Sleep cycle... Gone to shite again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Sleep cycle... Gone to shite again.
I sleep stupid hours now.

Right now its coming up to 4am... I probably won't be going to sleep until about 6:30. Which means I wake up at about 2 or 3pm.

I've tried lots of different approaches to resetting, and getting myself back to something resembling normality, and I always end up drifting back to being up all night, and asleep all day.

Which, as I'm sure you can imagine, can be a pain in the arse.

So, anyone got any advice on getting back to a regular sleep pattern?

I miss daylight... Sad

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2015, 10:01 PM
RE: Sleep cycle... Gone to shite again.
(22-01-2015 09:59 PM)Sam Wrote:  I sleep stupid hours now.

Right now its coming up to 4am... I probably won't be going to sleep until about 6:30. Which means I wake up at about 2 or 3pm.

I've tried lots of different approaches to resetting, and getting myself back to something resembling normality, and I always end up drifting back to being up all night, and asleep all day.

I miss daylight... Sad

Melatonin works but I think it's by script only in the UK. Me, I take like 20 mg/night.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
22-01-2015, 10:12 PM
(22-01-2015 10:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 09:59 PM)Sam Wrote:  I sleep stupid hours now.

I miss daylight... Sad

Melatonin works but I think it's by script only in the UK. Me, I take like 20 mg/night.

I dunno... Sounds like a natural product.

I'll nip down to the pharmacy some time and see what they've got.

My favourite method is to drink lots of beer, go to sleep when I'm drunk, and wake up nice and early needing a piss. Trouble is, next night its back to square one...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2015, 12:13 AM
Tried melatonin once. It just made me drowsy all the time.

The only thing that I've found that works is having a schedule that forces me to be awake during the day. If I don't have something that I have to be up for my sleep patterns just drift.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
23-01-2015, 01:29 AM
(23-01-2015 12:13 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Tried melatonin once. It just made me drowsy all the time.

The only thing that I've found that works is having a schedule that forces me to be awake during the day. If I don't have something that I have to be up for my sleep patterns just drift.

I used to do shift work back when I was young and this was the only way I found to make it work. Works for jetlag too.

Not easy, but unless you force yourself to stick to the clock, not even Melatonin (at least in my experience) will work.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 2 users Like gofish!'s post
23-01-2015, 02:19 AM
3-6mg is a more appropriate dose for someone just starting out taking melatonin; Girly's been at it a while. As far as "natural", it doesn't mean homeopathy. It's a hormone. Not sure about the regulation outside the US. It's the only hormone supplement available over the counter in the US.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
23-01-2015, 02:38 AM
(23-01-2015 02:19 AM)Nurse Wrote:  3-6mg is a more appropriate dose for someone just starting out taking melatonin; Girly's been at it a while. As far as "natural", it doesn't mean homeopathy. It's a hormone. Not sure about the regulation outside the US. It's the only hormone supplement available over the counter in the US.

Sam, I noticed from your profile that you are in Wales. I know melatonin is not available over the counter in England, so there's a good chance it's the same for the Welsh NHS.

You can get Valerian (e.g. Kalms) over the counter so a couple of those may help before bedtime.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
23-01-2015, 04:05 AM
(23-01-2015 02:19 AM)Nurse Wrote:  3-6mg is a more appropriate dose for someone just starting out taking melatonin; Girly's been at it a while. As far as "natural", it doesn't mean homeopathy. It's a hormone. Not sure about the regulation outside the US. It's the only hormone supplement available over the counter in the US.

Available as a supplement here in Canada. Efficacy is as questionable as most supplements. Definitely not homeopathy though. That's a whole other level of quackery. Regardless of what it may or may not do, melatonin actually contains what the bottle says.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
23-01-2015, 05:33 AM
Oh for the days when one gets to choose sleep hours.....

Anyway I'm for the good old fashioned stay up overror a day so you get tired then go to bed at the time you want. Always worked for me.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
23-01-2015, 07:06 AM
If you are watching television before going to bed, there's some studies that show particular frequencies of light (in the blue end of spectrum) are somewhat responsible for setting your body's circadian rhythm. The light from the tv tricks your body into thinking it's daylight. Ditto the light from a computer screen.

Try turning off the tube at least an hour and 1/2 before you go to bed. Read a book, make a few phone calls, whatever....

I hope it helps. I've seen it help others.

Personally, I can go to sleep on cue. In the rain. At an Ozzy Osbourne concert.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post