Slow cooker roast from frozen?
Yea or nay?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2016, 11:13 AM
RE: Slow cooker roast from frozen?
I would guess nay!

By the time the core was unfrozen the outer layers could grow millions of bugs in that nice warm, humid atmosphere at number doubling once every 20 minutes for some.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
09-10-2016, 11:14 AM
How big?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-10-2016, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2016 11:35 AM by Gloucester.)
(09-10-2016 11:14 AM)Dom Wrote:  How big?

True, size matters!

09-10-2016, 11:25 AM

2.5 lbs. I figured the only problems with doing it from frozen is it needs to be cooked longer and you can't brown the meat to seal in the juices. But maybe I want the juices as part of the sauce no?

#sigh
09-10-2016, 11:25 AM
The more tender the meat, the more heat and shorter time required. Coming from a freezer, lengthens the time in either case. But the rule of thumb remains.

I forgot to add yay.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
09-10-2016, 11:31 AM
(09-10-2016 11:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

2.5 lbs. I figured the only problems with doing it from frozen is it needs to be cooked longer and you can't brown the meat to seal in the juices. But maybe I want the juices as part of the sauce no?

Turn it on high, wait til it's hot, coat the meat with oil and put in dry cooker.
Keep checking constantly and turning until slightly seared, then add liquids and stuff and cook on medium until it's done.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Shape?

Slab better than roll or joint? Latter needs more turning?

09-10-2016, 11:48 AM
(09-10-2016 11:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 11:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  2.5 lbs. I figured the only problems with doing it from frozen is it needs to be cooked longer and you can't brown the meat to seal in the juices. But maybe I want the juices as part of the sauce no?

Turn it on high, wait til it's hot, coat the meat with oil and put in dry cooker.
Keep checking constantly and turning until slightly seared, then add liquids and stuff and cook on medium until it's done.

That's a good idea. But I already threw the chuck roast in with a couple cans of V8 and some onion and garlic powder and a couple of bay leaves. Gonna cook it on high for 1 hour and then add the onions, carrots, and potatoes and go low for 4-5 hours. We'll see what happens.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-10-2016, 11:50 AM
(09-10-2016 11:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 11:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  Turn it on high, wait til it's hot, coat the meat with oil and put in dry cooker.

That's a good idea. But I already threw the chuck roast in with a couple cans of V8 and some onion and garlic powder and a couple of bay leaves. Gonna cook it on high for 1 hour and then add the onions, carrots, and potatoes and go low for 4-5 hours. We'll see what happens.

It'll work. Just make sure it's cooked all the way through.