Slow cooker

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2012, 11:41 PM
RE: Slow cooker
Never hear of searing it, maybe I'll give it a try this weekend. After reading all of this I am hungry for some stew!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2012, 11:55 PM
(14-11-2012 11:41 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Never hear of searing it, maybe I'll give it a try this weekend. After reading all of this I am hungry for some stew!
If you end up trying it, here's an awesome tip for garlic lovers.......

Start with about three tablespoons of good oil, or one tablespoon bacon grease.

Heat to medium (don't let bacon grease burn) and turn down to low.

Add minced garlic (I add about 3 tbsp), cover, and let roast for about 20 minutes. Then drain oil from garlic through a fine sieve, back into the pan.

Now you use that oil to sear your meat, and so on.

Takes time, but it's fucking worth it. Amazing stew.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
15-11-2012, 01:09 AM
(14-11-2012 11:55 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 11:41 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Never hear of searing it, maybe I'll give it a try this weekend. After reading all of this I am hungry for some stew!
If you end up trying it, here's an awesome tip for garlic lovers.......

Start with about three tablespoons of good oil, or one tablespoon bacon grease.

Heat to medium (don't let bacon grease burn) and turn down to low.

Add minced garlic (I add about 3 tbsp), cover, and let roast for about 20 minutes. Then drain oil from garlic through a fine sieve, back into the pan.

Now you use that oil to sear your meat, and so on.

Takes time, but it's fucking worth it. Amazing stew.
To be perfectly honest, I don't know much about cooking, but I'm not oppose to trying. I usually just go with the basics because it's the easiest way out, and I never learned how from Dad, which I regret. Mom was never as good of a cook as my Dad, but Dad will never be as good as my Maw (grandma). Thanks for the tips.

PS What is 'good oil'?

15-11-2012, 07:33 AM
I bought mine time ago from a shop called Argos and it was the cheapest value one they did (it was only £20) and it is still going strong. The only downside is it is only 5 litres/liters in capacity, on reflection I would of paid a bit more and got a 7-8 litre/liter one instead.

I mainly make stews and soups with mine but I dont use it as often as I used to nowadays.

Dumplings.......... in stew..... with thickly buttered bread Drooling

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
28-11-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm slowly getting more skills in cooking. Since reading this thread, I really wanted to try making a stew in a slow cooker. It tastes exactly how my mom makes it. Now I'm sort of dealing with memories triggered by taste. But I made a good stew!!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
16-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Ok, so I usually get my meat from local farmers. That usually means getting a huge chunks, and butchering it myself. Recently I got some great pork chops, but the ends were pretty fibrous. So I cut off the ends (got three loins, so six ends) and have been experimenting with them in the slow cooker ala Erxomai. Here's my findings so far:

The most tender and juicy pulled pork seems to come from cooking a smaller piece of meat for about five hours. Six heaping sandwiches worth appears to be the perfect amount.

I've experimented with several different combos, and so far the entire family agrees; half root beer, half ginger ale makes the best pulled pork.

Letting the pork rest over night with a simple rub, then searing in hot oil gives the outside an amazing flavor. I've been using a very salty rub to go with the sweetness. Some Tony's Seasoning added in gives it a perfect, subtle zip.

Fresh biscuits are now the ONLY way we'll eat this. Hot out of the oven.

After I shred the pork, I dump it back into the cooker with all the juices for about 15 minutes. Then I scoop it back out with a slotted spoon (don't over drain it. You wanna let that juice stay with the meat), let it rest for a few minutes under foil, then scoop onto biscuits.

Today I made it for lunch, and we all nearly made ourselves sick. Thanks for the idea Erx!!

P.S. we don't use BBQ sauce at all. It just over powers the incredible flavor.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
16-12-2012, 02:34 PM
(16-12-2012 02:17 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Ok, so I usually get my meat from local farmers. That usually means getting a huge chunks, and butchering it myself. Recently I got some great pork chops, but the ends were pretty fibrous. So I cut off the ends (got three loins, so six ends) and have been experimenting with them in the slow cooker ala Erxomai. Here's my findings so far:

The most tender and juicy pulled pork seems to come from cooking a smaller piece of meat for about five hours. Six heaping sandwiches worth appears to be the perfect amount.

I've experimented with several different combos, and so far the entire family agrees; half root beer, half ginger ale makes the best pulled pork.

Letting the pork rest over night with a simple rub, then searing in hot oil gives the outside an amazing flavor. I've been using a very salty rub to go with the sweetness. Some Tony's Seasoning added in gives it a perfect, subtle zip.

Fresh biscuits are now the ONLY way we'll eat this. Hot out of the oven.

After I shred the pork, I dump it back into the cooker with all the juices for about 15 minutes. Then I scoop it back out with a slotted spoon (don't over drain it. You wanna let that juice stay with the meat), let it rest for a few minutes under foil, then scoop onto biscuits.

Today I made it for lunch, and we all nearly made ourselves sick. Thanks for the idea Erx!!

P.S. we don't use BBQ sauce at all. It just over powers the incredible flavor.
Drooling OMG OMG OMG OMG! *JEALOUS*

So taking out the slow cooker tomorrow for some stew.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
22-12-2012, 04:36 PM
There's a bow-hunter who lives up the street from me. Every year I fork over a hundred or so dollars for a whole deer to put in my deep-freezer. My favorite slow-cooker meal is a deer neck-roast; injected with cloves of garlic (like loading rounds into a revolver), wrapped in bacon and surrounded by onions and potatoes.

After it's roasted for about 6 hours, all of the juices from the meat, the fat and the vegetables creates a deep broth in which the roast has been boiling. The meat literally slides off the bone. It's the only food that's ever actually made me moan. lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2012, 05:40 PM
(22-12-2012 04:36 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  There's a bow-hunter who lives up the street from me. Every year I fork over a hundred or so dollars for a whole deer to put in my deep-freezer. My favorite slow-cooker meal is a deer neck-roast; injected with cloves of garlic (like loading rounds into a revolver), wrapped in bacon and surrounded by onions and potatoes.

After it's roasted for about 6 hours, all of the juices from the meat, the fat and the vegetables creates a deep broth in which the roast has been boiling. The meat literally slides off the bone. It's the only food that's ever actually made me moan. lol
You sir, are evil.

.....didn't get a deer this year. Sad

I'm comin to your place!

Just visiting.

-SR
22-12-2012, 06:14 PM
(22-12-2012 05:40 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 04:36 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  There's a bow-hunter who lives up the street from me. Every year I fork over a hundred or so dollars for a whole deer to put in my deep-freezer. My favorite slow-cooker meal is a deer neck-roast; injected with cloves of garlic (like loading rounds into a revolver), wrapped in bacon and surrounded by onions and potatoes.

You sir, are evil.

.....didn't get a deer this year. Sad

I'm comin to your place!

lol. Come on over, my friend. I've got a freezer full of roasts, tenderloins and burger - all ready to go.

(Just be sure to bring some of your best herb...if you catch my drift)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user