Slipping Away From Islam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2015, 11:22 AM
RE: Slipping Away From Islam
Wow, I just froze up for a couple of minutes, imagining what my life would have been like if the internet had existed like it does now, back when I was detoxifying from my childhood religious indoctrination. I honestly don't know if the support like TTA provides would have helped or frightened me, back then. Probably the former, but who knows?

Welcome, HiApryl. You need not fear being judged for your beliefs, so long as they are held with honest intent and intellectual rigor. Your willingness to take a close look at your ideas shows a great deal of bravery, whatever you decide.

One thing, though: if there are no gods, then your rejection of the claims of those who say that Allah is real (or Jehovah, Yahweh, etc) is not "the will of Allah", but you finally exerting your own will over the mythologies that people have made up to control your mind. Consider carefully whether the things "Allah" says sound like the work of a genuine, omnipotent creator of the whole universe, or the tiny-minded teachings of desert warrior-priests... that is to say, humans. When those people tell you that "Allah wills it", what they typically mean to say is "humans will it, but you won't just listen to humans, so we have to make up a bigger being so you'll do it". Food for thought.

Again, welcome to TTA, and good luck. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-08-2015, 03:43 PM
WOW!
I have never felt this welcomed on an internet forum in my life!

When I entered a few Islamic forums and introduced myself everyone was all negative and telling me to make prayers, read the Quran. Speak to my local imam (leader of Islamic mosque)

Here it feels like you guys just opened up the doors and shouted out "mi casa es su casa" or shall I say it felt more like "liquor in the front, poker in the rear"

I will be posting and hope to come active in a few days

Here to share, learn and find out where I belong.
_____ ______ _____ ______ _____ ______ _____ ______ _____ ______
Aliza Wrote:  I can help you with understanding Judaism, but I know very little about Islam in return. Maybe you can help me with that. =)

You might be someone I will need. Islam claims to be a continuation (or more of the final revelation and fix) of Judaism and Christianity, but yet we are so different, yet all we do is bad talk those two.
Quote:
Bows and Arrows Wrote:  why are there quotes in the middle of your intro?Dodgy
Chas Wrote:  "By the end of it all, if I leave my religion, it should be because Allah (God) has willed it" is meant as humor, right? Consider

Nope, no humour.. quoted a Quranic verse: "For indeed, Allah sends astray whom He wills and guides whom He wills" - Quran 35:8 its in the Quran about 3 times I believe. So the big man (or women) upstairs should know what he/she is doing if this is the path I am taking.

Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.” - Brian Kilmeade Bowing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like HiApryl's post
19-08-2015, 03:48 PM
(19-08-2015 03:43 PM)HiApryl Wrote:  WOW!
I have never felt this welcomed on an internet forum in my life!

When I entered a few Islamic forums and introduced myself everyone was all negative and telling me to make prayers, read the Quran. Speak to my local imam (leader of Islamic mosque)

Here it feels like you guys just opened up the doors and shouted out "mi casa es su casa" or shall I say it felt more like "liquor in the front, poker in the rear"

I will be posting and hope to come active in a few days

Here to share, learn and find out where I belong.
_____ ______ _____ ______ _____ ______ _____ ______ _____ ______
Aliza Wrote:  I can help you with understanding Judaism, but I know very little about Islam in return. Maybe you can help me with that. =)

You might be someone I will need. Islam claims to be a continuation (or more of the final revelation and fix) of Judaism and Christianity, but yet we are so different, yet all we do is bad talk those two.
Quote:

Nope, no humour.. quoted a Quranic verse: "For indeed, Allah sends astray whom He wills and guides whom He wills" - Quran 35:8 its in the Quran about 3 times I believe. So the big man (or women) upstairs should know what he/she is doing if this is the path I am taking.

Don't want to create an alternative path here in an introduction thread. But just to ensure I got your position as of now....you are questioning the validity of the teachings/tenets of faith, but believe that allah/god exists in some capacity, do I have it right?

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
19-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Islam is founded on a prior Arabic myth system.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid169445

Not only that, but it's entirely possible that Muhammad never really existed.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-08-2015, 04:14 PM
(19-08-2015 04:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Islam is founded on a prior Arabic myth system.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid169445

Not only that, but it's entirely possible that Muhammad never really existed.

Alright ... down you little snapdragon. This is an introduction thread.

Mind your fucking manners. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
19-08-2015, 04:18 PM
OP : "Feel free to bash my religion all you want, teach me, give me information, make me question every single thing."

Just doing what was asked. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-08-2015, 05:36 PM
(19-08-2015 04:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  OP : "Feel free to bash my religion all you want, teach me, give me information, make me question every single thing."

Just doing what was asked. Tongue

Which will be welcomed when he opens a new thread in a few days like he said he would. This is still the intro thread.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Welcome, and may you find truth. Not what you have been taught is truth, but may YOU FIND it, on your own. Hope you enjoy it here. Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
20-08-2015, 02:05 AM
Welcome Smile Your willingness to question is a wonderful thing Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-08-2015, 09:46 AM
(19-08-2015 11:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 09:17 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  why are there quotes in the middle of your intro?

Fixed. I house-keeped Big Grin

so you originally quoted his/her intro? Or was the intro copied from somewhere else?

my troll alarm is starting to squeak, but carry on. Bowing

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller