Sleeping Disorders

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2012, 10:23 PM
RE: Sleeping Disorders
(29-03-2012 10:10 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  
(29-03-2012 09:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What Erx said. One of my friends is a nurse, and she was given a CPAP, and she HATES it, and tends to not wear it.

The Night Terrors are a totally separate issue from Sleep Apnea. Is your child over-weight ? If so, that can be fixed, maybe. You might want to ask them to put a portable, (around the neck) cardiac monitor on him for a night, just for a look-see, at what is happening. (They probably do that during a sleep study anyway). If he has an arrhythmia, it can explain the apnea. Many kids just grow out of it. There are alarms available to wake him up, if it lasts longer than a certain number of seconds..they set it by prescription. If your family has a history of big tonsils/adenoids, they can come out, easily....http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/childapnea.html

I know nothing about the terrors issue.
His daddy had tonsils that were removed when he was six. My little guy too has had several episodes of Strep. Then a bacterial infection within his tonsils that got him sent to the E.R. In short...his first three years have been nothing but endless trials for him. We are assuming he is more or less waking up terrified due to the ceasing of breath and gasping that tends to follow. It is scary enough as an adult...but as a toddler...that must be nothing short of instant panic attack.
Not really sure of anything beyond the Sleep Apnea which is already subject of suspicion at this time.
Which begs the question...if they give him a CPAP how on earth am I going to get him to keep it on or get it on him at all? Thoughts?

The only kids I've ever seen on a CPAP have Cystic Fibrosis, (if he had that, you'd know by now). Sounds like it's the Tonsils issue. "In children with enlarged tonsils and adenoids that lead to obstructive sleep apnea, an adenotonsillectomy usually results in complete cure". If he's not WAY heavy, that's almost certainly the problem. AT the VERY low end of probability, if it's an arrhythmia, he'll get a pacemaker, (also a very easy procedure).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Oye....with daddy's heart murmur....and the medical history of our families....anything is possible. Hopefully at the worst my little guy will need his tonsils removed and that will be that.
[+] 1 user Likes AnotherSinner's post
29-03-2012, 11:38 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 06:23 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-03-2012 10:59 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Oye....with daddy's heart murmur....and the medical history of our families....anything is possible. Hopefully at the worst my little guy will need his tonsils removed and that will be that.

Until his tonsils come out, you might try having him sleep in a recliner, (if he would accept doing that), with his head tilted up, instead of laying down flat. His airway would probably not close off so much in a more upright position, (like kids with Asthma and people with COPD do).

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
30-03-2012, 07:45 AM
(29-03-2012 09:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I know nothing about the terrors issue.
No, but your wife/gf/SanOnofreSurfer does. Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-03-2012, 07:53 AM
I get sleep apnea when I drink a lot. It sucks. I feel like I've fallen asleep for just a few minutes and I just stop breathing. It startles me and I wake up to breath. I actually do 'wake up' though. I've tried to count how often it happens but lose track. I'd say some nights I stop breathing maybe 50 times. I get no sleep. It doesn't seem to be as bad if I haven't also smoked a pack or two of cigarettes.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
30-03-2012, 08:31 AM
(29-03-2012 11:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-03-2012 10:59 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Oye....with daddy's heart murmur....and the medical history of our families....anything is possible. Hopefully at the worst my little guy will need his tonsils removed and that will be that.

Until his tonsils come out, you might try having him sleep in a recliner, (if he would accept doing that), with his head tilted up, instead of laying down flat. His airway would probably not close off so much in a more upright position, (like kids with Asthma and people with COPD do).

You should see my boy sleep. Tried doing that before and I tell you....he ends up on the floor all curled up a like a little ball. If not laying on his stomach. Which is how we usually lay him anymore, if not, on his side seeing as as you from what I have read and you have stated laying him on his back is just not good.
My tot is a thrasher, a roller, you name it...and there is likely little the boy does not do.

(30-03-2012 07:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I get sleep apnea when I drink a lot. It sucks. I feel like I've fallen asleep for just a few minutes and I just stop breathing. It startles me and I wake up to breath. I actually do 'wake up' though. I've tried to count how often it happens but lose track. I'd say some nights I stop breathing maybe 50 times. I get no sleep. It doesn't seem to be as bad if I haven't also smoked a pack or two of cigarettes.
I may have to hide after saying this but....from what I have read. Drinking alcohol before sleep is not recommended. Especially with sleep apnea, it is a habit that is discouraged. Had to share this with my spouse to as he tends to drink after the little ones have gone to bed and not too long before he decides to do the same himself....and he has had sleeping issues since the days we dated.
*Hides and cowers*
30-03-2012, 08:46 AM
(30-03-2012 08:31 AM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  
(29-03-2012 11:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Until his tonsils come out, you might try having him sleep in a recliner, (if he would accept doing that), with his head tilted up, instead of laying down flat. His airway would probably not close off so much in a more upright position, (like kids with Asthma and people with COPD do).

You should see my boy sleep. Tried doing that before and I tell you....he ends up on the floor all curled up a like a little ball. If not laying on his stomach. Which is how we usually lay him anymore, if not, on his side seeing as as you from what I have read and you have stated laying him on his back is just not good.
My tot is a thrasher, a roller, you name it...and there is likely little the boy does not do.

(30-03-2012 07:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I get sleep apnea when I drink a lot. It sucks. I feel like I've fallen asleep for just a few minutes and I just stop breathing. It startles me and I wake up to breath. I actually do 'wake up' though. I've tried to count how often it happens but lose track. I'd say some nights I stop breathing maybe 50 times. I get no sleep. It doesn't seem to be as bad if I haven't also smoked a pack or two of cigarettes.
I may have to hide after saying this but....from what I have read. Drinking alcohol before sleep is not recommended. Especially with sleep apnea, it is a habit that is discouraged. Had to share this with my spouse to as he tends to drink after the little ones have gone to bed and not too long before he decides to do the same himself....and he has had sleeping issues since the days we dated.
*Hides and cowers*
Not sure why you'd hide. Wink It happens mostly after long days of drinking. If I hit the golf course on Sunday morning I might drink throughout the day from say 10 am to whenever. Not like trashed and trowing up drunk but maybe a 20 pack over 12 hours. Couple that with smoking a pack on the course and I have trouble sleeping. I also get drinkers insomnia. And after too many drinks it doesn't matter what time I go to bed I still wake up at dawn.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
30-03-2012, 12:34 PM
(30-03-2012 08:31 AM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  I may have to hide after saying this but....from what I have read. Drinking alcohol before sleep is not recommended. Especially with sleep apnea, it is a habit that is discouraged. Had to share this with my spouse to as he tends to drink after the little ones have gone to bed and not too long before he decides to do the same himself....and he has had sleeping issues since the days we dated.
*Hides and cowers*

It's certainly not recommended for 3 year olds. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-03-2012, 01:57 PM
(30-03-2012 07:45 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(29-03-2012 09:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I know nothing about the terrors issue.
No, but your wife/gf/SanOnofreSurfer does. Laughat

San O, (Brett .. the "jr varsity") is a boy. If I *had* a bf ... oh never mind. Tongue

03-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I had insomnia for 2 years >_>
From I was 12-14 D: but luckily I got some melatonin