last night I moved into a huge magical house with my family. The house kept growing, adding new rooms and corridors. It was full of amazing details. It was near London. I went flying around central London with a friend I made. We fought magical "electrical" apparitions, using some gorgeous, mysterious jewelry she gave me, that weighed a lot more than it looked like it would, as magical weapons.
And we enjoyed all the amazing architecture, studying the parliament from all sides.

Normally I travel around a beautiful inner world I've constructed. Think Skyrim (the computer game) or Norway. I normally fly around. It has many amazing places that I recognize from time to time.

It is amazing. Seems like my brain can construct much more vivid and creative stories when I'm asleep than when I'm awake.

I never have lucid negative dreams. I have nightmares, usually where I'm chased by members of my family who want to hurt me (in real life they don't, they're lovely, but they are fundamentalist Christians who believe that I'm going to Hell.). Anyway, those are not lucid, but can be quite upsetting.

I wonder what's the reason I've started dreaming like this recently. I haven't done anything consciously to affect how I dream. It just happens. I used to only dream pretty basic and uncomplicated things.
My nightmares used to be about my fish or snakes dying and me desperately trying to save them. Fortunately that stopped. I love my babies Heart

I've never had an out of body experience.

The scary or disturbing things you guys have had while dreaming upsets me. I'm sorry. Dreams affect you in a very intimate way I feel, so scary experiences must be dteeply shaking. I hope you all beat the monsters and fear!

Hug

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
28-03-2017, 08:49 AM
I started having sleep paralysis in my early 20s. I still get it every now and then but the worst episodes were back then.

I can definitely see why before advanced medicine and all that people would think it was demons, ghosts, etc. I heard hissing, weird denomic voices, felt like someone was pushing down on my chest, and yes I even saw the "old hag" and even once I had one of the "out of the body" experiences where I appeared to be watching myself sleep.

Now knowing what it is, it's not scary. I know my brain produced all those issues.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
28-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Only thing close is downing a fifth of tequila and eating a couple ludes...

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-03-2017, 09:18 AM
(28-03-2017 07:29 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Normally I travel around a beautiful inner world I've constructed.

In my regular dreams, I come across such beautiful scenes that I take pictures with my camera to preserve them.

Duh.

Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
28-03-2017, 12:16 PM
(28-03-2017 08:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Only thing close is downing a fifth of tequila and eating a couple ludes...

Smile

I prefer a big Fatty.
28-03-2017, 12:19 PM
(28-03-2017 08:49 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  I started having sleep paralysis in my early 20s. I still get it every now and then but the worst episodes were back then.

I can definitely see why before advanced medicine and all that people would think it was demons, ghosts, etc. I heard hissing, weird denomic voices, felt like someone was pushing down on my chest, and yes I even saw the "old hag" and even once I had one of the "out of the body" experiences where I appeared to be watching myself sleep.

Now knowing what it is, it's not scary. I know my brain produced all those issues.

I've found that the older I get the less the vibes come. I don't think "sleep paralysis is a good term to describe it. It usually happens to me before I fall asleep. I usually hear a 'swish' is my head. Then, if I let it go...so do I!
28-03-2017, 02:33 PM
(28-03-2017 08:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Only thing close is downing a fifth of tequila and eating a couple ludes...

Smile

I'm more of a whisky and wine kind of girl.... But alcohol just makes me sleep like shit.
I'll keep the tequila and quaaludes recipe in the back of my mind, in case I stop having trippy dreams and want them back Big Grin

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
28-03-2017, 04:09 PM
(28-03-2017 02:33 PM)LadyDay Wrote:  

Smile

I'm more of a whisky and wine kind of girl.... But alcohol just makes me sleep like shit.
I'll keep the tequila and quaaludes recipe in the back of my mind, in case I stop having trippy dreams and want them back Big Grin

I've also found that drinking diminishes the vibes. When I was in my 20's, the vibes would hit so hard that my entire spine would sort of tingle. It would feel so good it would hurt. It's difficult to explain, but I would lay awake unable to move trying and trying to snap out of it. Eventually I would. One time I let it go and I'd rather not tell you about it because you likely won't believe me if I told you what happened. I've had hundreds of 1st plane OBE'S that were pretty cool.
29-03-2017, 10:47 AM
One of the tricks I perfected pretty well was after I figured out what it was, I read that if you find yourself "frozen" to start trying to move your fingers and toes and eventually the movement will move "up" your body until you wake yourself up. The first thing I do now when I'm like this is start twitching my feet and my wife even now can tell I'm frozen if I appear to be asleep but my feet are flinching and she'll wake me up.

Also I forgot to add I suffer from sleep apnea. I don't know if there is any real link but I do now many people I've come across with sleep paralysis also suffer from sleep apnea. My sa is structural, I'm not overweight but my poorly designed trachea (shot at the creationists) makes me have it. Both my sleep apnea and sleep paralysis only happen when I'm on my back.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post