Sleep deprivation and it's effects on the brain-a refutation of dualism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Sleep deprivation and it's effects on the brain-a refutation of dualism
Thought this was interesting, there are a host of effects that affect the brains function during sleep deprivation. This is something that we all experience, every time we experience sleep deprivation, we encounter these effects first hand. Most of the time this is harmless and can be easily remedied by getting sleep.

When we don't give our brains the physical requirement of sleep, we can experience all of these effects:

Sleep Deprivation

aching muscles
confusion, memory lapses or loss
depression
development of false memory
hallucinations
hand tremor
headaches
malaise
stye
periorbital puffiness, commonly known as "bags under eyes" or eye bags
increased blood pressure
increased stress hormone levels
increased risk of diabetes
increased risk of fibromyalgia
irritability
nystagmus (rapid involuntary rhythmic eye movement)
obesity
seizures
temper tantrums in children
yawning
mania
symptoms similar to:
attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
psychosis

Think of all of these effects, and it's all physically generated, if we had a "soul" external from our brain, it wouldn't be affected so drastically by such natural things.

Shouldn't we be able to occasionally see fully conscious people like the T1000 walking around if the soul or consciousness were separate from our brain?

[Image: t-1000.jpg]

Sleep deprivation is a common experience that validates the physical nature of our mind.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
01-03-2015, 10:33 AM
RE: Sleep deprivation and it's effects on the brain-a refutation of dualism
Some years back I (stupidly) tried to rekindle an old flame. It soon became apparent that the things that drove me away from him were not only still there but were worse. He packed up, drove across country and appeared on my doorstep. When it became apparent that this wasn't going to work out I couldn't get him to leave. In fact he was determined to stay, no matter what. I had three kids and two jobs and was already running on a hamster wheel to stay afloat.

He would let me sleep for about an hour and then wake me up, repeating this all night long. Days turned into weeks of this and it took it's toll. I was losing weight, my dark circles had dark circles and I was apt to fall asleep in the bath tub or while driving. When I finally got him out of the house he would call or show up at all hours. He then went to my boss and told him I was a drug abuser in an attempt to get me fired - apparently so I would need him and would let him back into my life.

Luckily for me, my boss listened when I told him what was going on. He then said that sleep deprivation was a form of torture and I showed all the symptoms of someone suffering from it. I will never know what he did or how he did it, but my boss got the guy not only out of my life but out of the state.

It took months for me to get back to my usual self. That was a really dark time in my life - I am forever thankful that my boss helped me. I doubt I could have kept going much longer without his stepping in.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
01-03-2015, 10:45 AM
(01-03-2015 10:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Some years back I (stupidly) tried to rekindle an old flame. It soon became apparent that the things that drove me away from him were not only still there but were worse. He packed up, drove across country and appeared on my doorstep. When it became apparent that this wasn't going to work out I couldn't get him to leave. In fact he was determined to stay, no matter what. I had three kids and two jobs and was already running on a hamster wheel to stay afloat.

He would let me sleep for about an hour and then wake me up, repeating this all night long. Days turned into weeks of this and it took it's toll. I was losing weight, my dark circles had dark circles and I was apt to fall asleep in the bath tub or while driving. When I finally got him out of the house he would call or show up at all hours. He then went to my boss and told him I was a drug abuser in an attempt to get me fired - apparently so I would need him and would let him back into my life.

Luckily for me, my boss listened when I told him what was going on. He then said that sleep deprivation was a form of torture and I showed all the symptoms of someone suffering from it. I will never know what he did or how he did it, but my boss got the guy not only out of my life but out of the state.

It took months for me to get back to my usual self. That was a really dark time in my life - I am forever thankful that my boss helped me. I doubt I could have kept going much longer without his stepping in.

Damn Anj, that is a nightmare of a story!

Your boss probably called Winston “The Wolf” Wolfe (played by Harvey Keitel), in the film Pulp Fiction (1994).

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-03-2015, 10:48 AM
(01-03-2015 10:45 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 10:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Some years back I (stupidly) tried to rekindle an old flame. It soon became apparent that the things that drove me away from him were not only still there but were worse. He packed up, drove across country and appeared on my doorstep. When it became apparent that this wasn't going to work out I couldn't get him to leave. In fact he was determined to stay, no matter what. I had three kids and two jobs and was already running on a hamster wheel to stay afloat.

Damn Anj, that is a nightmare of a story!

Your boss probably called Winston “The Wolf” Wolfe (played by Harvey Keitel), in the film Pulp Fiction (1994).

Let's just say that Bud could be quite persuasive.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
01-03-2015, 12:46 PM
When I don't get enough sleep I have gran-mal seizures.
Sleep deprivation is the #2 cause of epileptics having recurring or 'breakout' seizures. (#1is not taking meds)
If my mind (soul) were a separate entity from my brain, I should not experience memory loss both long and short term.
My 'soul' would remember everything.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
01-03-2015, 03:09 PM
(01-03-2015 10:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Some years back I (stupidly) tried to rekindle an old flame.

I "liked" your post only because I actually disliked what happened to you. I was nearly in the same boat a few years. Rekindling old flames usually ends in misery. There are exceptions, but...

Edited to add: give your boss a big hug if you haven't already done so.
01-03-2015, 03:12 PM
(01-03-2015 03:09 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 10:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Some years back I (stupidly) tried to rekindle an old flame.

I "liked" your post only because I actually disliked what happened to you. I was nearly in the same boat a few years. Rekindling old flames usually ends in misery. There are exceptions, but...

There is usually a reason that someone is an ex. We sometimes have a tendency to remember the good and gloss over the bad, to our detriment most times.

This guy caused other problems from afar for several years. Nearly causing me to lose my kids among other things.

He died a couple years ago. I no longer look over my shoulder.

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
01-03-2015, 04:41 PM
When my children were babies they simply didn't sleep through the night. I tried every method to get them asleep but it didn't seem to matter what I did, they were awake in the middle of the night. My lack of sleep became so dire that I started to hallucinate and what's even worse is that my driving suffered. My response to traffic situations were very slow so I avoided driving. Fortunately babies grow a little older and start sleeping better, but damn, there were times I thought I'd go crazy.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
01-03-2015, 06:46 PM
I went 5 days without sleep 3 years ago and actually considered suicide seriously. In my experience, there's nothing worse. My partner plus sleeping pills saved me. I am an insomniac and know that sometimes we feel as if we haven't had any sleep, but have really. That time 3 years ago I knew that I really hadn't slept at all.

Wide of the Mark agrees that animals change over time but thinks evolution is false. Facepalm
01-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Whenever I can't be arsed sleeping, I generally just get the shakes and feel a bit shit... But then I don't often go more than 24 hours.

I have had false memory... I gave my cat a smokey bacon crisp while extremely tired (or drunk, can't remember), and next day remembered it as if weeks had passed.

How long would I need to go without sleep to write a masterpiece of Psychedelic Rock?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user