Slow cooker

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Slow cooker
I got a slow cooker for Xmas, but I'm making my first run at it today.
Starting simple with pot roast:
  • 2.5 lb pot roast
  • potatoes
  • onions
  • celery
  • carrots
  • beef bouillon in 1 cup water
  • dry sherry
  • garlic
  • salt
  • black pepper
It's been on for almost 4 hours, starting to smell really good.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
04-02-2013, 01:37 PM
RE: Slow cooker
Drooling
Can I has some!?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
04-02-2013, 02:38 PM
(04-02-2013 01:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  I got a slow cooker for Xmas, but I'm making my first run at it today.
  • 2.5 lb pot roast
  • potatoes
  • onions
  • celery
  • carrots
  • dry sherry
  • garlic
  • salt
  • black pepper
Excellent. If you find the roast isn't quite as tender and juicy as you like, try searing it in some hot oil first to lock all the goodness in. Then put some of the liquid in the pan, and bring it to a boil, scraping up all the tasty brown bits left in the pan. Dump it in the cooker, and Bob's you uncle.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
04-02-2013, 02:49 PM
(04-02-2013 02:38 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 01:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  I got a slow cooker for Xmas, but I'm making my first run at it today.
  • 2.5 lb pot roast
  • potatoes
  • onions
  • celery
  • carrots
  • dry sherry
  • garlic
  • salt
  • black pepper
Excellent. If you find the roast isn't quite as tender and juicy as you like, try searing it in some hot oil first to lock all the goodness in. Then put some of the liquid in the pan, and bring it to a boil, scraping up all the tasty brown bits left in the pan. Dump it in the cooker, and Bob's you uncle.

Oh, I did remember to sear it first - you had suggested that before. Thumbsup

But I didn't do the liquid and bits bit. Weeping

04-02-2013, 06:33 PM
So long as you seared it, that's the important part. It'll be awesome! (just be careful you don't over cook it. That's the most common mistake with slow cooker roasts.)

Save me some!

Just visiting.

-SR
04-02-2013, 06:50 PM
(04-02-2013 06:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So long as you seared it, that's the important part. It'll be awesome! (just be careful you don't over cook it. That's the most common mistake with slow cooker roasts.)

Save me some!

Well, it was 6 hours and it was overdone. Not badly, but I'd guess it was probably done at 4 1/2.

It was still quite tasty. And there are leftovers.

Next time, more pepper, more garlic, maybe something like a bay leaf. Worcestershire?

04-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Great. When are we coming over to eat? Drooling
05-02-2013, 12:26 AM
(04-02-2013 06:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 06:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So long as you seared it, that's the important part. It'll be awesome! (just be careful you don't over cook it. That's the most common mistake with slow cooker roasts.)

Save me some!

Well, it was 6 hours and it was overdone. Not badly, but I'd guess it was probably done at 4 1/2.

It was still quite tasty. And there are leftovers.

Next time, more pepper, more garlic, maybe something like a bay leaf. Worcestershire?
Try this:

Mix upa whole bunch finely minced garlic, onion, and about half the herbs you plan to use (parsley, bay, whatever. Even Italian seasoning is great if you make a tomato based gravy) Splash on some Worcestershire, and a bit of seasoning salt (and whatever else you want!) Mix it up, squeeze out excess liquid, and apply to the seared roast like a rub. A bunch will fall off, but don't be shy. Get lots a that shit on there. About a half hour before it's done, sprinkle your remaining herbs all over the roast.

With a little practice, you'll get an amazing crust on the outside of each slice, packed with flavor. Plus, as the garlic and onion cook, their juices are slowly running out of the past and basting your roast. Now you can start experimenting depending on your taste. Like pepper? Add a fistful of coarse ground peppercorns to your paste. Spicy? How bout a freshly chopped habanero from the window garden? (you do grow peppers in your south facing windows don't you? Wink )

Awesomeness.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
05-02-2013, 10:27 AM
That sounds awsome and I will try this next time. I love crusted things. I had some salmon with a black crust in a nice restaurant once, and they would not tell me what the crust consisted of. Just herbs and such. I wish I knew what it was, it was the best salmon I ever tasted and I am a salmon lover and have eaten it every which way.
Chas, the bits left from the searing add incredible flavor, you definitely have to rescue them next time. Everything dark that's left in the pan is concentrated flavor. You'll notice the difference instantly if you remember to do that next time.
And that goes for "bits" left over from searing/frying anything. They are gold.
This is the reason why I went for a grill that has a "flavor bar". This bar collects drippings in a pan under the grill, and it is amazing what comes off even though the hot grill sears the meat almost instantly.
There is nothing better than "bits".

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
05-02-2013, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 10:54 AM by kim.)
(05-02-2013 10:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  And that goes for "bits" left over from searing/frying anything. They are gold.

Yes Only way to make a roux. Yes

Drooling Drooling Drooling Drooling

Just some ideas.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post