Sleeping Disorders

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Sleeping Disorders
These are something I have only heard of vaguely by name. However, I need to get educated as much as possible and FAST!!!
My three year old boy has been showing a lot of signs for Sleep Apnea and is going to be doing a sleep study in the nearing future. Just got to get the doctor's referrals which is only days away as we are waiting on the report from ENMRSH to show to his pediatrician.
I have done some reading, and am planning on doing a lot more.
Does anyone know anything of Sleep Apnea? Insomnia? Night Terrors? Maybe even other sleeping disorders that I might want to be made aware of just in case. There is family history here that my hubby and I were not aware of until recently and want as much information as we can possibly get as sleep anymore now days is basically nonexistant.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2012, 08:26 PM
RE: Sleeping Disorders
My oldest had night terrors for a while and so did the rest of us because of it.

She would be screaming and running around her room, seemingly awake, but she wasn't. This happened when she was about 6 and lasted several months. She didn't ever remember the incidents and didn't mention bad dreams but it was awful.

Insomnia is my companion sometimes, sleep just won't come no matter what I do. I have learned to give in to it.

From what I understand Sleep Apnea is a when breathing stops for a second and a person wakes up because of it. It causes very restless nights and no feeling of being rested. I didn't realize kids could have it. You usually hear about it in adults, especially people who are overweight.

I am sure your doctor will have more info for you once the tests are in.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-03-2012, 08:28 PM
I have a fair amount of experience with insomnia and sleep apnea. Untreated they both suck. Apnea, which is the temporary closing of your airway long enough to wake your brain up to start breathing, but not enough that you actually come awake. But you generally don't get to have much REM sleep so you wake up exhausted and barely functioning all day. So my Dr. referred me to a sleep clinic. I had to spend the night hooked up to all sorts of wires and diodes. Now I get to sleep with a CPAP machine which forces just the right amount air through my airways so I don't wake up as much. But it's tough for me to sleep with a hose attached to my face so I'm not sure if I'm benefitting or not as I'm still tired in the morning. Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
29-03-2012, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 08:35 PM by AnotherSinner.)
(29-03-2012 08:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I have a fair amount of experience with insomnia and sleep apnea. Untreated they both suck. Apnea, which is the temporary closing of your airway long enough to wake your brain up to start breathing, but not enough that you actually come awake. But you generally don't get to have much REM sleep so you wake up exhausted and barely functioning all day. So my Dr. referred me to a sleep clinic. I had to spend the night hooked up to all sorts of wires and diodes. Now I get to sleep with a CPAP machine which forces just the right amount air through my airways so I don't wake up as much. But it's tough for me to sleep with a hose attached to my face so I'm not sure if I'm benefitting or not as I'm still tired in the morning. Confused

How long have you been on it? Was a bit curious about the CPAP. Read a little, but did not go as far as to look into the actual machine....how am I going to keep that on my three year old? Oye....nights now are hard, going to get a lot worse before it gets better obviously. From what I have read it can be caused by large uvula, tonsils, or adenoids in children. Sure it is the tonsils...he has fought with strep a lot.
29-03-2012, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 09:00 PM by Erxomai.)
(29-03-2012 08:32 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  
(29-03-2012 08:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I have a fair amount of experience with insomnia and sleep apnea. Untreated they both suck. Apnea, which is the temporary closing of your airway long enough to wake your brain up to start breathing, but not enough that you actually come awake. But you generally don't get to have much REM sleep so you wake up exhausted and barely functioning all day. So my Dr. referred me to a sleep clinic. I had to spend the night hooked up to all sorts of wires and diodes. Now I get to sleep with a CPAP machine which forces just the right amount air through my airways so I don't wake up as much. But it's tough for me to sleep with a hose attached to my face so I'm not sure if I'm benefitting or not as I'm still tired in the morning. Confused

How long have you been on it? Was a bit curious about the CPAP. Read a little, but did not go as far as to look into the actual machine....how am I going to keep that on my three year old? Oye....nights now are hard, going to get a lot worse before it gets better obviously. From what I have read it can be caused by large uvula, tonsils, or adenoids in children. Sure it is the tonsils...he has fought with strep a lot.

It's been just a month. I don't think I've had more than 1 or 2 nights that I could sleep through the night with the mask on. A couple of times I even started having weird panicky claustrophobic feelings, but my previous life has caused a lot of nice little scars to deal with. My brother, stepdad, and a couple of co-workers have slept with a CPAP for years and have no issues with it at all, so I'm not giving up on it. I really couldn't say how a 3 year old would handle it. I would think it would be rather problematic.

But yes, you've hit on causes: the sleep doctor said it was too bad I hadn't had my tonsils out as a kid...meaning I probably wouldn't have the condition. But I'm also overweight and that's a huge (pardon the pun) contributing factor. I'll try to find the thread where I talked more about it.

Ah, yes. Here it is. Complete with a picture.
Oh the memories...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ded?page=2

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
29-03-2012, 09:22 PM
(29-03-2012 08:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(29-03-2012 08:32 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  How long have you been on it? Was a bit curious about the CPAP. Read a little, but did not go as far as to look into the actual machine....how am I going to keep that on my three year old? Oye....nights now are hard, going to get a lot worse before it gets better obviously. From what I have read it can be caused by large uvula, tonsils, or adenoids in children. Sure it is the tonsils...he has fought with strep a lot.

It's been just a month. I don't think I've had more than 1 or 2 nights that I could sleep through the night with the mask on. A couple of times I even started having weird panicky claustrophobic feelings, but my previous life has caused a lot of nice little scars to deal with. My brother, stepdad, and a couple of co-workers have slept with a CPAP for years and have no issues with it at all, so I'm not giving up on it. I really couldn't say how a 3 year old would handle it. I would think it would be rather problematic.

But yes, you've hit on causes: the sleep doctor said it was too bad I hadn't had my tonsils out as a kid...meaning I probably wouldn't have the condition. But I'm also overweight and that's a huge (pardon the pun) contributing factor. I'll try to find the thread where I talked more about it.

Ah, yes. Here it is. Complete with a picture.
Oh the memories...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ded?page=2
Thanks. Gives me some insight.
29-03-2012, 09:22 PM
(29-03-2012 08:06 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  These are something I have only heard of vaguely by name. However, I need to get educated as much as possible and FAST!!!
My three year old boy has been showing a lot of signs for Sleep Apnea and is going to be doing a sleep study in the nearing future. Just got to get the doctor's referrals which is only days away as we are waiting on the report from ENMRSH to show to his pediatrician.
I have done some reading, and am planning on doing a lot more.
Does anyone know anything of Sleep Apnea? Insomnia? Night Terrors? Maybe even other sleeping disorders that I might want to be made aware of just in case. There is family history here that my hubby and I were not aware of until recently and want as much information as we can possibly get as sleep anymore now days is basically nonexistant.
Maybe you shouldn't give your kid candy before he goes to sleep? As for night terrors? I always thought that meant nightmares.
29-03-2012, 09:26 PM
29-03-2012, 09:41 PM
What Erx said. One of my friends is a nurse, and she was given a CPAP, and she HATES it, and tends to not wear it.

The Night Terrors are a totally separate issue from Sleep Apnea. Is your child over-weight ? If so, that can be fixed, maybe. You might want to ask them to put a portable, (around the neck) cardiac monitor on him for a night, just for a look-see, at what is happening. (They probably do that during a sleep study anyway). If he has an arrhythmia, it can explain the apnea. Many kids just grow out of it. There are alarms available to wake him up, if it lasts longer than a certain number of seconds..they set it by prescription. If your family has a history of big tonsils/adenoids, they can come out, easily....http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/childapnea.html

I know nothing about the terrors issue.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-03-2012, 10:10 PM
(29-03-2012 09:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What Erx said. One of my friends is a nurse, and she was given a CPAP, and she HATES it, and tends to not wear it.

The Night Terrors are a totally separate issue from Sleep Apnea. Is your child over-weight ? If so, that can be fixed, maybe. You might want to ask them to put a portable, (around the neck) cardiac monitor on him for a night, just for a look-see, at what is happening. (They probably do that during a sleep study anyway). If he has an arrhythmia, it can explain the apnea. Many kids just grow out of it. There are alarms available to wake him up, if it lasts longer than a certain number of seconds..they set it by prescription. If your family has a history of big tonsils/adenoids, they can come out, easily....http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/childapnea.html

I know nothing about the terrors issue.
His daddy had tonsils that were removed when he was six. My little guy too has had several episodes of Strep. Then a bacterial infection within his tonsils that got him sent to the E.R. In short...his first three years have been nothing but endless trials for him. We are assuming he is more or less waking up terrified due to the ceasing of breath and gasping that tends to follow. It is scary enough as an adult...but as a toddler...that must be nothing short of instant panic attack.
Not really sure of anything beyond the Sleep Apnea which is already subject of suspicion at this time.
Which begs the question...if they give him a CPAP how on earth am I going to get him to keep it on or get it on him at all? Thoughts?