Sleep cycle... Gone to shite again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2015, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2015 08:16 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
RE: Sleep cycle... Gone to shite again.
(23-01-2015 07:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you are watching television before going to bed, there's some studies that show particular frequencies of light (in the blue end of spectrum) are somewhat responsible for setting your body's circadian rhythm. The light from the tv tricks your body into thinking it's daylight. Ditto the light from a computer screen.

Try turning off the tube at least an hour and 1/2 before you go to bed. Read a book, make a few phone calls, whatever....

I hope it helps. I've seen it help others.

Personally, I can go to sleep on cue. In the rain. At an Ozzy Osbourne concert.
I fell asleep on the back of a motorcycle once. And in a suitcase in a closet in a hotel on spring break in FL- but I think that might have been caused by sleep walking while still drunk.

i agree with everything posted above, melatonin, schedule, turn off screens, regular exercise, even just a ten minute walk outside every morning can help set the pattern.

Alcohol helps some people fall asleep but not stay asleep, studies have shown that it actually makes restful sleep more difficult.

After my Mom died I had a hard time falling asleep, I would be exhausted, lay down and then be flooded with all sorts of emotions of grief. I couldnt shut my brain down to just rest. Half a tab of Ambien (prescription) was enough for me to fall asleep quickly. It seemed once I was asleep, I would stay asleep. In the morning I would wake refreshed (rather than exhausted) and it helped to feel much better so I could move forward in processing all of those emotions and changes in my life.

My youngest daughter has trouble with her iron levels, when they get low she cant sleep. Had sleep studies done on her, blood work, etc. I know another Mom had the same thing with an infant.

Some things to consider...

once you fall asleep, do you stay asleep?
do you wake refreshed? or exhausted?
is your lifestyle pretty healthy? or are your waking habits the reason?
is there a major stress in your life on your mind?
do you get enough iron? (red meat, dark green veggies)

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
23-01-2015, 08:17 AM
(22-01-2015 09:59 PM)Sam Wrote:  Right now its coming up to 4am... I probably won't be going to sleep until about 6:30. Which means I wake up at about 2 or 3pm.

I'm jealous; that's pretty close to my preferred sleep schedule.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
23-01-2015, 08:24 AM
also wanted to add there are some relaxation techniques you can try too, but a big one for me is just the environment. It has to be DARK and COLD for me to sleep. I like a freezing room with 2 heavy blankets, year round. If its warm - I won't sleep. And my body likes the weight of the blankets. Its a sensory thing. And I have to have my memory foam pillow. And the bed has to be firm. The princess and the pea, yep, thats me. Blush

Drop the temp down at night, it should help.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
23-01-2015, 10:14 AM
(23-01-2015 02:38 AM)gofish! Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 02:19 AM)Nurse Wrote:  3-6mg is a more appropriate dose for someone just starting out taking melatonin; Girly's been at it a while. As far as "natural", it doesn't mean homeopathy. It's a hormone. Not sure about the regulation outside the US. It's the only hormone supplement available over the counter in the US.

Sam, I noticed from your profile that you are in Wales. I know melatonin is not available over the counter in England, so there's a good chance it's the same for the Welsh NHS.

You can get Valerian (e.g. Kalms) over the counter so a couple of those may help before bedtime.

Actually, a prescription would be handy, because I could get it free here.

The problem isn't insomnia though... When I'm tired, I sleep with no trouble at all, it's just the hours that I'm ready for sleep are when most people are getting up.

Each time I oversleep, it pushes my bedtime on another hour or so. Until I get into a ridiculous pattern.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2015, 10:18 AM
(23-01-2015 08:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 09:59 PM)Sam Wrote:  Right now its coming up to 4am... I probably won't be going to sleep until about 6:30. Which means I wake up at about 2 or 3pm.

I'm jealous; that's pretty close to my preferred sleep schedule.

I don't really hate it... I quite like the night time, it just makes it difficult to plan anything, because I probably won't be awake to do it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2015, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 03:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-01-2015 02:19 AM)Nurse Wrote:  3-6mg is a more appropriate dose for someone just starting out taking melatonin; Girly's been at it a while. As far as "natural", it doesn't mean homeopathy. It's a hormone. Not sure about the regulation outside the US. It's the only hormone supplement available over the counter in the US.

DHEA is also OTC in the US. Think there are a couple other OTC hormones as well. Lemme look it up.

Melatonin, like cannabis, has no known LD50 and high doses may have a therapeutic effect for a variety of ailments. Clinical trials are underway. I don't notice any difference between 3 mg and 20. So I take 20 (sometimes 40).

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
24-01-2015, 03:02 PM
(23-01-2015 08:12 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  After my Mom died I had a hard time falling asleep, I would be exhausted, lay down and then be flooded with all sorts of emotions of grief. I couldnt shut my brain down to just rest.

That is the hell that is insomnia.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post